This weekend- January 13th

Nunz

If anyone is in the mood for a road trip this weekend my brother and I are heading to Cochrane Friday night and staying for 2 nights. Planning on doing the Canyon Saturday and a 4-5 ride Sunday before heading home. We are booked in at the Westway.

With the crazy weather about to hit us the next couple of days we figured why the hell not. plus they are supposed to get 15cms of fresh snow tomorrow as well.

Message me or text me if you have my number if you wanna join us.

If you are still going have a great trip. Wish 

I️ could have joined you but I️ took advantage of the turn in the weather and have all wheels off my trailer and putting in new bearings this weekend . 

Play safe 

Nunz,

I hope you are enjoying a great weekend of riding. When you have wrapped up your ride, one of your excellent reports would be appreciated. I was hoping not to travel to the Corridor yet, but it looks to be the only area this coming week with enough open trail for a three day ride. I am sure Soupkids and others would welcome your review also. My schedule is starting to look like Soup's, except that we can't leave the GTA until Monday PM. 

Going to meet him in Moonbeam tomorrow for breakfast, then ride to Cochrane with them.... IF we can keep up, AND if we don't freeze to death....

Staying at the Westway with my brother and GoBills, temp was -31 plus windchill this am it felt like -44. Header out at 9 am to SRF and did the Canyon loop, freshly groomed trails all day from start to finish and tons of powder on the hydro lines, my brother got Karen’s sled stuck playing in it.. lol.. he also got some frostbite today but he’s ok. Had another great dinner at Terry’s and now back in the room watching my Patriots play. I picked up a BVS2 Helmet this eeek with the electric shield and I’m very impressed with it. God it pains me to say that lol. Here’s a few pics from todays ride. 

14FCFE92-0DB4-496A-94C2-39A8B5BCFA64.jpeg

D0597BBF-2293-4C24-A044-5BF4576A94DD.jpeg

2962DDD3-8BD0-4198-B651-B94A05BB4B8A.jpeg

48BCA571-DFAD-49B0-B2E3-7D2D5AEC5D84.jpeg

A3144252-E40C-4B0B-8188-50D5476CE5E7.jpeg

D0F1322B-DFCC-41E6-9D03-9AD533D43A1C.jpeg

303C8C2A-1789-48A4-983C-3E3E69CFA0D9.jpeg

Looks good, Nunz

Hey nunz i wouldnt mind a little review of the bvs2 helmet when you have some time,im interested in one but want to make sure its the one for me .I have a hjc now and in cold -30 temps last weekend it felt like i wasnt even wearing  a helmet lol.Any info would be great and enjoy your weekend.

I've tried both "modular" styles of the BRP helmet and prefer the older one over the newer. With the model below the breath nose cone is adjusted by cranking it in. You turn the dial in front of it to increase or decrease the fit against your face. For me the problem is that regardless of the weather you're still using the nose cone. The most you can do is crank it away from your face a bit. In the real cold weather you may get a little bit of air seepage around the shield but not much if any. The one I tried had the amber flip down lens inside like shown in the picture. The other thing I wasn't fond of was if you wanted to ride open faced in warm riding you could flip the face shield up but the nose cone remained in place. Either that or you flipped it forward and down but it was still there kind of bouncing up and down. It does have the absorbent felt like material in the nose cone to absorb any collected moisture. Over all a great helmet.

Capture1.JPG.10636511a0fda77f46b3e2c85832ac88.JPG

The one I prefer is the one below. The breath deflector looks something like what military pilots wear. The tension against your face is adjusted with the elastic straps that you can see either side of the taper for the nose. The breath nose cone is completely removable. It connects to the helmet with dome snaps. In the second picture you can see the round holes at the end of the tubes on either side which is where your warm breath is vented out. When you put the front of the helmet down they line up with holes on the side of the helmet which are shielded to create a vacuum when moving and draw your breath out. In extreme cold you may find a tiny bit of seepage around the shield however the helmet comes with a fabric covered foam piece that provides additional protection. It extends up the cheeks to just below the eyes and down the neck below the jacket. The picture on the left doesn't have it shown. The one on the right does. It integrates with the breath deflector in seconds. The slide down sun shield on the one I have is the green blue which I find better for me. It also has the absorbent removable replaceable felt like pads for moisture. I don't always use the breath nose cone. A lot of times I don't need it and simply ride without it. If I start to get a bit of fogging their is a small slit vent in the jaw piece I can slide open to provide just enough cool air to keep things clear. If it gets colder I crack the shield up one notch, about 1/4 inch. When it gets colder yet I resort to the breath nose cone and only on a couple of the coldest days have I added the neck and cheek protection.

This one is also so much easier to put on and take off if you wear glasses.

Capture1.JPG.306b41c04dbc776ca5d62684873d7606.JPGCapture1.JPG.fce87e48d3569c7daf7ca9b13d6fd5e8.JPG

Thanks ,nice review

Modular 2's are nice. Warm days don't need to wear mask and can still close Helmet to protect your face. Only down side is the snaps tend to break. I know carry extra snaps and a complete extra mask, since they are a pain to change on trail. 

43 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Modular 2's are nice. Warm days don't need to wear mask and can still close Helmet to protect your face. Only down side is the snaps tend to break. I know carry extra snaps and a complete extra mask, since they are a pain to change on trail. 

