Lake Couchiching

Muskoka cat guy

Do you know if the bottom end of Lake Couchcihing is safe in Orillia to cross

i want to catch the trail over to Midland

Facebook and other vetern riders tell me there many ice huts and good ice on Lake Couchcihing 

you can catch the B trail across the Lake now from the railway line

18 hours ago, Muskoka cat guy said:

Facebook and other vetern riders tell me there many ice huts and good ice on Lake Couchcihing 

you can catch the B trail across the Lake now from the railway line

Is the trail staked or just a few loco riding the lake 

I have not crossed but Couchching  not staked but lots of tracks and ice huts they told me on Facebook

going this Tuesday for a run there

Lake couchiching really opens up the trails when there is good ice , looking forward to your post about your ride on tuesday.

17 minutes ago, Muskoka cat guy said:

I have not crossed but Couchching  not staked but lots of tracks and ice huts they told me on Facebook

going this Tuesday for a run there

I rode it Saturday from the north rail trail to the south.  Didn't see any slush coming up and there was other sleds out on it.

I was out on Cooch on Saturday and didn't hit any slush.  There was a post on FB where a guy cut out a chunk of ice and it was 10" thick.  Not sure where he cut it from though

7 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

I was out on Cooch on Saturday and didn't hit any slush.  There was a post on FB where a guy cut out a chunk of ice and it was 10" thick.  Not sure where he cut it from though

I've been told there are parts of the lake with quite a bit of current to stay away from even in a good year. I like to stick to the marked path.

Local news quoted lake unsafe still tonight on TV. They had a groomer on the tv stating they will be out on the lake next week likely.

54 minutes ago, Wyatt said:

Local news quoted lake unsafe still tonight on TV. They had a groomer on the tv stating they will be out on the lake next week likely.

Your meaning orillia club will be out on the lake. No groomer on that lake.

Couchiching today at end of B105C railbed.

20180104_124417.jpg

That was me on the news last night. We've been too focused on our land trails to think about going out to check the ice. We wait until 12" of ice. We will likely check it next week if we can get our land trails all going. Our volunteers have been going at it very hard over the past 2 weeks! 

And it shows.

20180104_094645.jpg

P.S. I noticed you had to reroute parts of B to run along roads out by Bass Lake - - and also put up two very long parallel stretches of snow fence, to make a corridor on one farm. Hopefully this will help certain sledders remember where they're supposed to ride.

Thank you for the endless work being done by the Orillia club.

43 minutes ago, Oro Guy said:

That was me on the news last night. We've been too focused on our land trails to think about going out to check the ice. We wait until 12" of ice. We will likely check it next week if we can get our land trails all going. Our volunteers have been going at it very hard over the past 2 weeks! 

Thanks for all the hard work. We will be out riding from the orilllia cottage most likely this weekend..

57 minutes ago, Oro Guy said:

we have a celebrity in our midst.... :D  thanks to you and all of your club volunteers for all the work they put in.... when it comes to ice, rushing it isn't an option

2 hours ago, Oro Guy said:

Hey Oro Guy. I'm still hoping to meet you on the trail some time SOON.  Appreciate all you guys do for us.  THANKS.

p.s.  nice pics Blake

6 hours ago, Blake G said:

And it shows.

20180104_094645.jpg

P.S. I noticed you had to reroute parts of B to run along roads out by Bass Lake - - and also put up two very long parallel stretches of snow fence, to make a corridor on one farm. Hopefully this will help certain sledders remember where they're supposed to ride.

Thank you for the endless work being done by the Orillia club.

Hey Blake. thanks for the nice comments! Yes we lost a chunk of land so had to find a reroute which unfortunately involves asphalt! The snow fencing is to keep us contained in the construction zone while work gets done over the winter. Huge thanks to Arnott Construction for pounding in 1000 that's and installing roughly 1.5km of snow fence!!! They didn't have to but some of their main guys in Orillia are sledders :)  

02Sled- hahaha :lol: And thanks to for the nice comments. Not often we get them!!

exteme600- thanks to for the comments! Much appreciated! Great conditions out there for early season riding

Thanks all!

Cheers,

Mike 

16 minutes ago, Oro Guy said:

Hey Blake. thanks for the nice comments! Yes we lost a chunk of land so had to find a reroute which unfortunately involves asphalt! The snow fencing is to keep us contained in the construction zone while work gets done over the winter. Huge thanks to Arnott Construction for pounding in 1000 that's and installing roughly 1.5km of snow fence!!! They didn't have to but some of their main guys in Orillia are sledders :)  

02Sled- hahaha :lol: And thanks to for the nice comments. Not often we get them!!

exteme600- thanks to for the comments! Much appreciated! Great conditions out there for early season riding

Thanks all!

Cheers,

Mike 

Awesome job guys. The hard work does not go unnoticed..

6 hours ago, Oro Guy said:

Thanks all!

Cheers,

Mike 

Mike, we're trying to set it up so we can ride in a couple of weeks.  Work first.  Play later.  Seriously you guys do a FANTASTIC job on the trails.  LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!  Tell Arnott construction we thank them also.  You're right about the conditions.  They look FABULOUS!!  Can't wait to get there.  See you soon.

Couchiching is fine tons of ice was there yesterday riding

amazing trails in Barrie Orillia Midland Penetang with our team leader "Mr. Nunz"

we did some great smooth miles

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎03 at 3:48 PM, 02Sled said:

I've been told there are parts of the lake with quite a bit of current to stay away from even in a good year. I like to stick to the marked path.

Just stay away from the narrows at Atherley and also the top end of Cooch

1 hour ago, Muskoka cat guy said:

always open water at the top of Cooch

was fun in my younger days to run that water

Archived