Not a good day to go sledding

soupkids

3 hours ago, soupkids said:

Just a quick update.

I'm fine, my son insisted I get looked at by professionals.

He called 911 as I had spent 30 to 40 minutes  in the water trying to recover the sled.

EMS checked me out, other than raised BP all good.

Now to the sled and the story behind it.

Sled is still in the water, recovery effort tomorrow, I figure it will be a right off.

Sled is under water, all you can see is the windshield. 

Here are the circumstances. 

C trail north is closed due to this spot.

We (son and a friend came along) where checking to see where the ice dam was to see if it was possiable to remove the dam or once again reroute the trail.

The trail initially  had a couple on inches of flowing water on it.

When the sled broke through I hammered the flipper but the belt had already got wet so down it went.

We tried to get it out but only managed to get it deeper in the water.

If anybody wants to help in the recovery we are meeting  at the Tim's in Capreol  at 11 am.

Glad to here you came out nothing more than a bit cold. Wish I could help but 6 hours away.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, barberch said:

thats how the guys that are volunteers and part of the club get the trails open. They have to inspect them first

Thanks for the info.   That's an unfortunate way to end up after an inspection.  Glad he's ok.

Glad you are OK.  Sorry about your situation and thanks for your dedication.

Glad you didn't get hurt Soup. Thanks for your efforts to get the trail open. Hopefully everything works out with the sled.

Soup if you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all . Hope the rest of the year things take turn for the better. Chin up.

7 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

Hope recovery went well... I've read of some people drying everything out and surprisingly still working

In our area there is open water in Treasure Bay of Beausoleil Island, Honey Harbour. On a typical weekend there will be a lot of people out there doing puddle jumps. Every now and then a sled will go down, at times completely submerged and then pulled out. I've heard of one person whose sled has gone down 4 times I believe and it is still apparently running.

46 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

In our area there is open water in Treasure Bay of Beausoleil Island, Honey Harbour. On a typical weekend there will be a lot of people out there doing puddle jumps. Every now and then a sled will go down, at times completely submerged and then pulled out. I've heard of one person whose sled has gone down 4 times I believe and it is still apparently running.

I had an 88 Phazer that went for a swim in  a shallow area of Lake of Bays in 1990. Tip of the windshield was all that was showing out of the water. It was under for about 15 minutes. We towed it to shore and a guy living right there told us we needed to get it going right away. We drained all the fuel and put fresh in. Then we took the plugs out and pulled the engine over watching the water spew out. We put new plugs in and swapped them out (one guy with a lighter drying the wet ones) likely 7-8 times before she finally caught and started. I rode it back to the cottage. That night it was really cold and boy was the seat hard in the morning. It needed some hands on the clutch along with the recoil to get it to turn over in the morning but started and kept running until I finally sold it. Maybe that will work for Soup to.

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I had an 88 Phazer that went for a swim in  a shallow area of Lake of Bays in 1990. Tip of the windshield was all that was showing out of the water. It was under for about 15 minutes. We towed it to shore and a guy living right there told us we needed to get it going right away. We drained all the fuel and put fresh in. Then we took the plugs out and pulled the engine over watching the water spew out. We put new plugs in and swapped them out (one guy with a lighter drying the wet ones) likely 7-8 times before she finally caught and started. I rode it back to the cottage. That night it was really cold and boy was the seat hard in the morning. It needed some hands on the clutch along with the recoil to get it to turn over in the morning but started and kept running until I finally sold it. Maybe that will work for Soup to.

Did you trade it for an MXZ? 

:poke2:

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Did you trade it for an MXZ? 

:poke2:

No, I wasn't skipping at Dorset (although I may or may not have in my younger years LOL). My swim was in a bay up near the Baysville end of the lake. 

Talking to someone recently & they spoke of sinking a sled 'unintentionally' @ Ox Narrows under the highway bridge. I'm kind of familiar w/ the spot (maybe Wildbill or others can chime in), but isn't the trail always marked/staked to 'steer' people away from the bridge & the iffy ice conditions? I've heard of sunken sleds up @ the narrows between Kushog & St. Nora too.

The story seemed kind of fishy if you ask me. 

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

My buddy sunk at Dorset following behind me, believe my spray got his clutches wet, anyways, we got  it running again after a little work, but had to end up replacing the seat, would not dry out no matter what he did with it.

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Honey harbour 82 ish.  Lots of people

FB_IMG_1491671297166.jpg

Sled is out.

Those that have chimed in regarding getting them running, had the been sunk for 24 hrs ??.

Denis could you provide some input on today's sleds after going swimming ??

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

Sled is out.

Those that have chimed in regarding getting them running, had the been sunk for 24 hrs ??.

Put it through insurance. Electrical issues will haunt you forever.

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Talking to someone recently & they spoke of sinking a sled 'unintentionally' @ Ox Narrows under the highway bridge. I'm kind of familiar w/ the spot (maybe Wildbill or others can chime in), but isn't the trail always marked/staked to 'steer' people away from the bridge & the iffy ice conditions? I've heard of sunken sleds up @ the narrows between Kushog & St. Nora too.

The story seemed kind of fishy if you ask me. 

Yes its the bridge right beside the old Fire Hall restaurant. Its actually drops of very quick under the bridge to about 60 feet. There is a marked trail that takes you up to HWY 35 and through the parking lot of the OX narrows restaurant(great spot to stop as well).   As well there is a stake line that takes you over to the B.   Lots of sleds sink up at ST Nora. 

Don't forget to drain and dry out the chaincase . Take the gas tank off completely and drain, take it to a warm place to get all the moisture out including gas lines oil lines and tank. Don't forget the air box and baffles, headlight pod ect ect. good luck.

if you were directly working for the club on request to find a reroute trails then I'd discuss with the club and OFSC as volunteers are insured for these kinds of incidents so it doesn't affect your own insurance. I'm not sure how that works but my Prez did tell me when working for the club on club business OFSC has insurance in the event something breaks or someone gets hurt.

6 hours ago, zoso said:

Put it through insurance. Electrical issues will haunt you forever.

I believe Soup's insurance was cancelled!

7 hours ago, soupkids said:

Sled is out.

Soup, I replied to your message.  You'll see it before you read this.

11 hours ago, gobills said:

guys were there this past weekend.  Always fun to watch.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I have no use for idiots doing such stupidities.  Each and every one of them deserves a proper flogging and permanent loss of their sled and priveliges.  The environmental damage they cause is beyond belief when the fluids start seeping out.  Not to mention what kind of reputation that gives sledding in general, as if we don't have enough trouble looking respectable to the general public ....

My neighbour put his 2016 doo in 3 feet of water on Sturgeon lake a couple weeks ago.HB cycle talked the insurance company into righting it off.Now he is riding a new 850.

41 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Soup, I replied to your message.  You'll see it before you read this.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I have no use for idiots doing such stupidities.  Each and every one of them deserves a proper flogging and permanent loss of their sled and priveliges.  The environmental damage they cause is beyond belief when the fluids start seeping out.  Not to mention what kind of reputation that gives sledding in general, as if we don't have enough trouble looking respectable to the general public ....

They have seadoos for that use.

12 hours ago, soupkids said:

Sled is out.

Should be fine as long as electronics survive. Get it in a warm place, drain all fluids and get it running as fast as you can. Seen sleds under nice for a week or more, while they wait for ice to thicken to get them out. They were all fine. They don't degrade until you remove them and oxygen goes to work rusting main bearings if you don't get it up and running quick and dried out. 

Archived