How bad did the weather hurt your area ??

soupkids

We got 2 or 3 inches the past day. Not sure how it has helped the trails. Talking to a sledder that lives on Chandos. Before today the lake was like a skating rink. This snow should help the slide lubrication.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been out of the snowmobile hobby now for 30 years, but as a kid lived on them 2-3 hrs per day every day growing up in Peterborough. I was hoping to spring check a new 2019 Skidoo Renegade this March now that i am at a point in my life where i can afford one, but with all this crap weather and no snow I am thinking snowmobiling is not the right hobby to get into, but I am very disappointed as I love snowmobiles. Living in Whitby and having a cottage on the 5 points trail system along the 507 I have no issues driving a couple hours to sled but it seems you have to drive much farther than that if you want snow. Global warming sucks !!!

Don't give up folks.  It is only the second week of January.  There is still plenty of winter ahead.  Think positive!!!!

26 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Don't give up folks.  It is only the second week of January.  There is still plenty of winter ahead.  Think positive!!!!

Just the past is casting a shadow on this season too. As long as march is good, I will be happy. Already got 30 percent of my yearly miles in. For January it is decent. February and march I can get some serious miles if weather co-operates. 

51 minutes ago, hancop said:

I have been out of the snowmobile hobby now for 30 years, but as a kid lived on them 2-3 hrs per day every day growing up in Peterborough. I was hoping to spring check a new 2019 Skidoo Renegade this March now that i am at a point in my life where i can afford one, but with all this crap weather and no snow I am thinking snowmobiling is not the right hobby to get into, but I am very disappointed as I love snowmobiles. Living in Whitby and having a cottage on the 5 points trail system along the 507 I have no issues driving a couple hours to sled but it seems you have to drive much farther than that if you want snow. Global warming sucks !!!

Just buy a 5000$ sled. You do not have to ride a new 15k sled to have fun.

7 minutes ago, zoso said:

That is true lots of lower miles sleds available if you look around enough. Also new left over sleds are appealing too. 

7 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

That is true lots of lower miles sleds available if you look around enough. Also new left over sleds are appealing too. 

Right now a 2017 crosstour 7000 can be had for 10500, or a 2017 zr 7000 for 9999 brand new leftovers. These sleds have an msrp of 14800 and 15500, substantial discounts.plus 0% finance for 60 months so your cash can earn money for five years.

8 minutes ago, zoso said:

Right now a 2017 crosstour 7000 can be had for 10500, or a 2017 zr 7000 for 9999 brand new leftovers. These sleds have an msrp of 14800 and 15500, substantial discounts.plus 0% finance for 60 months so your cash can earn money for five years.

That is great value no doubt. Suee 02 would snap it up, if he could get a third sled in that trailer. Lol

8 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

That is great value no doubt. Suee 02 would snap it up, if he could get a third sled in that trailer. Lol

No need for a 3rd. Not even sure about the second one we have. My wife isn't as keen on the sport as she used to be. I've been alternating between riding mine and riding hers to keep them both in use.

5 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

No need for a 3rd. Not even sure about the second one we have. My wife isn't as keen on the sport as she used to be. I've been alternating between riding mine and riding hers to keep them both in use.

true, crappy weather no doubt. I have one tank of fuel ran there each sled so far this season. 

9 hours ago, zoso said:

You got that right.  With the people with DEEP POCKETS buying the newest, fasted, most high tech sled every year, the used stuff is all over.  Some real good, some previously blown up.  You take your chances in trying to determine this.  Not even sure if buying from a dealer helps, especially the fly by night car dealers with the sled tent in the back.  But if you have half a brain and can run a wrench, you totally dis-assemble it, and put it back together replacing all the questionable things and in the end, you have a real reliable sled.  And you did not pay any labor to do it.

BP

8 minutes ago, slowbutsure said:

Thinking anything will be open for Friday?  Or all trails will stay red with the rain coming in?

Not sure what area you are speaking of but if there was enough snow in southern Ontario to be open trails would likely be yellow now IMHO. With the forcasted mild temps I doubt too many red ones will change colour.

