Report - SSM to Dubreuilville

AC+YA

My Daughter and I rode from Sunday through Friday last week.  First we ran around SSM trails and into town.  It was cold so we were just going through the break-in on the new 800.  We decided to run over to Black Creek to visit.  The Trail Blazers were getting the loop fixed up and the snow kept building to give them what they needed. 

Tuesday afternoon we decided to run up to Halfway not knowing how much it had snowed up  in the elevations since we came back through Searchmont late Monday night. 

No gas in Searchmont so we were going from Goulais River to Halfway in one shot.  We often do that with groomed trails, but deep powder and no grooming from Searchmont to Halfway was making me wonder about fuel since it is about 130 miles without gas. 

The trail over to Searchmont was very deep with powder and blowing over my hood. There was a deep track we followed up the Whitman Dam Road.  I told Paige if the track stops, we need to turn back. She made me feel better by reminding me that 4 guys were booked for lunch earlier that day at Halfway so the track should keep going all the way.  It did and we made it with about 16 liters of gas in the 2017 and 20 liters in the 2018. 

Both 800cc class but the new Cat motor in the ‘18. 

The lunch guys were only 2 and on  600 & 800 exec SkiDoo sleds.  They started in Searchmont and cut a deep groove to follow.  

The 600 had run out of fuel and the 800 made it to bring fuel back. 

They had decided to spend the night so we got to talk.  

Wednesday we decided to run up to Dubreuilville. 

Great choice as it was freshly groomed by the Halfway groomer all the way to Angigami.  The snow had really come down overnight again to the north of Halfway all the way to Hawk Junction.  The D trail to Wawa 5 and all the way to Hawk Lake was groomed flat and had up to a foot of new powder south and 3” up at Hawk Lake.  It was not groomed from Hawk to the Dubreuilville warming shack, but only clicked a couple rocks but not bad. 

Perfect into Dubreuilville but lower snow as you went north. 

Returned in some wicked cold on Thursday.  Took the shortcut down to Halfway from Dub.  98 miles direct.  Spent the night at Halfway because a creek crossing had gotten torn up by the groomers coming north out of Searchmont. 

They fixed it up Friday, but we couldn’t wait, so we took another way around using the Chapleau trail and an untouched logging road.  35 kilometers of deep dense snow after jumping off the Chapleau trail.  Then a perfect trail back to Searchmont followed by the run over to Blueberry Flats.  159 miles that way pushing hard for 20 miles.  

Made it again with no extra gas used. This time I saw all the warning light about fuel on the ‘17 and even the low oil light came on. 

Too cold, but fantastic trails. 

Some pictures would not load so I will try to add again later. 

Thanks to Sean at Halfway and all the groomers making trails possible.  Patrick at the Magpie who always is there for you.  If you don’t have a PIN for a credit or debit card, get one so you can use the gas station in Dubreuilville.  I am getting a PIN since I didn’t have one. 

2D4FA083-636E-4EDA-A2DB-D6F0182417FA.jpeg

82AD8CF2-3CF8-410F-9E14-D8B09C83A951.jpeg

2C53E046-0280-4CD2-802C-9844684136FB.jpeg

6C172C02-0C5D-4015-96E3-9CB86B8564A6.jpeg

D633465D-468F-46B8-96AC-EF50000890AE.jpeg

4920E08F-C563-4999-9A3F-7E1B9448DF5A.jpeg

22991C75-D1FC-4ECB-8E9B-E5F1D3AF0F6B.jpeg

FCE5A979-8726-4B15-A912-416707445C6C.jpeg

2B5C645D-666B-4610-AE32-F4AE41BAC794.jpeg

201B6719-90D3-49EC-BE6A-C4863A9475E6.jpeg

23607F34-8558-47C2-BEF0-7F8C6BD4228A.jpeg

3955640C-4B6E-4A44-9E83-D1DDF74CE3E3.jpeg

Great report and pics. The stretch from Heyden to Wawa is 1 part of the system I haven't ridden.

hate u guys...last pic with 8" of fresh snow...on groomed trail...#$#@#% ..u guys..lol..always think of u guys as great Canadians,so proud of our trails & local establishments...can I get a "eh"...u have enlightened a few of us about the north...so...ya guess u two deserve that great ride..glad u got some time in on new sled..bill & I rode today...told him..he said ya scott knows all those backroads...so hope lily wants to spend time with me like paige hangs with u...so cool...buying 2 up seat so lily can continue riding with me.gotta take her to halfway,,,drive sean nuts...say hi to princess for me & talk next couple days...great pics

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing Scott .... Is that a 3 layer windshield system on Paiges' sled ?  low, medium, tall, all stacked up on each other ?

