Waterloo Regional Police Inspecting Snowmobilers in Wilmot Township

bbakernbay

I have long been critical of the declining enforcement presence on OFSC Trails so I am pleased to post the following media release from Waterloo Regional Police.

Publish Date: Jan 8, 2018

Incident Date: Jan 6, 2018

On January 6, 2018, Waterloo Regional Police Service conducted compliance checks of snowmobiles in Wilmot Township. The purpose was to ensure that users of local trails were complying with all regulations and laws under the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act (MSVA). As a result of the initiative, a total of 18 charges were laid under the MSVA, including fail to have trail permit, fail to display registration, insurance violations and failure to provide documentation. Police remind riders to familiarize themselves with the rules and regulations under the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act to ensure a safe environment for all those who use the trails.

We came across the OPP yesterday in Waubaushene. They weren't on sleds but they were out checking. They were on Sandhill Rd. just south of where the C trail heading north comes out onto and follows the road. If you had all the trail permit and val tag clearly visible you slowed down, he gave you a thumbs up and off you went.

I have sent an email to the Midland OPP asking if we could coordinate a Saturday for their officers on sleds to assist our Trail Patrol with a permit check trail side this winter and will be following up by phone.

35 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

I have long been critical of the declining enforcement presence on OFSC Trails so I am pleased to post the following media release from Waterloo Regional Police.

On January 6, 2018, Waterloo Regional Police Service conducted compliance checks of snowmobiles in Wilmot Township. The purpose was to ensure that users of local trails were complying with all regulations and laws under the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act (MSVA). As a result of the initiative, a total of 18 charges were laid under the MSVA, including fail to have trail permit, fail to display registration, insurance violations and failure to provide documentation. Police remind riders to familiarize themselves with the rules and regulations under the Motorized Snow Vehicles Act to ensure a safe environment for all those who use the trails.

This is wonderful to hear. Hope they do the other areas that they are responsible for as well when those trails open.

Maybe the one who stopped us on 208 on the north shore of Rice lake.

He turned out to be a friend of one of our neighbours,  so we joined him for a couple of selfies with the sleds and the cruiser!

2 hours ago, signfan said:

Saw the OPP sitting at a trail crossing near Peterborough as well this past week.  Nice to see.

X2, ran into them at a trail crossing on the Seguin on Saturday...

3 sleds were pulled to the side and the ticket book was out,  the 3 riders didn’t look to happy...

4 hours ago, slowbutsure said:

All the passionate sledders with valid permits should appreciate this enforcement.   

We do.  Doesn't bother me one bit to show all required paperwork, stickers, etc to them.  Glad to see this and hopefully there's more of it.

5 hours ago, slowbutsure said:

All the passionate sledders with valid permits should appreciate this enforcement.   

I'm glad there  out there. As long as i'm not speeding when I see them.

20 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

I usually get stopped three times a year in this township. Usually same cops too and I ride mostly mid week. once got a ticket in goderich for speeding. What a joke day that was. 

19 hours ago, gobills said:

I like to hear this, probably due to so many trails being open this year  in the south everyone who has an old beater is out riding around.

Looked at sleds yesterday and compliance seems good. Insurance costs almost double what early permit costs. So imagine some without insurance out there too and even mto don't ask for insurance slips to renew Val tag on sleds, but do on vechicles. 

We were checked last week Wenesday by Brussels and they were out this weekend in Hay Swamp by Exeter. They caught two guys that i know of in the swamp without permits. Good to see their strong presence. Word will get out for those don't have permits.

I was out for my first ride yesterday, Shelburne up to Owen sound. On returning to Shelburne, was stopped by trail patrol. Good to see them out

2 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Looked at sleds yesterday and compliance seems good. Insurance costs almost double what early permit costs. So imagine some without insurance out there too and even mto don't ask for insurance slips to renew Val tag on sleds, but do on vechicles. 

I have often wondered why they don't require the insurance for the val tag renewal. You only need the val tag if you are off your own property and if you are you need insurance.

I have never been asked to insurance slip at renewal time for any of my vehicles.  The insurance policy info is required on the form for renewal and I always fill it in, but have never had to pull out the pink slips.

6 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I have never been asked to insurance slip at renewal time for any of my vehicles.  The insurance policy info is required on the form for renewal and I always fill it in, but have never had to pull out the pink slips.

In Ontario they now have your insurance on the computer system, when renewing they can see it. Cops can as well when they run plates. I have often wondered why you can get a sticker for a sled with no insurance.

On 1/9/2018 at 12:54 PM, signfan said:

Saw the OPP sitting at a trail crossing near Peterborough as well this past week.  Nice to see.

I have met with local OPP, they will be very visible this year at road crossings and out on the trails. Mandate is coming from the top. twenty odd deaths last year, enforcement is a priority. They will be issuing fines for no permit

Seen trail patrol on hwy. 35 today. They had someone stopped and he was going through his pockets looking for something.

OPP also pulled some sledders over the other day in town when they were driving down the sidewalk.

1 hour ago, Yamatario said:

OPP also pulled some sledders over the other day in town when they were driving down the sidewalk.

I wouldn't be stopping for that one,mind you I try hard not to use side walk but sometimes there is little choice. 

22 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

I wouldn't be stopping for that one,mind you I try hard not to use side walk but sometimes there is little choice. 

The sidewalks in many town in quebec are signed trails. Quebec gets sledding and that is why it is the best place in the world to be a sledder.

24 minutes ago, zoso said:

The sidewalks in many town in quebec are signed trails. Quebec gets sledding and that is why it is the best place in the world to be a sledder.

I am sure they could leave some snow on side of road for us snowmobiles to come into town to get fuel and food.

Archived