How bad did the weather hurt your area ??

soupkids

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen a new pic from.kenny on FB 

7 inches of new snow and groomers are going back at it

Just seen a new pic from.kenny on FB 

7 inches of new snow and groomers are going back at it

Weve gone from 15" on the snowstick to 4". Still I bet the trails are even thinner around here.

19 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Will do, I'll post some pics and a report over the weekend.

I know Karen is dying to ride as she is working this weekend, I'm thinking we might be heading back up there on Wednesday again.

Monday Buddy, Monday

Just turned to freezing rain here about 10mins ago! No more rain fellas! Just need snow!

3 hours ago, Crow said:

Nothing left here in Pakenham area, just the remains of drifts along the rail line and ditches.

Further south is the same, more rain and higher temps pretty much killed it here. It will take more than the 20 cm predicted to get back to open trails. Sad. Oh well, lets hope for snow and get the trailers ready, looks like a saddlebag in the north is now on the agenda. Might as well throw some good money after bad and go all in.

2 hours ago, Nunz said:

Looks like Cochrane is getting hit with snow as we speak, leaving work in a couple of hours and driving up this afternoon for the weekend.

Good for you, you are truly a hardcore sledder!

21 minutes ago, zoso said:

Further south is the same, more rain and higher temps pretty much killed it here. It will take more than the 20 cm predicted to get back to open trails. Sad. Oh well, lets hope for snow and get the trailers ready, looks like a saddlebag in the north is now on the agenda. Might as well throw some good money after bad and go all in.

If you decide to do a north ride I might be interested joining you might get more from the area make a convoy trip up there. I'm still hoping the Kingston > Montreal Corridor pans out and trails reopen but might be dusting off my buddy's trailer for the next few weeks to ride north. 

11 minutes ago, BruteMan said:

If you decide to do a north ride I might be interested joining you might get more from the area make a convoy trip up there. I'm still hoping the Kingston > Montreal Corridor pans out and trails reopen but might be dusting off my buddy's trailer for the next few weeks to ride north. 

My only issue is my kids job. We live rural and she works 35km away, I drive her. Scheduling around that and her upcoming drivers ed course which I will also have to driver her to will become the deciding factor in when or if I can escape north. If I do go north it would be to sudbury or massey to ride with my friends, no hotel bill that way. The way it would go down is convince the wife to take a week off work so I can leave and go sledding. I am pretty good, but not sure if I am this good.

8 minutes ago, zoso said:

I have to believe that alot of people are thinking the same. Only problem I have with it is when the few areas of open trails get overrun and beat up, leaving the clubs overwhelmed, overworked and sometimes underappreciated. 

4 minutes ago, Crow said:

I have to believe that alot of people are thinking the same. Only problem I have with it is when the few areas of open trails get overrun and beat up, leaving the clubs overwhelmed, overworked and sometimes underappreciated. 

I think the businesses in the north need and appreciate the money. The system is now set up to pay grooming hours, and when only a few areas are grooming that rate increases per hour to the maximum, so the clubs can afford a little more time in the groomers. Whereas is the entire system is running the money becomes tight and is rationalized through lower per hour payout. I have never heard an area in the north complain about tourists. When I was involved in Sudbury we always promoted tourism in the area, it was one of our mandates.

49 minutes ago, BruteMan said:

head up monday.

I'm leaving in the afternoon heading to cochrane Kap, and Hearst via the canyon.

7 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

Looks like the colour of red on the ITG has turned extremely red. They must mean business to stay off 

It's a work in progress.... I took a look yesterday and there were trails that showed red/yellow. Picture a wide yellow line for the trail then overlay a slightly narrower red line on the trail. Primarily red but if you look either side of the red line is a very narrow yellow line. Something tells me they should ensure that the coloured trail lines they lay down should be exactly the same width to prevent that. Imagine if they had a green line ever so slightly narrower than the red. You could have a heavy green bordered by a very narrow red bordered by a very narrow yellow.

1 hour ago, zoso said:

Zoso, this is the Riverside trail you rode a couple of weeks ago. Not pretty in Eastern Ontario. 

