Bare essentials

Puggz

What do you take with you when you ride?  I'm looking more at a day trip scenario, not overnight although there shouldn't be much difference except a change of cloths and toiletries.

.  Here is a start.

• Wallet - license, Credit Cards, CASH, etc.
  • Cellphone (smartphone w/GPS)Fully Charged and 12volt charger.
  • Toolkit that came with the sled
  • Sunglasses, gloves, and a toque/hat for when you're taking a break, Gas, Mtce, etc.
  • Water, Coffee, Snacks (Granola bars etc)
  • Oil (2 stroke only)
  • Map and/or trip itinerary - including food and fuel
  • Sled registration and proof of insurance
  • Bum Wipe
  • Spark Plugs (and a wrench i hope!)
  • Lighter and tinder
  • Extra mitts/gloves
  • tow rope

Bum wipe.  Every moving vehicle I own has a part-roll in a ziploc bag in it somewhere.... even the Alpine, and it's always near home ...

x2

Especially in the Northern Corridor.

BP

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

What do you take with you when you ride?  I'm looking more at a day trip scenario, not overnight although there shouldn't be much difference except a change of cloths and toiletries.

.  Here is a start.

• Wallet - license, Credit Cards, etc.
  • Sunglasses and a toque/hat for when you're taking a break
  • Oil (2 stroke only)

Extra tools - most sled kits have minimal mostly useless tools

Tow rope & straps

Folding pruning saw

Duct & electrical tape

Spare belt

Thin pair of gloves for other activities

Advil

Flash light

58 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

x2

Especially in the Northern Corridor.

BP

Do tell??

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

.  Here is a start.

• Wallet - license, Credit Cards, etc.
  • Sunglasses and a toque/hat for when you're taking a break
  • Oil (2 stroke only)
  • Bum Wipe
  •  

I have a tow strap and compact booster cables. I also have oil for the 4 stroke. I believe the 2 stroke has a sensor to alert you the reservoir is getting low but still has oil in it. $ stroke I believe it means low oil pressure and continuing could do damage (could be wrong) perhaps Bill or Denis could comment on that. I also have a spare belt, a few spare fuses. Since someone I was with once needed and was lucky to have some... a few extra long zip ties. Light weight work gloves. I like the tan leather ones that I find at Canadian Tire.

When I had a sled with a much larger storage compartment behind the seat I also carried a small boat winch with a strap to hook it to a tree. Just in case I got stuck I could use the winch to crank the sled out.

To add to what others said. Gas siphon, box cutter, small fire starter wax log

Before long you will be up to Ned Nickerson's list.

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

Do tell??

I have left a few prizes behind around Hearst and Mooseland.  Most restaurant food don't agree with me.

BP

WELL, HE DID ASK.

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

Before long you will be up to Ned Nickerson's list.

I have left a few prizes behind around Hearst and Mooseland.  Most restaurant food don't agree with me.

BP

Some of the small hole in the wall lunch stops are excellent... others mediocre and others yet are horrible. It all comes out in the end.

10 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

Also spark plugs - I have 2 extras in my bag

The two stroke skidoo sleds I have had actually had a holder for spare spark plugs under the engine cowling. Don't know if they still do or not but I always thought it was a good idea to have the holder there.

10 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

Also spark plugs - I have 2 extras in my bag

You will likely find that pretty much all sleds in the last 10 years do not foul plugs anymore....like they used too.

I used to carry plugs, and never used them, not once, so I stopped carrying them.

jackknife

handwarmers

toque

4 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Bum wipe.  Every moving vehicle I own has a part-roll in a ziploc bag in it somewhere.... even the Alpine, and it's always near home ...

Convert to Islam and all you need is a bottle of water...two birds.

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

WELL, HE DID ASK.

Got just what I was asking for  :blink:

33 minutes ago, zoso said:

Convert to Islam and all you need is a bottle of water...two birds.

im not interested in virgins when I die....

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I have a tow strap and compact booster cables. I also have oil for the 4 stroke. I believe the 2 stroke has a sensor to alert you the reservoir is getting low but still has oil in it. $ stroke I believe it means low oil pressure and continuing could do damage (could be wrong) perhaps Bill or Denis could comment on that. I also have a spare belt, a few spare fuses. Since someone I was with once needed and was lucky to have some... a few extra long zip ties. Light weight work gloves. I like the tan leather ones that I find at Canadian Tire.

When I had a sled with a much larger storage compartment behind the seat I also carried a small boat winch with a strap to hook it to a tree. Just in case I got stuck I could use the winch to crank the sled out.

Don't know about all 4 strokes, but the good ones :-) have an oil level sensor and shut down if the oil pressure becomes low.

The list I posted earlier is always carried on my sled.

CASH.

Easier to convince someone to give you a ride to your truck and trailer or provide you a belt, oil etc....if you've got dollar bills!!

26 minutes ago, Micar said:

CASH.

Easier to convince someone to give you a ride to your truck and trailer or provide you a belt, oil etc....if you've got dollar bills!!

GOod one!

29 minutes ago, Micar said:

CASH.

Works for me.

During 1 trip up NORTH, I was complaining to myself about all the stuff I was lugging around for the week on the trails. I announced to everyone that next year I was just bringing a toothbrush & toothpaste. LOL

On a serious note, I usually had a pair of Mechanix gloves. Wearing them while giving the sled a once over & topping up oil kept my riding gloves free of oil, grease & rubber grime. Plus, easier to hold a beer.

Archived