And you mentioned needing a PIN for Dub fuel station .... do you mean a pin on your credit card or something specific for those pumps ?

Great report!  Looks awesome!!

Scott Looks like you two had a awesome week riding :-D the pictures looked great looks like a lot of fun we cannot wait for our vacation this winter 

lets hope this winter stays cold and no warmups.

Tell Paige the guys from Ohio say Hello:wavey:

Greg,Gary,Scott

Looks awesome Scott can’t wait to get back up there 

9 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing Scott .... Is that a 3 layer windshield system on Paiges' sled ?  low, medium, tall, all stacked up on each other ?

And you mentioned needing a PIN for Dub fuel station .... do you mean a pin on your credit card or something specific for those pumps ?

Just a PIN for your credit card or debit card, but I didn't have one.  I never use one here in the states.

I guess I should anyway, so I have requested one.

Much better getting gas in Dub now!

I need to get with you on the "shortcut". nice pics, and report. hope to see you guys this winter. Ski

Great pics Scott. Great to see that you got out on the new sled.

Hope to see you and Paige soon.

Great to hear the gas situation in Dub has improved.

12 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I travel in the USA a fair bit for work:

1. Restaurants still take your credit card away from the table;

2. They come back and say it the card was rejected;

3. I say it is because I have to use a PIN for security purposes because it is a chip card;

4. They are puzzled about what I'm talking about; (just happened in St Louis - last November);

5. I walk to the machine (places just starting to get portable CC machines) and enter my PIN;

6. Everything works.

Issue for us in the USA is trying to gas up at the pump - asks for ZIP code......whole other story....

Anyway. great pics, and always a special time when you can sled with the "kids". Mine is stationed in Winnipeg, no more father son sled trips expected..

AC + YA, Please continue to come to Canada and spend your money, lord knows I've spent enough in the USA over the years before Bass Pro and Cabelas came to Canada...

(I guess I'll have to show these Cat pics to our 1 CAT rider- funny thing is that he is also a father and daughter CAT team...)

9 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Issue for us in the USA is trying to gas up at the pump - asks for ZIP code......whole other story....

Does this scheme work for credit card at gas in U.S.?

"When asked for your zip code, try entering the three numbers in your postal code and adding two zeros.

For example, if your postal code is M9Z 4X3, you would enter 94300 as your zip code."

10 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

I travel in the USA a fair bit for work:

1. Restaurants still take your credit card away from the table;

2. They come back and say it the card was rejected;

3. I say it is because I have to use a PIN for security purposes because it is a chip card;

4. They are puzzled about what I'm talking about; (just happened in St Louis - last November);

5. I walk to the machine (places just starting to get portable CC machines) and enter my PIN;

6. Everything works.

Anyway. great pics, and always a special time when you can sled with the "kids". Mine is stationed in Winnipeg, no more father son sled trips expected..

AC + YA, Please continue to come to Canada and spend your money, lord knows I've spent enough in the USA over the years before Bass Pro and Cabelas came to Canada...

(I guess I'll have to show these Cat pics to our 1 CAT rider- funny thing is that he is also a father and daughter CAT team...)

My new cards do have chips in them, but I still never use a PIN with them. 

I have requested a pin now and am waiting for it to come in the mail. 

Good point on on the postal code.  That is to stop stolen cards from being used. 

When the system was new, any magnetic strip on a card worked the pump such as a drivers license. 

There are still a few pumps that I use which don’t ask for your billing zip code. 

41 minutes ago, slomo said:

"When asked for your zip code, try entering the three numbers in your postal code and adding two zeros.

For example, if your postal code is M9Z 4X3, you would enter 94300 as your zip code."

I have used the three numbers in my postal code and added two zeros in the USA before and it does work.

23 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Hi Denis,

Sorry I forgot to respond to the shied question. 

That is a 15” mid size because the tall were back ordered.  I put the mirrors on.  Then the cold wave came. I rode it a bit around my yard and had just my hat on. I couldn’t duck down far enough behind the 15” without getting way back behind the bars.  I realized a 1000 miles in the predicted temperatures would be a bad idea, but couldn’t get a tall windshield. 

