insurance question??

zoso

We have a second garage on the back of the property, it is on a slab and about 12 by 20. I would value it for insurance at about 15k or less. My BIL has an old stove I can pick up for free, thing is, it is not certified. I suspect I would not be covered if it caused the garage to burn down. However if I put it in and risk that, should I inform insurance that I would like to exclude this outbuilding from my policy or simply do it and say nothing. Obviously if I told them I am doing this they would exclude it but would this affect any other part of my policy?

I would care more about the contents.  Tough call.  

23 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I would care more about the contents.  Tough call.  

i do not keep much in there, some implements for my lawn tractor and gardening things. I assume if I installed, said nothing, and a theft occurred, it would be a non issue?

Wood stove fires are generally caused by careless people, they are pretty safe units to run.

Knowing the unit is not certified and there is really not much valuable items placed in it, I would install the fire place, to the standards of today, and not concern myself about telling the ins.

I assume if the garage caught fire, it would pretty much only affect that building, no close enough to your house or a neighbours?

9 minutes ago, zoso said:

i do not keep much in there, some implements for my lawn tractor and gardening things. I assume if I installed, said nothing, and a theft occurred, it would be a non issue?

I would install it then.

I just paid out a garage fire total this week, had a wood stove and that was the cause.

was an old unit, installed by the owner and not disclosed, we paid it, but I would not suggest every insurer is the same.

19 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

I just paid out a garage fire total this week, had a wood stove and that was the cause.

was an old unit, installed by the owner and not disclosed, we paid it, but I would not suggest every insurer is the same.

So you work for insurance??

11 hours ago, gobills said:

So you work for insurance??

Yes, 18 years in claims

Couldn't you just install it properly and get it wett certified? We bought our house and it has a wood stove, all the insurance company wanted was it to be certified, the home inspector was able to do it and it wasn't that much, maybe $100 if I remember correctly.

11 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

Couldn't you just install it properly and get it wett certified? We bought our house and it has a wood stove, all the insurance company wanted was it to be certified, the home inspector was able to do it and it wasn't that much, maybe $100 if I remember correctly.

Can sometimes cost you a lot more than that and require a lot of work.

26 minutes ago, Poo Man said:

it cannot be wett certified, however it would be installed properly. 

4 hours ago, Poo Man said:

4 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Can sometimes cost you a lot more than that and require a lot of work.

I always thought in order to get your system WETT certified, the wood stove itself needed to have certain details of it, noted right on it i.e. a stamp, etc....and some older units do not have any markings what so ever on them, making it not possible to be WETT certified, or as Spidy suggested, counter productive to certify those due to the cost associated with trying to get those older units WETT certified, you are better off buying a new unit with that criteria already meet.

Archived