Went out today and did a little brushing.

zoso

So me and my little bow saw went for a ride today. A slow cruise around the local area cutting back some brush here and there. Nice way to spend a few hours outside. It got me thinking. If every single rider carried a saw and stopped four times for less than five minutes each time and cut back some brush, and did this on their first two rides of the year, our volunteers would have a much easier go of it during a time they may like to also ride.  Now, here is the problem. Liability! Once again this word rears its ugly head. There is no way in today's society could any entity ask this of people without being subject to liability when a guy cuts off his finger and decides to call a lawyer. However, encouraging this be done when you are acting as nothing more than an individual carries with it no risk at all. So, when you meet sledders on the trail this year, ask them if they will do it.

4 minutes ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

I do it too. Not with a saw but I’ll stop to remove debris that 100 other sleds have driven over and cared less about. Branches or garbage etc. 

Every little bit helps. there are 100000 people riding the trails, if we all did just a little something it would make a massive difference. I always have my saw, it fits easily in my trunk, many may not have a place, but even tossing a rock off the trail is something a volunteer does not have to do, and you may save a life.

5 minutes ago, zoso said:

Every little bit helps. there are 100000 people riding the trails, if we all did just a little something it would make a massive difference. I always have my saw, it fits easily in my trunk, many may not have a place, but even tossing a rock off the trail is something a volunteer does not have to do, and you may save a life.

Yellow caution tape and 2 minutes to walk back 75 feet to warn of a hole or obstruction can help save a life even. Some may think it’s trash. Clever experienced riders would pick up on the hint. 

caution tape is one thing I've been meaning to pick up and carry with me. There's been a couple times I've been out on a solo ride, and thought, that was an accident waiting to happen.  While I don't carry a saw, I regularly move things off trail, do hand brushing or pick up trash etc. and for the couple times I've blown a belt (one my sled, one a buddy's) I make sure all little bits get stuffed into a trunk or pockets. etc.

2 hours ago, zoso said:

So me and my little bow saw went for a ride today. A slow cruise around the local area cutting back some brush here and there. Nice way to spend a few hours outside. It got me thinking. If every single rider carried a saw and stopped four times for less than five minutes each time and cut back some brush, and did this on their first two rides of the year, our volunteers would have a much easier go of it during a time they may like to also ride.  Now, here is the problem. Liability! Once again this word rears its ugly head. There is no way in today's society could any entity ask this of people without being subject to liability when a guy cuts off his finger and decides to call a lawyer. However, encouraging this be done when you are acting as nothing more than an individual carries with it no risk at all. So, when you meet sledders on the trail this year, ask them if they will do it.

I don't carry a saw. But I was out Wednesday and cleared a couple of big rocks and branches off of trail.

How many times have we all ridden along to a big rock that the groomer has kicked up & seen sled tracks go around said rock? I carry a Fiskars folding saw like this:

POWER-TOOTH-Sliding-Carabiner-Saw-6.jpg

A very sharp blade & it's surprising what it'll cut thru. Fits easily in a tank or tunnel bag.

Also works with moving rocks and wood brought up by the groomer drags, every little bit helps in the end... 

Good post!

12 hours ago, revrnd said:

How many times have we all ridden along to a big rock that the groomer has kicked up & seen sled tracks go around said rock? I carry a Fiskars folding saw like this:

POWER-TOOTH-Sliding-Carabiner-Saw-6.jpg

A very sharp blade & it's surprising what it'll cut thru. Fits easily in a tank or tunnel bag.

Retractable saw in pic.    I do carry a folding saw for if I have to keep warm. I hate cutting limbs that might be just weighed down by snow. Living trees should be left alone. I'm not a tree hugger BTW.  I do clear the trails of debris or rocks.

I wonder.....  would it be better to shake the limb clear of snow and on the way back, it might be hanging higher away from the trail. If not, then trimming is necessary by reporting to local club for volunteers to take care of it. Therefore avoiding liability.

