How bad did the weather hurt your area ??

soupkids

7 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Yup. Pack your bags. 

Awesome!!! TY!!!

And let’s hope there aren’t any more issues with Mother Nature before at least Mid April for you guys north of the border, and April 1 for us south of the border in Mi!!!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every club needs to invest in trail cams...shouldn’t have to buy it seems like this may be a good way to catch some of the idiots getting trails shutdown.

My buddy was just telling me Kingston area got around 10cm last night and is supposed to receive another 10-15 thismornin...

2 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Every club needs to invest in trail cams...shouldn’t have to buy it seems like this may be a good way to catch some of the idiots getting trails shutdown.

Not sure if that's viable solution. We have some in place @ our woodlot. Their reaction time is very slow during winter. I'll get pics of my sled track in the snow, but no pic of me. Last Thanksgiving we got pics of 2 ATVers trespassing, but nothing showing the licence plate.

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Not sure if that's viable solution. We have some in place @ our woodlot. Their reaction time is very slow during winter. I'll get pics of my sled track in the snow, but no pic of me. Last Thanksgiving we got pics of 2 ATVers trespassing, but nothing showing the licence plate.

Does yours not have a video option?

6 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Does yours not have a video option?

Yes, but they use up batteries quicker. Even in warm weather you need to have a slight delay otherwise you get hundreds of pics of nothing.

Northern Ontario

We were not immune to the January Thaw in some parts of Northern Ontario.  Here are a few photos from my Camp this morning. Its located west of Iron Bridge at Basswood Lake.  (West of the D134 and North of the D Trail - between Blind River and Thessalon).  I suspect it will be difficult to establish an east/west link between Blind River and Thessalon anytime soon, unless significant snow falls.  I've owned this camp for 13 years and In that time have only see a few winters like this one.  

The good news is, as you progress westward towards the Sault, snowdepth significantly increases.  North of Sault Ste. Marie still has good snowdepth. 

UPDATES:  Additional Fresh Power has arrived in both Sault Ste Marie and Iron Bridge areas as of Jan 15th.

camp-1.jpg

camp-2.jpg

1 hour ago, Dan-Senior said:

Northern Ontario

We were not immune to the January Thaw in some parts of Northern Ontario.  Here are a few photos from my Camp this morning. Its located west of Iron Bridge at Basswood Lake.  (West of the D134 and North of the D Trail - between Blind River and Thessalon).  I suspect it will be difficult to establish an east/west link between Blind River and Thessalon anytime soon, unless significant snow falls.  I've owned this camp for 13 years and In that time have only see a few winters like this one.  

The good news is, as you progress westward towards the Sault, snowdepth significantly increases.  North of Sault Ste. Marie still has good snowdepth.  However, snow is crusty hard until fresh powder arrives.

camp-1.jpg

camp-2.jpg

Dan,

TY for the update!!!

I sent you a message. 

March better be good or I will cry. Managed to get some local km's on before snow left. 

1 hour ago, zoso said:

End result is -15 and about 27 cm of fresh snow. Should be enough to see some grooming.

Really? Wow. We got 2.7 cm, and that's a stretch. Grrrr

5 minutes ago, Crow said:

Really? Wow. We got 2.7 cm, and that's a stretch. Grrrr

We're lucky if we got that.

6 minutes ago, revrnd said:

We're lucky if we got that.

Yeah, I might have exaggerated by 2 cm LOL. 

Apparently I am not far from Zoso, so was really surprised that they got that kind of accumulation. We don't get lake effect in Eastern Ontario that I have heard of.

10 minutes ago, Crow said:

Then again, he might have gotten all the snow from my area, because the friggin wind probably blew it there.

Yeah we better get snow soon before next melt arrives. I wonder if we keep getting bad winters no one will want to stake trails. 

14 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Yeah we better get snow soon before next melt arrives. I wonder if we keep getting bad winters no one will want to stake trails. 

VR, January thaw always seems to happen in my area. Stays warm and windy until the last snowflake has melted then turns cold again. Couple years ago we had 3 thaws in January. Forecast for the weekend shows above freezing Sat, Sun and Monday. I hope it doesn't snow until after that.

And if it wasn't for the trail work I'd have zero miles on the trails this year. Lol.

16 minutes ago, Crow said:

VR, January thaw always seems to happen in my area. Stays warm and windy until the last snowflake has melted then turns cold again. Couple years ago we had 3 thaws in January. Forecast for the weekend shows above freezing Sat, Sun and Monday. I hope it doesn't snow until after that.

And if it wasn't for the trail work I'd have zero miles on the trails this year. Lol.

Yeah we use to get one thaw and trails would hold up and be able to ride again after cold weather. We use to average 6 weeks of open trails. Now lucky if we get two weeks: last year was 3 days in my area   So far we have 5 days this year. 

Starting to loose faith in this sport. Not because of how much it costs, but because trails just don't stay open very long anymore. 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

Yeah we use to get one thaw and trails would hold up and be able to ride again after cold weather. We use to average 6 weeks of open trails. Now lucky if we get two weeks: last year was 3 days in my area   So far we have 5 days this year. 

Starting to loose faith in this sport. Not because of how much it costs, but because trails just don't stay open very long anymore. 

You were talking not so long ago about going to EL or wherever ( "will be riding from jan 18 to Feb 13th. Will go any where there is snow. Hopefully there is open trails some where to ride then, because that is only time off I have".)  this winter sledding because you had 2 weeks in January and 2 in February to sled. Quit whining, put the sled in the trailer and get down the road.

8 minutes ago, hancop said:

More rain coming next weekend, and they are always right with rain forecast and always wrong with snow forecast. Global warming sucks, why can't we have global cooling

In the 70's science was positive we were headed for an ice age...maybe we just have to get a little warmer before we get the big freeze. 

My buddies were out on their dirt bikes today riding the 5 Points around Kinmount.   For those who know the area, they rode their bikes with studded tires up Greens Mountain this aft.   They sent me pics and there is 3-4 inches max on the ground up there.

On 2018-01-13 at 3:23 PM, zoso said:

In the 70's science was positive we were headed for an ice age...maybe we just have to get a little warmer before we get the big freeze. 

I heard big winters will return around 2030-2040...it’s all cycles

I will be too old to ride.

Archived