I had an old cracked 2017 shield so I cut it and drilled it to match the screw holes of the mirrors. 

I did the add-on and was very happy.  It works great and I can unscrew it in warmer temps or to load on one of my older trailers with a shorter cap. 

I am going to change all my sleds over in the future so that that trailer can be used.  It pulls easier than any other trailer I own and is a 16’ long bed under the cap leaving room for the longest mountain sleds and plenty of storage tubs and gas cans. 

By the way that is my new 2018 sled, but one of Paige’s heated grips went out, so I switched sleds because she couldn’t do the long days without. 

The new sled is better on gas and oil plus has better usable power. 

Hope to see you soon when I come through Hearst. 

Scott

12 hours ago, skidooboy said:

I need to get with you on the "shortcut". nice pics, and report. hope to see you guys this winter. Ski

We looked for you but no vehicles in drive. 

Was that your garage with the festive lights?

it was COLD so had to get to the motel. 

I will get with you on the shortcut I use some times. It saves 14 miles. 

I need to check the Magpie to trail 5 over the dam and down total miles also. 

40 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

I had an old cracked 2017 shield so I cut it and drilled it to match the screw holes of the mirrors. 

I did the add-on and was very happy.  It works great and I can unscrew it in warmer temps.

This is a really good idea. Thanks!

1 hour ago, slomo said:

Some of the guys at work had told me a trick, perhaps yours. Unfortunately,  how I remembered it was to convert each letter to a number, which didn't work. I'll try your method next trip. thanks, as I expect alot of US business travel for the next couple of years. I also now try to keep enough US cash to cover the gas for the rental car. Thanks again for the tip.

17 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Just a PIN for your credit card or debit card, but I didn't have one.  I never use one here in the states.

I guess I should anyway, so I have requested one.

Much better getting gas in Dub now!

I guess cross border gas purchases can be a pain regardless of whether it's Canadians in the US or Americans in Canada. When I was in the US I would put the credit card in at the pump and it would want me to enter a zip code. I didn't have one and since it was a rental car I had no idea how much it would take to top up the tank. I had to go inside, prepay for X amount of gas, pump it, then go back and get a refund of the difference.

4 hours ago, slomo said:

I had heard that one and it never worked for me....

4 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Hi Denis,

That is a 15” mid size because the tall were back ordered.  I put the mirrors on.  Then the cold wave came. I rode it a bit around my yard and had just my hat on. I couldn’t duck down far enough behind the 15” without getting way back behind the bars.  I realized a 1000 miles in the predicted temperatures would be a bad idea, but couldn’t get a tall windshield. 

I did the add-on and was very happy.  It works great and I can unscrew it in warmer temps or to load on one of my older trailers with a shorter cap. 

I am going to change all my sleds over in the future so that that trailer can be used.  It pulls easier than any other trailer I own and is a 16’ long bed under the cap leaving room for the longest mountain sleds and plenty of storage tubs and gas cans. 

By the way that is my new 2018 sled, but one of Paige’s heated grips went out, so I switched sleds because she couldn’t do the long days without. 

Scott

My old Jag Z1 had the best windshield I ever had. It was adjustable. There were thumb screws on either side of the windshield and notches in the upper portion of the windshield. You could loosen the thumbscrews and raise or lower the height of the windshield by a few inches depending on how warm or cold it was that day.

11 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Hi Denis,

Scott

Must be a Cat thing with the heated grips failing.  Our Yamaha Sleds didn't need the muffs, so we loaned them to him after his grips failed. It just killed him to ride with those Yamaha muffs on his Cat. I'll use the pic without his face in it.....he is bigger and younger than me...

20160209_211749.jpg

18 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Must be a Cat thing with the heated grips failing.  Our Yamaha Sleds didn't need the muffs, so we loaned them to him after his grips failed. It just killed him to ride with those Yamaha muffs on his Cat. I'll use the pic without his face in it.....he is bigger and younger than me...

20160209_211749.jpg

The heated grip failed due to damage from last season.  Not the fault of the heating element or wiring on the sled.  Sled spilled on an icy road.  Kept working until this trip.  When I expanded the grip with the air hose and slid it off, I could see where the scuff on the grip had actually penetrated the element and eventually caused it to open the circuit.

I have replaced the element and grip.  So fast and easy with Cat putting the bar plugs to hold air pressure!  All good now and the track has screw-in grips to stop it from happening again this season.  1000 miles and they still look good.

Archived