Grooming funds....

zoso

On 1/4/2018 at 9:05 PM, bbakernbay said:

Here is today's post from our neighbouring Quebec Club.

They mean business tracking down Freeloaders and their QPP fully supports them.

No such law/policy or assistance in Ontario and it shows.

The government in quebec actually gives a crap about their trail system, and tourism in general. In Ontario the government only cares about Toronto. I bet the gay parade gets more government money than the trail system.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, zoso said:

I just rode a bunch of closed trails that are groomed.....are they closed, or is the ITG wrong, who knows, who cares?

I don't believe you  would be happy unless the groomer operators were updating the ITG as they drove.

3 hours ago, zoso said:

I just rode a bunch of closed trails that are groomed.....are they closed, or is the ITG wrong, who knows, who cares?

With the up and down temps we have been having, stakes that were standing on Jan 1 have fallen over, signs have blown over etc... the groomer goes out and packs a base, as well as notices that signs etc... need to be put up.  VOLUNTEERS then go out and do such work in order to make the trails safe for everyone to ride.  If the map is red and you want to ride, you better be towing a sleigh full of stakes, signs, and a sledge hammer to install such equipment.

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I don't believe you  would be happy unless the groomer operators were updating the ITG as they drove.

I simply pay no attention to it, it is useless and means nothing. if there is snow on the ground ride.

1 hour ago, Dave K said:

With the up and down temps we have been having, stakes that were standing on Jan 1 have fallen over, signs have blown over etc... the groomer goes out and packs a base, as well as notices that signs etc... need to be put up.  VOLUNTEERS then go out and do such work in order to make the trails safe for everyone to ride.  If the map is red and you want to ride, you better be towing a sleigh full of stakes, signs, and a sledge hammer to install such equipment.

Nope, no stakes down, trails groomed, so no need to tow a sleigh full of stakes and signs. Nice try.

On 2018-02-06 at 4:52 PM, bbakernbay said:

The OFSC has got to turn this ship around fast before it hits an iceberg and goes down like the Titanic.

- Complete screwup on the Trail Permit sales this season with huge labour costs sorting out multiple payments, lost permits, etc. plus lost confidence of the members.

- Interactive Trail Guide (ITG) seems like an ongoing disaster, fortunately the delayed season start eased the complaints somewhat.

- Permit Tracking System (PTS) down for the entire season.

- Complete lack of Federal and Provincial financial support indicates OFSC vaunted lobbying is ineffective.  As zoso says, this is an Election year at least get our issues on the radar.

- Multiple key and experienced personnel have left the organization and who knows the cost, both financially and operationally.

- Trail Patrol or Ambassadors) has absolutely zero impact on Freeloaders.

- STOP is gone.

- Risk Management seems to have disappeared as an ongoing OFSC priority.

- What has happened with Groomer Replacement plan that was much too aggressive in eliminating groomers.

- Is the determination that Husky Troopers and Tractors the right move.

- Are Industrial Groomers the only solution or should other alternatives be considered, especially in areas where swamps are an obstacle.

- Big Pete reports that finances may be an issue if the season were to turn around.

- No Board of Governors Meeting in February, the absolute peak of the season!

- Still no replacement for Executive Director.

Welcome your comments or corrections.

Did I miss anything and let’s hear some good news too.

Brian, you can add the Replacement Permit process to the disaster list. Our district office got a call today from a permit buyer who wanted to transfer his permit from his old sled to his new one. The OFSC office told him they were so far behind they could not estimate when they would get to him. Reading here, and on other boards/threads this situation seems to be common place. 

2 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Brian, you can add the Replacement Permit process to the disaster list. Our district office got a call today from a permit buyer who wanted to transfer his permit from his old sled to his new one. The OFSC office told him they were so far behind they could not estimate when they would get to him. Reading here, and on other boards/threads this situation seems to be common place. 

Oh yes that is a common issue for sure, our Club receives many requests for help getting replacement permits and it looks like they are not being handled in reasonable manner.  It is very frustrating for everyone involved, particularly with the season being so short.

Archived