Waterloo Regional Police Inspecting Snowmobilers in Wilmot Township

bbakernbay

4 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

I am sure they could leave some snow on side of road for us snowmobiles to come into town to get fuel and food.

Of course they could, but here in Ontario sleds are hated. Fun is hated, everything but giving the government money is hated.

20 minutes ago, zoso said:

Of course they could, but here in Ontario sleds are hated. Fun is hated, everything but giving the government money is hated.

I'll second that. 

2 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

I wouldn't be stopping for that one,mind you I try hard not to use side walk but sometimes there is little choice. 

Viper, what do you mean by that?  You wouldn’t stop for police?

7 hours ago, BoonerBP said:

I have met with local OPP, they will be very visible this year at road crossings and out on the trails. Mandate is coming from the top. twenty odd deaths last year, enforcement is a priority. They will be issuing fines for no permit

Yes it is coming from the deputy commish as at last ofsc agm I had a good discussion with him especially with less enforcement on the trails as we dont have the STOP program anymore and even he admitted he didnt see any police enforcement on the trails last year when he was riding. I also brought up the fact that local detachments should be notifying the local ofsc district of accidents on OUR trails as we have to do our own accident investigation and reporting to the ofsc and he did seem in agreement with that in sharing some info to the clubs. I also heard he is mandating those heavy traffic areas and those detachments that have sled officers to be doing more sled patrols and permit enforcement also ofsc and him are working on doing more trail patrol and officer ride alongs so to speak. 

This week alone here in PSSD area Ive seen the local OPP out on sled patrol for the past 3 days especially. Which is nice to see. 

1 hour ago, Wimpy said:

Viper, what do you mean by that?  You wouldn’t stop for police?

Would you if you were using side walk? I would just keep going and pre tend I didn't see him.

34 minutes ago, SuperG said:

Yes it is coming from the deputy commish as at last ofsc agm I had a good discussion with him especially with less enforcement on the trails as we dont have the STOP program anymore and even he admitted he didnt see any police enforcement on the trails last year when he was riding. I also brought up the fact that local detachments should be notifying the local ofsc district of accidents on OUR trails as we have to do our own accident investigation and reporting to the ofsc and he did seem in agreement with that in sharing some info to the clubs. I also heard he is mandating those heavy traffic areas and those detachments that have sled officers to be doing more sled patrols and permit enforcement also ofsc and him are working on doing more trail patrol and officer ride alongs so to speak. 

This week alone here in PSSD area Ive seen the local OPP out on sled patrol for the past 3 days especially. Which is nice to see. 

I never once saw a STOP officer without a real cop. Not sure they really served a purpose at all when it came to more enforcement. All they did was bring more police to the same location. What that did serve is to speed up inspections when they had a line up in  Muskoka on a weekend.

I did my STOP training with a STOP officer over three or four weekends.  Only one day were we with actual police officers (YRP in this case).

On 11/01/2018 at 12:52 AM, zoso said:

I never once saw a STOP officer without a real cop. Not sure they really served a purpose at all when it came to more enforcement. All they did was bring more police to the same location. What that did serve is to speed up inspections when they had a line up in  Muskoka on a weekend.

Sometimes were with police and sometimes without. There was nothing that I know of stating they had to be with police as special constables they had the full authority to enforce the msva and liquor licence acts etc. Our local STOP officers went out alot on their own or with other STOP or trail patrol officers. I know some had a power trip attitude but for the most part I would have liked to see the local STOP officers out on the trail rather than regular OPP SAVE officers out on our trails IMO.

44 minutes ago, SuperG said:

Sometimes were with police and sometimes without. There was nothing that I know of stating they had to be with police as special constables they had the full authority to enforce the msva and liquor licence acts etc. Our local STOP officers went out alot on their own or with other STOP or trail patrol officers. I know some had a power trip attitude but for the most part I would have liked to see the local STOP officers out on the trail rather than regular OPP SAVE officers out on our trails IMO.

I was just speaking from my experience with Stop in the Sudbury area. I never did see a STOP officer without either an OPP or a Sudbury Regional officer. They were usually in a group of four or more when I saw them. Why did it get canned, was it the police unions that pressed for its end?

16 minutes ago, zoso said:

I was just speaking from my experience with Stop in the Sudbury area. I never did see a STOP officer without either an OPP or a Sudbury Regional officer. They were usually in a group of four or more when I saw them. Why did it get canned, was it the police unions that pressed for its end?

Pretty much was. The OPP SAVE team has been on the provincial chopping block for a while now and the OPP SAVE team whined to their union that they are taking our jobs away from us and we will have to go back to regular duty patrol so the OPP MADE up the thing about it being unsafe for volunteers to be doing police type duties although they didn't have any supporting documentation to support that it was unsafe. And as usual the OFSC just let it happen and bows down to whatever organization that wants to take it all over. 

5 minutes ago, SuperG said:

Pretty much was. The OPP SAVE team has been on the provincial chopping block for a while now and the OPP SAVE team whined to their union that they are taking our jobs away from us and we will have to go back to regular duty patrol so the OPP MADE up the thing about it being unsafe for volunteers to be doing police type duties although they didn't have any supporting documentation to support that it was unsafe. And as usual the OFSC just let it happen and bows down to whatever organization that wants to take it all over. 

Unsafe? Wow, I do not think I ever even heard of an incident ON trail that any officer was injured, STOP or regular. STOP had no jurisdiction beyond the prescribed trails, I forget the limit but think I recall 20 meters on either side was the limit so the risks of an off trail chase were not there, and sledders are not normally a criminal element non violent. It really is a benign group as a whole. Trail patrol with pretty much zero authority does not even encounter very much push back. I would have to agree there was no foundation in that argument. I guess getting paid over 100 grand to ride a sled all winter is a tough thing to see slipping away, and cannot blame them for wanting to protect  the best gig ever invented in policing.

I recall seeing the OPP out on Georgian Bay cruising in the sunshine doing safety checks (lifejacket for each person on board) I jokingly said I can think of tougher ways to make a living than being out on the water on a sunny day. He smiled and said... you're right... but we were also out here the last three days in the pouring rain and high winds. My partner was in the water two days ago to help people whose boat was about to hit the rocks during the storm. Everyone has good days and bad days at work. My worst day at work wouldn't come close to what theirs would.

28 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I recall seeing the OPP out on Georgian Bay cruising in the sunshine doing safety checks (lifejacket for each person on board) I jokingly said I can think of tougher ways to make a living than being out on the water on a sunny day. He smiled and said... you're right... but we were also out here the last three days in the pouring rain and high winds. My partner was in the water two days ago to help people whose boat was about to hit the rocks during the storm. Everyone has good days and bad days at work. My worst day at work wouldn't come close to what theirs would.

It is rare they are out on a shitty day unless called. There are not many boats out when the weather is bad so slim pickens for them and not worth it to go patrol an empty body of water. 

VR Land had a segment about the cops being out on the trails:

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1303276

I would hope that besides looking for impaired riders that they're checking for permits as well. Perfect opportunity to notice if someone has been drinking.

Archived