WHERE DID YOU RIDE TODAY & CONDITIONS

thetorches

2 hours ago, pt3189 said:

Rode from Belmont Lake to Havelock , Marmora , Shannick and Cordova Lake. Rail trail from Marmora North is yellow on guide and is in mint condition as it was grooomed last night. Was green for the last few days. Head scratcher for sure. 

It was exceptional this morning.  May have went yellow as there was a section yesterday just after Marmora turn off that had fallen through creating quite a deep gap with water,  Spot that always floods but groomer had it filled this morning, yesterday warning sticks right in the middle.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snowing here.

Couple inches on the ground.

Just enough to have to do the driveway

1 hour ago, gobills said:

Freezing rain her in minden as well.  Not to fun.  Went out for a bit and came back like an icicle.

Conditions were fantastic at 07:00 this morning.:D

On 2/10/2018 at 6:14 PM, soupkids said:

Hope not all of it was that bad

Not all.  The short section of railbed on C was only slightly beat up.  We met a groomer going up the loop toward the lookout, but the trail behind him was not much better.

Yesterday we rode down to Noelville for lunch and bypassed huge sections of trail by running Trout Lake Road.  The trails near Noelville were fun, but the rest were an extreme disappointment.  Two of the three people that had not ridden Sudbury before left for home Saturday morning.

4 hours ago, SRXChris said:

It was exceptional this morning.  May have went yellow as there was a section yesterday just after Marmora turn off that had fallen through creating quite a deep gap with water,  Spot that always floods but groomer had it filled this morning, yesterday warning sticks right in the middle.

I caught a Facebook post from the club on that later. Must have been either south or north of the section I was in. Kudos to the club for having great trails after what was probably the busiest Saturday of the season.

Amazing running on Saturday out on and around Rice Lake.

Incredible snow...even enough to run some back roads. 

The MXZ still pulls like a BEAST....

IMG_00003379.jpg

IMG_00003413.jpg

IMG_00003417.jpg

17 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Not all.  The short section of railbed on C was only slightly beat up.  We met a groomer going up the loop toward the lookout, but the trail behind him was not much better.

Yesterday we rode down to Noelville for lunch and bypassed huge sections of trail by running Trout Lake Road.  The trails near Noelville were fun, but the rest were an extreme disappointment.  Two of the three people that had not ridden Sudbury before left for home Saturday morning.

Hey SJ, we are headed to French River Trails tomorrow for the rest of the week. Was lack of snow an issue, or more towards un-maintained/groomed?

Thanks

I rode Leeds Grenville trails today, 90 km, groomers are on the move, still plenty of snow, some snirt, road running is passable. Most of what I rode was ungroomed and bumpy but not too bad, snow is getting soft, buty temps are dropping. I suspect most trails in this area will be groomed overnight.

Back on Pefferlaw river and Lake Simcoe up to Thora n back, lots of snow but wet. River was all bumpy after the weekend traffic.

Went out this morning.

Left went up the lakes to catch the b trail that crosses kushog lake.  Trail was in need of grooming.  Took the b over to 11 at hawk lake and caught the lake trail over to 62 (tall pines trail system)  avoid this trail it's awful.  Moguls from the junction right to kennisis Lake. 

Went across the lakes to catch the b towards Whitney.   B to Whitney was mint.  Fueled up in Whitney  and decided to head south on the b106e boy am I glad I hit that trail another 10.  Good job maple leaf snow skimmers.

Took the b106e to 178 another 10 on that trail.  Minus the road run!

Hit the 178 E109 junction and headed towards eagle lake.  Parts of this trail needed grooming but still not horrible.

Hit the E109 E junction and headed towards eagle lake.  The E was great some nice fast runs and some minor beat up areas.

Next stop was the E/B junction.  Headed towards eagle lake on the B and it was great as well.  Followed the lakes back and now enjoying a cool bevi. 190 miles on the day.

Good job to all the clubs working with what they can.

On a side note I did take the old 11 lake route and as cuyuna has stated the holes are getting bigger through this area.  Just keep her pinned and you will be good.

I'd love to add a couple pics.  But all I get is error 200

19 minutes ago, gobills said:

Went out this morning.

Left went up the lakes to catch the b trail that crosses kushog lake.  Trail was in need of grooming.  Took the b over to 11 at hawk lake and caught the lake trail over to 62 (tall pines trail system)  avoid this trail it'

Trail 62 is a mess, but you can't avoid it if you want to get over to Kennisis and don't want to go over the bad ice on the east side of Pine Lake. Guessing the trail is neglected because Tall Pines has a groomer down ?

