sled at the dealer.

zoso

So my sled is sitting at the dealer, waiting for my recall gas tank. This sled has lived inside its entire life and has only been out overnight when saddlebagging. I just hate the thought of it sitting in the rain then freezing, then snow while I wait for them to fix it. Why dealers do not book appointments is beyond logic. I always get just drop it off, then you get the we cannot get to it until next week. Not as big a deal for my old girl, but man if I just dropped 20k on a thundercat I would be a little more than pissed. Anyhow, nice of cat to finally recall a fuel tank that has been leaking and repaired by me for the past 8 years. 8 years of issues, multiple fires,  and finally they own up too the issue. I reported this to the government long ago as did thousands of others. if this were a car it would have been recalled instantly, sleds, nobody gives a crap.

I paid to have my leaking gas tank on my old sled replaced about 3 years ago. I called Cat about it when it was replaced and they said since it was out of warranty I was on my own. The local Cat dealer would have done just like you mentioned... taken the sled which has always been in an enclosed trailer and let it sit outside in the elements for a week or more in the middle of prime riding time.

I had Wild Bill replace the tank for me since I was on my own for the expense. With him I left the trailer for the week. He unloaded the sled, did the repair and put it back on the trailer mid week when I wasn't riding anyhow. Picked it up at the end of the week nice and clean in the trailer.

When the recall came out I got the notice but had already sold the sled. I contacted Cat and asked if they would compensate me what they would have paid the dealer for a tank replacement under the recall. At first they were on board but because it wasn't done by a Cat dealer, too bad. No compensation even though I had the invoice. Not a penny for something that was defective.

The current sleds are Cats. The bit of warranty work I have had done the dealer made an appointment. I dropped the sleds off, went for breakfast / lunch / etc. and they would call my cell phone when they were done. To me that's excellent service. Now that it's out of warranty. I'll take them to Wild Bill. Since he's not around the corner I make an appointment and typically he has been able to take care of me while I wait. If it turns out to be more involved than thought I will leave the trailer with the sled inside and pick it up when ready.

Service the way it should be.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

I paid to have my leaking gas tank on my old sled replaced about 3 years ago. I called Cat about it when it was replaced and they said since it was out of warranty I was on my own. The local Cat dealer would have done just like you mentioned... taken the sled which has always been in an enclosed trailer and let it sit outside in the elements for a week or more in the middle of prime riding time.

I had Wild Bill replace the tank for me since I was on my own for the expense. With him I left the trailer for the week. He unloaded the sled, did the repair and put it back on the trailer mid week when I wasn't riding anyhow. Picked it up at the end of the week nice and clean in the trailer.

When the recall came out I got the notice but had already sold the sled. I contacted Cat and asked if they would compensate me what they would have paid the dealer for a tank replacement under the recall. At first they were on board but because it wasn't done by a Cat dealer, too bad. No compensation even though I had the invoice. Not a penny for something that was defective.

The current sleds are Cats. The bit of warranty work I have had done the dealer made an appointment. I dropped the sleds off, went for breakfast / lunch / etc. and they would call my cell phone when they were done. To me that's excellent service. Now that it's out of warranty. I'll take them to Wild Bill. Since he's not around the corner I make an appointment and typically he has been able to take care of me while I wait. If it turns out to be more involved than thought I will leave the trailer with the sled inside and pick it up when ready.

I took mine in to replace the secondary. I just dropped it off, went into town to Timmy's and waited for him to call. Taking in next week for its first service. Same thing, go into town and wait for call when it is done. I don't know if its the same for everyone. It might be because I have a 2 hr. drive to get there and don't want to make two trips.

28 minutes ago, thetorches said:

I took mine in to replace the secondary. I just dropped it off, went into town to Timmy's and waited for him to call. Taking in next week for its first service. Same thing, go into town and wait for call when it is done. I don't know if its the same for everyone. It might be because I have a 2 hr. drive to get there and don't want to make two trips.

That's my scenario as well. It's a lengthy drive for either the dealer or Wild Bill. To take them to the dealer it's 3 hrs north and back home to pick up the sleds, then 5 hours to and from the dealer.

Wild Bill is much closer though. 2.5 hours from home with a quick pit stop to pick up the sleds and then back home.

Really though it would make sense in many ways if the service provider would put you in the service queue, call you the day before to schedule a time based on the work to be done. You would have to be available perhaps mid week. It can be challenging for the service provider too, especially when they can't be sure when parts on order will or won't arrive.

I must admit I like being able to do it by appointment.

6 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

That's my scenario as well. It's a lengthy drive for either the dealer or Wild Bill. To take them to the dealer it's 3 hrs north and back home to pick up the sleds, then 5 hours to and from the dealer.

Wild Bill is much closer though. 2.5 hours from home with a quick pit stop to pick up the sleds and then back home.

Really though it would make sense in many ways if the service provider would put you in the service queue, call you the day before to schedule a time based on the work to be done. You would have to be available perhaps mid week. It can be challenging for the service provider too, especially when they can't be sure when parts on order will or won't arrive.

I must admit I like being able to do it by appointment.

Having an appt. is nice. Like you said. Why do you have to bring it in a week ahead. I can see when they are getting close to servicing  your sled they could have you bring it in a day or two early, but a week.

I dislike Cat so much now I even got rid of my pets. 

Recently purchased, pampered , 2012 Bearcat had a starter recall so I took it to the local dealer where my B I Law bought it new. 

As I was loading it to take home the brand new starter ground incredibly . They shrugged and said it’s a big motor to turn over so that’s normal. 

I knew it wasn’t so took to another Cat  dealer who only wanted to sell me a $ 200 gel battery . Same thing after new battery. 

So I have to get my 70 year old Mother to take 2 hours to dealer 2 MORE times. 