6 hours ago, Yamaha Fan said:

Retractable saw in pic.    I do carry a folding saw for if I have to keep warm. I hate cutting limbs that might be just weighed down by snow. Living trees should be left alone. I'm not a tree hugger BTW.  I do clear the trails of debris or rocks.

I wonder.....  would it be better to shake the limb clear of snow and on the way back, it might be hanging higher away from the trail. If not, then trimming is necessary by reporting to local club for volunteers to take care of it. Therefore avoiding liability.

Really, you call a club and advise them there is a low hanging branch on a trail when you have a saw on you and rode right by it? there is no liability if you take it upon yourself to cut a branch.

17 hours ago, zoso said:

Really, you call a club and advise them there is a low hanging branch on a trail when you have a saw on you and rode right by it? there is no liability if you take it upon yourself to cut a branch.

I'm one of a kind riding the trails ... faced enough crap on the trails. I would hate to be cutting a limb and a property owner comes up as I was doing so alone. I've done it before on the E108 railbed but I will not on private property.  You can do as you wish. I would think twice based on my experience on the trails and off. 

Yes I would or would not call a club depending on necessity. I have more to loose.

4 hours ago, Yamaha Fan said:

I'm one of a kind riding the trails ... faced enough crap on the trails. I would hate to be cutting a limb and a property owner comes up as I was doing so alone. I've done it before on the E108 railbed but I will not on private property.  You can do as you wish. I would think twice based on my experience on the trails and off. 

Yes I would or would not call a club depending on necessity. I have more to loose.

Sounds like you had an unpleasant encounter out there. I am not talking about widening a trail, but removing brush that has become an obstruction on a trail. Land owners give permission for this activity to take place and are made aware that brush will be cut back. Now if you are riding through an orchard, it may be wise not to touch any of the fruit trees as this is a persons living and would be best left to the club that knows and speaks with the owner.  I think if we all use common sense we can cut back brush when appropriate, but of course if anyone feels uncomfortable doing so, then it is best to err on the side of caution.

One thing I just did last weekend was clear off a sign.Sounds insignificant until someone misses a stop sign.I also carry a saw in my trunk although I kinda wish I had snips for those shoots that just have to whack you.lol

Any Member of OFSC be it club district Volunteer or Rider can remove debris or brush within the right away of the trail to make safe passage.

the determination of this is something laying within the groomed limits if you go off to the side of the trail and cut down someones maple sugar tree just because you think its too close (which obviously its not cause the groomer has been by already) might become a problem.

Today myself and 2 others all club trail Patrollers but were on a personal ride day still picked up and kicked off the trail i would estimate ruffly 20 - 30 branches - logs and sticks that would def hurt a rider or the groomer if they pop up on them all of which were clearly on the trail.

Did a bit myself today too.

This is a great thread! Thanks to everyone who does a little bit.  The moral to this thread is “many hands make work light” and a safer, more enjoyable experience for all of us..

I have carried a folding saw for years. Use it regularly. I personally maintain a few Kms of seasonal forest access rd as it is the road into our hunt camp. Makes it easy for local club to groom that section. 

A couple years back I came across a tangle of fence wire on a hump between two fields.  I didn't have wire cutters or caution tape. (two things I carry now)

If a ski had caught it, the sled would likely have jerked sideways at the very least.  Sadly, the best I could come up with was to break off a trail marker stake and jam it into the middle of the wire to make it obvious.  Felt bad about the damage to the trail marker but thought it was the lesser of two evils.  On a subsequent trip the wire was gone and a new stake was back in place.

A little different scenario, but 10 years ago we were riding the B trail I think it was down near Bigwind Lake Park and came across a washout.  We stopped and did what we could to put warnings on the trail on both sides, notified the local club, and ended up helping two guys that tried to get through.  One guy went into the creek slowly, but threw a rock into his tunnel trying to power out and ended up getting it stuck.  They were on their way to Parry Sound, and it took us a couple hours into the darkness to get them on their way.

I realize this was a totally different situation than what the OP is talking about, but I hope most would have taken the time to try and warn people of this.  Someone would have been killed easily if they ran into this at any speed.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_82ab.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_82c5.jpg

Archived