Report - SSM to Dubreuilville

AC+YA

1 hour ago, AC+YA said:

The heated grip failed due to damage from last season.  Not the fault of the heating element or wiring on the sled.  Sled spilled on an icy road.  Kept working until this trip.  When I expanded the grip with the air hose and slid it off, I could see where the scuff on the grip had actually penetrated the element and eventually caused it to open the circuit.

I have replaced the element and grip.  So fast and easy with Cat putting the bar plugs to hold air pressure!  All good now and the track has screw-in grips to stop it from happening again this season.  1000 miles and they still look good.

I put the Igrip studs in my sled I really like them so far they are out of stock now I'm going to put them in Pam's sled as soon as I can get them

On 2018-01-10 at 1:31 PM, 1049 said:

I put the Igrip studs in my sled I really like them so far they are out of stock now I'm going to put them in Pam's sled as soon as I can get them

You just screw them in with a portable  handrill, self tapping? How many did you put in and where like a v pattern? 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

You just screw them in with a portable  handrill, self tapping? How many did you put in and where like a v pattern? 

You have to pre drill a 1/8 x3/4 deep hole screw them in with a cordless drill I put 195 in a129 ripsaw. You have to put them in the biggest point of the lug

11 minutes ago, 1049 said:

You have to pre drill a 1/8 x3/4 deep hole screw them in with a cordless drill I put 195 in a129 ripsaw. You have to put them in the biggest point of the lug

Thanks. All videos I could find are in French. 

12 minutes ago, 1049 said:

Your track didn't have holes in it, you drilled it yourself?   There's a thought....

On 1/10/2018 at 12:04 PM, AC+YA said:

The heated grip failed due to damage from last season.  Not the fault of the heating element or wiring on the sled.  Sled spilled on an icy road.  Kept working until this trip.  When I expanded the grip with the air hose and slid it off, I could see where the scuff on the grip had actually penetrated the element and eventually caused it to open the circuit.

I have replaced the element and grip.  So fast and easy with Cat putting the bar plugs to hold air pressure!  All good now and the track has screw-in grips to stop it from happening again this season.  1000 miles and they still look good.

I too had 2 bad ice experiences last winter on a non studded track. The first was New Brunswick where during a solid day of rain I blew right across a roadway and the 2nd was the bottom half of the L143 which was about 35KM of glare ice which I had to do at no more than 10Km/hr. As the sled has 8K, I opted to replace the track for an Camso Ice Attack XT, as part of the suspension rebuild last spring. I also managed to get $350 for the old track as it still looked good. I'm looking forward to trying the new track soon. 

20170515_123205.jpg

The screw in studs I got from Bergstrom had instructions to pre-drill 1/16" diameter holes about 1/4" short of the length of the screws.  I put them in three machines.  I think that the 3/4" length of screw is best, but you always need to stay at least 1/4" short of the lug depth.  So if the lug is less than 1" you must drop back to a 1/2" screw.  Don't use an impact driver or a real powerful drill.  I used a small drill with a clutch setting and learned quickly how much to run them down.

Scott Bergstrom told me that if you want to be sure to not have the screws ever work out, you just dip the tip of the screws in Gorilla Glue or there are a couple types of super glue which can bond rubber and steel.  Best to wait overnight in heated shop with Gorilla Glue or 24 hours with super glue.  After drilling the hole, wipe the area with a wet/damp paper towel to clean.  Do not dry as the water is a catalyst speeding the Gorilla Glue reaction and causing it to set faster.  Don't leave a drop of water either, but wipe with a damp cloth.  They can be removed by holding the lug with pliers while reversing the screw out.  With Gorilla Glue some rubber will come along with the screw.

Big difference on ice.  I have not had issues on cement either as long as I don't spin the track.  No marks on the floor yet.   

Archived