Went out for a couple hours after work today. Put on 115 km's. Left Port Perry clubhouse and took E-108 to rail bed that goes to Lindsay. Turned around and headed back. Took the 102 to Lake Scugog and crossed to the island, but couldn't find the 109 on the east side to take back to clubhouse. Ended up taking the lake from north end of island back to Port Perry and on to clubhouse. It's getting really thin heading north. Lots of dirt.

7 hours ago, lastzrt said:

Hey SJ, we are headed to French River Trails tomorrow for the rest of the week. Was lack of snow an issue, or more towards un-maintained/groomed?

Thanks

The C trail after Estaire was very rough.  It seemed to be a combination of low snow and lack of grooming.  After we bailed to Trout Lake Road, the lake was good, and the trails afterward into Noelville were quite nice.  Actually, the best trails we rode all weekend.

Put on a quick 110k after finding myself home early today, and seeing brilliant sunshine.

Carleton Regional were freshly groomed, and excellent. The Apex earned it's name today for sure. Had the trails to myself, and riding alone, could set my own pace. 

Osgoode was a bit bumpy in spots, having had a high traffic day Saturday what with the drag races, and a soggy Sunday. Still fun, and FAST. 

My son and I ran out of Barrie over to  Orillia on Sunday. I am not sure but the last couple of years Sno Voyageurs clubs have  not been the greatest. I know the volume of sleds they get, but a few years back even with the volume of traffic the trails were always in great shape. In many cases would pass several groomers in one day. Love to ride the area. But the last 2 years the  trails have been pretty bad. On Sunday the trails , the ones we took, were  all in really bad shape. As I mentioned I love the area and support the local economy, buying lunches, dinners and gas, but the last few times out the trails were not worth riding. I keep hoping it was aberration, not sure if something within the club has changed. I have ridden some bad trails in my time, but this Sunday were some of the worst ever.  Sorry if this offends anyone.

10 minutes ago, 4mysled said:

My son and I ran out of Barrie over to  Orillia on Sunday. I am not sure but the last couple of years Sno Voyageurs clubs have  not been the greatest. I know the volume of sleds they get, but a few years back even with the volume of traffic the trails were always in great shape. In many cases would pass several groomers in one day. Love to ride the area. But the last 2 years the  trails have been pretty bad. On Sunday the trails , the ones we took, were  all in really bad shape. As I mentioned I love the area and support the local economy, buying lunches, dinners and gas, but the last few times out the trails were not worth riding. I keep hoping it was aberration, not sure if something within the club has changed. I have ridden some bad trails in my time, but this Sunday were some of the worst ever.  Sorry if this offends anyone.

You mention passing several groomers in one day. I don't believe many clubs run groomers before 4:00 PM any more. Running a groomer mid day on a weekend is an exercise in futility. It may make for a nice flat trail for about 20 minutes on a busy day. The snow doesn't have time to set up and gain any "firmness" like it would overnight and is back to being rough in the blink of an eye.

Don't forget that the clubs in the area were essentially starting all over again from zero as far as packing and grooming trails thanks to the month of just dirt. They aren't working with typical mid Feb snow buildups.

02, understand, not trying to bash anyone. But it is not just this year where the trails have been less ideal. The Barrie club, IMHO, has always been one of the best clubs around for many years, and that is why I am surprised at shape of the trail system.  I have been riding the area  going on 25 years and the last few years have been pretty rough. There could be a lot of reasons behind it. 

I've ridden Sno Voyageurs trails every year except for 2015/2016 and those trails were among the best. The Groomers are in the best spot for grooming trails. This year I parked at the club house and rode into Wasaga and thoroughly enjoyed my ride. Came back and went south on the C trail beyond the Groomer Yard on really good trails. Shout out to the Groomers from Sno Voyageurs SC...  Keep up the good job with what snow you have to work with.

Cheers.

Headed out on the B from Carnarvon towards Haliburton. Trail was pretty good but not as good as last week. Heading up to Eagle Lake was also ok. North of Eagle Lake was a bump fest. Forget about Whitney, we headed towards Hali Forest to get to the Tall Pines trails. 62 was awesome! Came down via Pine, Clear and Hawk. B back to Carnarvon very good.

Archived