FB47347D-7653-4C61-94CF-501D53013668.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

Zoso, this is the Riverside trail you rode a couple of weeks ago. Not pretty in Eastern Ontario. 

FB47347D-7653-4C61-94CF-501D53013668.jpeg

Sorry Zoso, it wasn’t you. Grabbed the wrong quote. 

1 hour ago, zoso said:

I think the businesses in the north need and appreciate the money. The system is now set up to pay grooming hours, and when only a few areas are grooming that rate increases per hour to the maximum, so the clubs can afford a little more time in the groomers. Whereas is the entire system is running the money becomes tight and is rationalized through lower per hour payout. I have never heard an area in the north complain about tourists. When I was involved in Sudbury we always promoted tourism in the area, it was one of our mandates.

I tend to agree with you. My reference to underappreciated is in regards to negative posts to a clubs website by some ( seems like many, not OCers) from closed areas after trailering to the open areas and finding trails less than stellar because of extra traffic. There's only so many hours in a day for grooming effectively and safely. 

14 minutes ago, Crow said:

I tend to agree with you. My reference to underappreciated is in regards to negative posts to a clubs website by some ( seems like many, not OCers) from closed areas after trailering to the open areas and finding trails less than stellar because of extra traffic. There's only so many hours in a day for grooming effectively and safely. 

There will always be those that do not lift a finger yet are quick to complain. Especially on facebook, it is a have for crybabies.

47 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

Sorry Zoso, it wasn’t you. Grabbed the wrong quote. 

Thats ok Pete, it is how the athens trails look as well. Tems just made the switch and freezing rain has started. I made my kid call in to work, I will not drive 150km in this crap to get her to a four hour shift.

17 minutes ago, Crow said:

There seems to be a lot of riders that expect groomers to be out 7 days a week and that all clubs have enough resource to groom all of their trails at least once every 24 hours. When the throttle jockeys tear up a trail on their way out they are the first to complain about the moguls they find on their way back.

16 inches of snow turned to this, now freezing rain and soon some new snow, still hoping we get lots......my hopes however are diminishing. Please ignore the body parts in the green garbage bags. it is just mother nature and her entire family.DSCF5523.thumb.JPG.4bcd6df867a8e114c0a3a833d1ae8804.JPG

I'm going to be optimistic about the potential for the trails in the areas south and east of Georgian Bay. Looking out the window at home at a green lawn is somewhat disheartening however the rain quickly changed to freezing rain and then to snow in less than 20 minutes. I just got back from the store and when I left the truck was just starting to get a skim of ice. By the time I came out of the store it was now big flakes of snow.

If the lake effect snow machine kicks in along with the lower temps we could see squalls come in off the bay and dump a lot of snow. Just like they can be wrong when they predict lots they can be wrong when they predict a little.

20 minutes ago, zoso said:

Thats ok Pete, it is how the athens trails look as well. Tems just made the switch and freezing rain has started. I made my kid call in to work, I will not drive 150km in this crap to get her to a four hour shift.

Holy crap 150km?????????????????  That's dedication for employment.

19 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

There seems to be a lot of riders that expect groomers to be out 7 days a week and that all clubs have enough resource to groom all of their trails at least once every 24 hours. When the throttle jockeys tear up a trail on their way out they are the first to complain about the moguls they find on their way back.

Sad but true

14 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I'm going to be optimistic about the potential for the trails in the areas south and east of Georgian Bay. Looking out the window at home at a green lawn is somewhat disheartening however the rain quickly changed to freezing rain and then to snow in less than 20 minutes. I just got back from the store and when I left the truck was just starting to get a skim of ice. By the time I came out of the store it was now big flakes of snow.

If the lake effect snow machine kicks in along with the lower temps we could see squalls come in off the bay and dump a lot of snow. Just like they can be wrong when they predict lots they can be wrong when they predict a little.

I like your optimism 02sled. I'm with you on that one.

Trails are so bad in this area the ATV's are out on them already,  not that they really stop around here.

Archived