Finally they find original dealer put thick grease on the shaft in error. 

So after 17 phone calls to Minnesota and Winnipeg they just won’t return my calls. 

So i shot all my cats ! 

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Pass that recall notice on to the new owner if you know where to connect. They will need it done.

One of the reasons i don't get service done at my local dealer is because I can't leave sled and trailer there. They don't have room.

15 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Thank you we do try to help as you know anyone that leaves a sled at our shop we try to keep it covered if it is outside in many cases we even supply the covers 

9 hours ago, barberch said:

One of the reasons i don't get service done at my local dealer is because I can't leave sled and trailer there. They don't have room.

I thought your Dealer had a spot reserved especially for that Doo of yours, you're there so much........

To most of us, machines are our pride n joy, to most dealers, just a machine and as such don't think twice about leaving it out in the weather. Just look at the way many store unsold sleds in the offseason, sit in the same spot they came to rest during the winter.  The one time mine had to go in for service, sat outside but I left my cover on it. Day I picked it up, yes outside and no it was not covered back up. Fawk!!!

Friend just picked up his Honda snowblower that had been in for service from the Honda Dealer. Had been left outside uncovered during the last few storms. I know, it's only a snowblower but it would have been nicer if it had been inside. He never leaves it out.

RW

2 hours ago, Wildbill said:

Thank you we do try to help as you know anyone that leaves a sled at our shop we try to keep it covered if it is outside in many cases we even supply the covers 

I am fussy too, but reality is they get wet when ridden anyways. So I now just ask the dealer to put it inside and dry it out and I will pick up in morning.  Nice putting it dry back into trailer. 

1 hour ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

To most of us, machines are our pride n joy, to most dealers, just a machine and as such don't think twice about leaving it out in the weather. Just look at the way many store unsold sleds in the offseason, sit in the same spot they came to rest during the winter.  The one time mine had to go in for service, sat outside but I left my cover on it. Day I picked it up, yes outside and no it was not covered back up. Fawk!!!

A friend of mine keeps his sled in one of those portable poly garages at the cottage which is on an island. In the fall he would bring it over to the mainland and store it on an open trailer with a canvas cover so it would be accessible before freeze up. He always had older used sleds. He just bought his very first brand new sled. He couldn't bring himself to leaving it out exposed to the elements so he also went and bought an enclosed trailer to keep the sled in.

2 hours ago, monte1214 said:

I thought your Dealer had a spot reserved especially for that Doo of yours, you're there so much........

At least I know to take mine to a Doo dealer. How do you decide whether to take it to a Cat dealer or a Yamaha dealer? I would go Cat since Yamaha finally admitted they don't know how to build sleds! Good motors though....

2 hours ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

I can honestly say this.  Every dealer I've dealt with has always either let us leave our trailer there with sleds in or pop in on sleds and they will work on it right away.  When we are on our way home we drop off the trailer with the sleds in it for service, appointment booked and they always have it ready for us before we come back up.  They call us to inform us that the sleds are ready for pick up and they are tied down in the trailer ready to hook up from their compound.  Other times, If we call with an issue on the sled and want it checked out they tell us to bring it in right away and they look after it pronto.  They are top notch.  Lucky I guess.

6 minutes ago, extreme600 said:

I can honestly say this.  Every dealer I've dealt with has always either let us leave our trailer there with sleds in or pop in on sleds and they will work on it right away.  When we are on our way home we drop off the trailer with the sleds in it for service, appointment booked and they always have it ready for us before we come back up.  They call us to inform us that the sleds are ready for pick up and they are tied down in the trailer ready to hook up from their compound.  Other times, If we call with an issue on the sled and want it checked out they tell us to bring it in right away and they look after it pronto.  They are top notch.  Lucky I guess.

You've got one of the good ones treating customers the way they all should.  

My current dealer (since I bought my 2012) allows me to work this way.  If I need service, I drop the trailer off, usually on the way home from a  trip and after closing hours.  I then call them the next morning and explain what I need / what is happening.  They take the sled out of the trailer, service it, and put it back in the trailer, clamped down as it was.  They call me with the total, I give them a credit card over the phone, and pick up the trailer when convenient for me.  For a few years, while I was still working, I had no face to face contact with anyone at the dealership.  Everything was done over the phone at my convenience.

Great service and friendly advice freely given.

If only I had an enclosed trailer.  I have had no use for one, in the past 15 years I have had my sled on my open trailer twice, hard to justify that kind of money when I have plenty of room to store them. I am pretty sure now my sled will be sitting in a muddy yard, they freeze to the ground on Friday. I guess they will just pull it with a quad to get it unstuck then call me with the damage and ask me to pay.

S;ed has been sitting there for one week. Called today. Waiting for tank to come in. It takes five minutes to lift the pod and look at the tank to see it is cracked. Obviously they let it sit then just this week looked at it.perhaps only today and determined it needs the tank, then ordered it. So I asked, do you have it apart, nope, have not done a god damn thing to it. Is service something sled dealers know nothing about.Every single dealer I have ever dealt with are idiots except one. Bet I do not see it for another week.

1 hour ago, zoso said:

S;ed has been sitting there for one week. Called today. Waiting for tank to come in. It takes five minutes to lift the pod and look at the tank to see it is cracked. Obviously they let it sit then just this week looked at it.perhaps only today and determined it needs the tank, then ordered it. So I asked, do you have it apart, nope, have not done a god damn thing to it. Is service something sled dealers know nothing about.Every single dealer I have ever dealt with are idiots except one. Bet I do not see it for another week.

You probably should have taken it to that one non idiot

9 hours ago, zoso said:

non idiot is five hours away.

Still an alternative if you need the sled.

Archived