I have a spare as well now but it took about 9 or 10 years until I had the first problem which was on one side the dome snap broke. Talking to other people the most common fail point seems to be where the yellow line is. That seems to be attributable to people stopping trail side and unsnapping only one side of the breath mask, swinging it open  and letting the mask hang off of the one side only. When you do that the piece of plastic bends to a 90 degree angle. You can only bend that plastic in the cold so many times until eventually it will start to crack and eventually break. Apparently it takes quite a while for that to happen though. When I stop and take the breath mask off I take it off both sides so that piece isn't hanging off the helmet and bending the 90 degrees. I have never had it crack or fail.

This picture has that foam and fabric cold protection in place over the breath mask. I have outlined in blue where it extends protection for your cheeks and up to your temples just behind your eyes for those real cold days. I carry it in the tunnel bag. It goes on or off the breath mask in seconds. You just feed the vent tubes through the holes of it on either side and you're ready to go. It was nice to have the day we set out at -27 without the wind chill.

Electric face shields are nice and I know many people have them but I never have. If you go without a breath mask because you have an electric face shield I suggest you carry the breath mask for your helmet with you regardless. One of my regular riding buddies had his electric face shield fail far from home. It was as he put it a very slow cold ride back. He had to keep the shield about 1/2 way open to see where he was going.

Capture1.JPG.8c5f90a16d69c391d4b0c34b3c1b3202.JPG 

Only ever had snaps fail, not plastic piece that attaches to snap. Now I carry needle nose pikers to get broken snap off the helmet and use spare mask to get home. Never had a problem when helmet was new. Usually get one or two snaps break in a season now. My modular is a 1997 model though. Time for a new one I suppose. 

8 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I've tried both "modular" styles of the BRP helmet and prefer the older one over the newer. With the model below the breath nose cone is adjusted by cranking it in. You turn the dial in front of it to increase or decrease the fit against your face. For me the problem is that regardless of the weather you're still using the nose cone. The most you can do is crank it away from your face a bit. In the real cold weather you may get a little bit of air seepage around the shield but not much if any. The one I tried had the amber flip down lens inside like shown in the picture. The other thing I wasn't fond of was if you wanted to ride open faced in warm riding you could flip the face shield up but the nose cone remained in place. Either that or you flipped it forward and down but it was still there kind of bouncing up and down. It does have the absorbent felt like material in the nose cone to absorb any collected moisture. Over all a great helmet.

Capture1.JPG.10636511a0fda77f46b3e2c85832ac88.JPG

The one I prefer is the one below. The breath deflector looks something like what military pilots wear. The tension against your face is adjusted with the elastic straps that you can see either side of the taper for the nose. The breath nose cone is completely removable. It connects to the helmet with dome snaps. In the second picture you can see the round holes at the end of the tubes on either side which is where your warm breath is vented out. When you put the front of the helmet down they line up with holes on the side of the helmet which are shielded to create a vacuum when moving and draw your breath out. In extreme cold you may find a tiny bit of seepage around the shield however the helmet comes with a fabric covered foam piece that provides additional protection. It extends up the cheeks to just below the eyes and down the neck below the jacket. The picture on the left doesn't have it shown. The one on the right does. It integrates with the breath deflector in seconds. The slide down sun shield on the one I have is the green blue which I find better for me. It also has the absorbent removable replaceable felt like pads for moisture. I don't always use the breath nose cone. A lot of times I don't need it and simply ride without it. If I start to get a bit of fogging their is a small slit vent in the jaw piece I can slide open to provide just enough cool air to keep things clear. If it gets colder I crack the shield up one notch, about 1/4 inch. When it gets colder yet I resort to the breath nose cone and only on a couple of the coldest days have I added the neck and cheek protection.

This one is also so much easier to put on and take off if you wear glasses.

Capture1.JPG.306b41c04dbc776ca5d62684873d7606.JPGCapture1.JPG.fce87e48d3569c7daf7ca9b13d6fd5e8.JPG

The breath mask can easily be removed, it takes two seconds. In fact it is easier to remove than the old style.

6 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Apply some grease or vaseline to the snaps once in a while, makes it so much easier to attach and detach, greatly reducing the risk of breakage.

The Doo helmets are nice, I have the Mod 2, but they are heavy when compared to other helmets. Doo also have the Mod 3 now, slightly refined version of the Mod 2 from what I can tell.

14 hours ago, wrightonalan said:

Hey nunz i wouldnt mind a little review of the bvs2 helmet when you have some time,im interested in one but want to make sure its the one for me .I have a hjc now and in cold -30 temps last weekend it felt like i wasnt even wearing  a helmet lol.Any info would be great and enjoy your weekend.

Well after this weekend and the minus 30 weather we rode in I’m thoroughly impressed no fogging issues at all, the shield seals light excellent visibility, it took some getting used to the face mask part and the white filters. I just replaced one every day. Well worth the money imo so far. 

5 hours ago, Nunz said:

Well after this weekend and the minus 30 weather we rode in I’m thoroughly impressed no fogging issues at all, the shield seals light excellent visibility, it took some getting used to the face mask part and the white filters. I just replaced one every day. Well worth the money imo so far. 

You can save a bit of money making your own out of sham wow cloths or women's panty liners. (unscented)  Just save one of your original and cut to shape. The sham wows can be squeezed out trail side and washed for re-use. My bv2s is now my spare helmet - for someone who wears glasses and who is a mouth breather (broken nose at one point) they are not particularly servicable. Bad memories of standing trail side in minus 30 knocking frozen spit out of them and dealing with jammed locking mechanisms. Some rubber parts fell off. Does work great on the warm days when fogging and freezing is not a problem.

Thanks for the pics Nunz and good to see Gobills out!

The filters can be dried out and reused. I usually switch them half way thru day, depending how cold it is. Bv2s is warmer then module's though and doesn't run risk of flying open during an incident. 

Archived