5 hours ago, slowbutsure said:

Thinking anything will be open for Friday?  Or all trails will stay red with the rain coming in?

Just got back from riding the b trail around wasaga and 601/301 over to the c trail. Wasn't to bad, some fields were pretty thin over the crest of hills from wind. I'm hoping they turn em red to reduce riders on the weekend. If people stay off them they will be good to go next time we get a little snow 

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0415.jpg

I am a little concerned about buying used as have heard horror stories even from those who are in the know and buy one. A left over i would be interested in but want a Skidoo renegade ideally or mxz and those leftovers don't seem to be available anywhere. 

11 minutes ago, hancop said:

I am a little concerned about buying used as have heard horror stories even from those who are in the know and buy one. A left over i would be interested in but want a Skidoo renegade ideally or mxz and those leftovers don't seem to be available anywhere. 

Have you tried the buy/sell section? There’s also a few on kijiji

If anybody is looking for a great deal, check Aberfoyle snowmobiles. They have a non-current 2017 ZR 5000 137 in. for $9795. including taxes and pdi. The cheapest I seen them was $9999. plus taxes and pdi. It has the Suzuki 4 stroke engine.

2 hours ago, hancop said:

I picked up my Vector back Nov i had researched the hell out of sledding the tech around it the differences in engine types and locked down on a vector or similar sled (apex / viper etc) I started watching Kijiji in september and visited a few different sleds the biggest challenge i find is assessing the prev owner and that can be done in all of 15 - 20 mins at the visit. I knew i wanted something good for easy trail riding and a engine that's not gonna leave me stuck in the bush by buying a older high mileage sled landed me on the Yamaha 4 stroke. and knock on wood it's been rock solid. 

I selected this sled cause the price was perfect but even besides that it was a husband and wife team she sold her vector earlier that month less mileage on hers i guess and the seller was up front and honest about his riding behaviour as well as his maintenance of the sled he was always having the sled worked on at the local dealerships didn't appear to be modding it himself in anyway and was a trail explorer not from what i could tell a hotdog pinning the throttle everywhere. 

So i dropped the Offer for 3k down and he took it even tho he had just 3 days prior got it back form the dealer for 700+ in repairs and seasonal upkeep mostly he had 2 other new 800 E-tek skidoos in the garage for them and wanted to get rid of it but i think he also assessed me as a buyer as someone whos going to continue to look after the sled.he could have easily asked for more to help offset the recent repairs and I would have more than likely have agreed to adjust the price as i knew this would most likely be something that will get me through a few seasons with proper care and maintenance.

Buying used even older sleds like mine is not as scary as it sounds ignore the paint the abundance of stickers or flashy wrap and look at the owner and his experiences with the sled like i said i visited probably 5 other Yamaha's with the 120HP 4 stroke and all of them isn't anything abundly clear looking at the sled, almost all of them were walked away from due to previous owner interaction during the visit. be it lack of maintenance know how by the owner or they seems to be trying to avoid certain aspects of the Q&A or they were straight up throttle jocks which lead to finding tunnel or other damage...

Last thing i'll add is buying used isn't going to be a one time pay and be free to ride carefree I expect maintenance costs even some expensive repairs but say i get 3 years out of this sled or more and if i spend under 2500k on maint that'll be 3 good years for 5500 bucks all in and the sled will still have similar to same value on a resale and i'll be keeping all receipts and the receipts i have from the prev owner and the next owner will have a clear record this sled was looked after and is value for the money being spent. While new sled owners buying that 15K Apex etc. will have lost almost the same amount in depreciation in the same amount of time.

2 hours ago, thetorches said:

If anybody is looking for a great deal, check Aberfoyle snowmobiles. They have a non-current 2017 ZR 5000 137 in. for $9795. including taxes and pdi. The cheapest I seen them was $9999. plus taxes and pdi. It has the Suzuki 4 stroke engine.

But then you would have a Cat :lmao:

26 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

But then you would have a Cat

And if you bought a new Yamaha, YOU would have a Cat.

And that is why I am probably on my last Yamaha. :(

17 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

And that is why I am probably on my last Yamaha. :(

Wow going green next I assume? Same quality lower price compared to Yamaha. 

Archived