Northern Ride

soupkids

I'm looking at doing a saddle bag tour with my oldest son..

Basic trip is the canyon as far west as hornpayne depending on time.

I know a bunch of you on here have done simular.

What realistically  time wise would I be looking.

Canyon takes just about a day, then off to ??

I don't want to have to run at 50 mph all day, want to enjoy the trip.

Looking for help on this.

26 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Cochrane to Hearst is a nice day run, if you add the canyon in kap is a reaonsible distance if not too cold, some have done the canyon and headed to Hearst for the night. You would have to boggie to do that no doubt. Kap as nice trails and moon beam is worth checking out. 

8 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Cochrane to Hearst is a nice day run, if you add the canyon in kap is a reaonsible distance if not too cold, some have done the canyon and headed to Hearst for the night. You would have to boggie to do that no doubt. Kap as nice trails and moon beam is worth checking out. 

He wants to smell the roses.... 

Cochrane Canyon SRF for lunch... back to Cochrane with a side trip up to the fire watch tower.... next day Cochrane Hearst, stopping at Moonbeam Clubhouse for brunch... open Thursday through Sunday.... loop on the L123 to Opasatika fuel up .... do the L161 L159 down to Hearst. Day 3 do the Fushimi loop on way to Hornepayne then on to Groomer guys place .... :D

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

What everyone else said, but how many days of riding and what is the start place?

We saddle bag with 5 or 6 guys, which means a slightly slower pace. I track all fuel fills, including time of day, since I'm the planner.  If you like that level of detail PM me and I can screen cap my spreadsheet which will let you see pretty exact travel times through the northern corridor.

7 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

What everyone else said, but how many days of riding and what is the start place?

We saddle bag with 5 or 6 guys, which means a slightly slower pace. I track all fuel fills, including time of day, since I'm the planner.  If you like that level of detail PM me and I can screen cap my spreadsheet which will let you see pretty exact travel times through the northern corridor.

Maybe post right on here l would be interested in seeing it and I am sure other people would as well. This year I was thinking of recording a few trip as well as the hour meter and sled mileage for average speed.

So a fair assumption for riding would be.

Cochrane to kap with the canyon day1

Kap to horepayne/dubreville  back to hearst day 2

Hearst to Cochrane day 3.

Does this sound reasonable.

50 minutes ago, soupkids said:

So a fair assumption for riding would be.

Cochrane to kap with the canyon day1

Kap to horepayne/dubreville  back to hearst day 2

Hearst to Cochrane day 3.

Does this sound reasonable.

Day 1 is approx. 190 miles with no side trips

Day 2 the way you have it is about a 450 mile day I believe. Kap to Hearst on A trail is 90 miles, Hornepayne from Hearst is 100 miles, Hornepayne to Dub is about 80 miles.

Day 3 is 190 miles via A trail

7 hours ago, northstar said:

Maybe post right on here l would be interested in seeing it and I am sure other people would as well. This year I was thinking of recording a few trip as well as the hour meter and sled mileage for average speed.

We trailer to New Liskeard and stage from there, for many years now. We start sledding at 8AM sharp each day. Hearst to Hornpayne (and back) has a 9AM start *a rest\easy day). Usually a 1 hour lunch stop.

Northern Corridor Times (Apex).jpg

Northern Corridor Times (Vector).jpg

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Day 1 is approx. 190 miles with no side trips

Day 2 the way you have it is about a 450 mile day I believe. Kap to Hearst on A trail is 90 miles, Hornepayne from Hearst is 100 miles, Hornepayne to Dub is about 80 miles.

Day 3 is 190 miles via A trail

As PLC pointed out, Day 2 not going to work. Go to Hornpayne, and then back to Hearst. Actually the run south of the highway to Hornepayne is in my top 5 favs up there, with the L123 being just above the HP run on my favs list. Some of us have done Hearst to Cochrane via AB, which I think is about 500KM (300 miles), and that is only possible because of the Hydro line running; no brutally cold temps, and smooth trails. At the end of the day, if you are over 40, you are looking for someone to carry you to the room...on a 500KM day. We try to limit to about 350KM per day. If it is - 30 c, forget any idea of long runs..My GPS moving average over the years has pretty consistently come in at 60KM\Hr as an average, with p breaks, fuel stops, lunch stops and sometimes even a scenic look out stop, the day average tends to drop to about 35 or 40 KM\Hr. (No, I wasn't doing 144KM\Hr in the first 1 min...)

The 2018 plan is typically what I try to follow for days...

Northern Corridor Moving Average HP to Hearst.jpg

2018 Trip.jpg

I'm pretty sure the loop to dubriville is out then.

Hearst the hp and back 

7 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

We trailer to New Liskeard and stage from there, for many years now. We start sledding at 8AM sharp each day. Hearst to Hornpayne (and back) has a 9AM start *a rest\easy day). Usually a 1 hour lunch stop.

Northern Corridor Times (Apex).jpg

Northern Corridor Times (Vector).jpg

I like what you have done with all your stats for fuel etc. pretty cool stuff.

Archived