At least one spot available on trip to Mont Laurier this weekend

GrizzlyGriff

Me and 2 buddies are going to Mont Laurier leaving around 5 pm Friday and returning by early to mid evening Monday.  We have a cabin with an extra bed and room in one of our 2 trucks/trailers.  Trails are supposed to be good.  We are interested in filling the spot if anyone is interested.  If more want to come, I am sure there is room at the Comfort inn in Mont Laurier (Friday Night) and Poirvoirie 100 Lacs Sud just south of Parent (Sat, Sun nights).  Could meet up in Uxbridge or Bobcaygeon.

If interested PM or post.

Please let me know how you found the trails once you get back.  I'm hoping to make the trip on the 12th.  I've heard there's only 10" of snow in Mont Laurier right now though.

Mont Laurier is showing yellow.  Green north of St Annes du Lac and the owner of 100 Lacs says the trails are superb. www.woodrunnertrails.ca

Probably headed up that way Thursday, depending on the domestic situation...

Will happily report back. Friends say things are good. 

We are in St Zenon right now and the conditions going north are far better. 

9FF2196E-F628-4FD8-A9F2-19781A555260.jpeg

8645C7D3-6B72-44F0-BE66-617C271D0AE3.jpeg

If more are going and need a place to stay, great lil motel about 15 minutes east of Mt Laurier right on the  trail.

FYI. trails east of LacDesEcorces which hook north / swing over towards St Anndulac see  a fraction of the traffic main trails north out of Mount Laurier / Devils mountain do (take 63 to 53 north then 319 West to St Ann) 

Thanks guys for the reports and tips.  Great photos Nunz!

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎02 at 10:03 PM, manotickmike said:

Probably headed up that way Thursday, depending on the domestic situation...

Will happily report back. Friends say things are good. 

Sorry, forgot to report back after Thursday's ride.

There was 15+ cm of new snow, trails and grooming were mid-winter AWESOME. 

Yes. Mont Laurier to Sainte Anne du Lac a bit thin on places on Sat.  North of that was amazing .   Rest of weekend was great as usual   No one in the lodges.  3 of us had a six bed chalet at Mekoos. Beautiful spot with great food. The owner asked me how he could promote his business in Ont. I gave him some forums to engage with. We may see him appear on OC.   In my opinion a better place to go than Cochrane if you are trailering over 6 hours

Think it'll survive the coming rain?  Weather network is calling for 20 mm of rain between tomorrow and Friday and then some snow in the area for Friday night and Saturday.  Really debating whether to push the trip off a couple weeks or not. Even if they get the snow it will take time for the grooming to get around everything.  Did you get as far North as Parent?

On 1/10/2018 at 7:12 PM, GrizzlyGriff said:

Yes. Mont Laurier to Sainte Anne du Lac a bit thin on places on Sat.  North of that was amazing .   Rest of weekend was great as usual   No one in the lodges.  3 of us had a six bed chalet at Mekoos. Beautiful spot with great food. The owner asked me how he could promote his business in Ont. I gave him some forums to engage with. We may see him appear on OC.   In my opinion a better place to go than Cochrane if you are trailering over 6 hours

Best promotion I can think of,  have the staff stop with the brutally rude attitude when a group stops for a meal not realizing the lodge is on a meal plan only. A polite explanation or perhaps sign at the door would have been more appropriate. Funny thing about it, as we got off our sleds and looked around (Lodge n property are exceptional to look at) talk was about how this might be a fantastic place to base our riding out of on our next trip.

I understand the reasoning behind it and get it's a business decision but I saw a group similarly pissed off when they were turned away from the Sportsman Lodge when I stayed there last spring. Talking with them outside, they understood what was going on and why,  was the flippant way it was said that pissed them off.  First impressions are everything, that was a group of 8 or 9 that you can guarantee will never have a nice thing to say about the place. 

My personal review of Sportsman Lodge, could not have had a better time.

I just saw a tourism ad on the Barrie news for the Laurentians with laurentians.com across the bottom of the screen. There was lots of snow and lots of shots with snowmobiles. Now right near the start of the commercial they showed a number of sleds in a row but I'm sure right behind the lead sled was a blue ATV. Do they allow ATV's on the snowmobile trails.

12 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I just saw a tourism ad on the Barrie news for the Laurentians with laurentians.com across the bottom of the screen. There was lots of snow and lots of shots with snowmobiles. Now right near the start of the commercial they showed a number of sleds in a row but I'm sure right behind the lead sled was a blue ATV. Do they allow ATV's on the snowmobile trails.

In some places they do, especially if trying to cross a water or other obstacle. Most often they are separate trails but may run side by side with a sled trail. The trail markers for the ATV's are blue so you can tell which trail is for which vehicles although  many of us have been fooled when having to make a quick decision on which trail to ride on.

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

In some places they do, especially if trying to cross a water or other obstacle. Most often they are separate trails but may run side by side with a sled trail. The trail markers for the ATV's are blue so you can tell which trail is for which vehicles although  many of us have been fooled when having to make a quick decision on which trail to ride on.

In the ad the ATV was directly following the lead sled followed by more sleds on the one trail

Quite possible as there are sections where the trails are shared.  They are usually short and involve bridges or other limited access areas.

Re Mekoos. Lots of sleds there at lunchtime eating in the bar.  The trails survived north from Sainte Anne du Lacs. Check out woodrunnertrail.ca for trail conditions 

34 minutes ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Re Mekoos. Lots of sleds there at lunchtime eating in the bar.  The trails survived north from Sainte Anne du Lacs. Check out woodrunnertrail.ca for trail conditions 

Perhaps policy has changed?

Cool if it has.

Perhaps we ran into someone having an off day, reply from the lodge shows no problem except for dinner.

Hi,
Here are the hours for the meal.
Breakfast is between 7:30 to 9:00
Lunch is between 12:00 and 14:00
From 14:30 to 16:00 we can make chicken wings with fries.
The evening meal is between 18:30 to 20:00
For dinner, you need a reservation.
Thanks
Bobby

Archived