Bare essentials

Puggz

19 minutes ago, revrnd said:

During 1 trip up NORTH, I was complaining to myself about all the stuff I was lugging around for the week on the trails. I announced to everyone that next year I was just bringing a toothbrush & toothpaste. LOL

On a serious note, I usually had a pair of Mechanix gloves. Wearing them while giving the sled a once over & topping up oil kept my riding gloves free of oil, grease & rubber grime. Plus, easier to hold a beer.

Good one.

Flashlight, tool kit, belt, plugs, zip ties, band aids, knife, lighter and matches, phone and caa card

7 hours ago, Wyatt said:

Also spark plugs - I have 2 extras in my bag

.... and no spark plug wrench ..... :D

5 hours ago, zoso said:

Convert to Islam and all you need is a bottle of water...two birds.

4 hours ago, Puggz said:

im not interested in virgins when I die....

:rotflmao:

3 hours ago, Micar said:

CASH.

Easier to convince someone to give you a ride to your truck and trailer or provide you a belt, oil etc....if you've got dollar bills!!

I've got a list as long as my arm of people I've taxi'd around the Corridor on breakdowns.... always a pleasure helping folks out that have interests similar to mine ... :D

To add to the list.

Multi tool

Hose clamps.. a few doubles on the hoses

Mechanics wire

2 exhaust springs

Spare gloves

Heat packs

Emergency blanket

The one thing nobody has mentioned to take with you. A riding buddy on their own sled. I'm not a fan of riding alone

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Flashlight, tool kit, belt, plugs, zip ties, band aids, knife, lighter and matches, phone and caa card

We had a guy use CAA to haul a sled from Chapleau to Timmins. I used it to get my sled from Wawa to Chapleau.

since I don't have one of those fancy new sleds, and given I do a fair amount of solo riding, I've got the room on top of my belt shield for a collapsible shovel.  Haven't needed it myself, but first time I carried it last year (as per a previous ride report) I used it to help dig out another solo rider I came across who had been buried in a snowdrift for over an hour. :)

While I have yet to use it and prove it out, and I have carried a ratchet strap before in addition to my tow rope kit, as figure it can act as a multi function tool. Wrap strap side around a clutch in case of a snapped pull start cord.  throw over an overhead object connect to bumper, and ratchet up if you need to lift up back (or front) of sled to inspect or run your track for some reason (ex chip out frozen suspension.) use it to ratchet out of a stuck situation like a (very slow) winch assuming there's an object within reach you can hook onto. Potential tow rope. And so on...

Duct tape. Cause it can fix all kinds of crap in a pinch! hoping to add caution tape too.

And of course I'll state what should be the obvious. A brain, a huge dose of common sense, and a don't be a dick attitude. :) 

IMG_20170213_0939283 (1).jpg

Carry basically all the items mentioned plus a few others . We are not always on the main trails and do a bit of exploring (crown land north of French River). Always carry a Polaris Multi Tool ( bush axe), Fold up snow  shovel from CTC, compass, container of bbq fire starter. We know how to start a fire without it but this makes it easier if you don't have the best wood to start with. Small booster pack,  starter cord with plastic hook that comes in most Ski Doo tool packs to wrap around primary clutch to start if needed. (2 stroke only)  Powder Jack to lift sled when stuck bad, and a we all carry a 50 ft easy accessible throw rope with floater weight on end should someone go thru the ice or we come across someone who has. No time to be looking for a long branch in the middle of a lake.

RW 

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

During 1 trip up NORTH, I was complaining to myself about all the stuff I was lugging around for the week on the trails. I announced to everyone that next year I was just bringing a toothbrush & toothpaste. LOL

On a serious note, I usually had a pair of Mechanix gloves. Wearing them while giving the sled a once over & topping up oil kept my riding gloves free of oil, grease & rubber grime. Plus, easier to hold a beer.

That's what the drink holder on my handlebar is for:cheers:

A plastic shopping bag. Takes up very little room but makes carrying broken belt and all the little chunks of belt easier. I hate finding that crap beside the trail, or thrown farther off the trail. You start seeing it from the groomer later in the season as the sun gets stronger.

If you absolutely must leave it, put it in a neat pile beside a trail picket where it will be found by volunteer taking down signs in spring.

Archived