Grooming funds....

zoso

2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Says nothing, open or closed has no bearing at all on your first party coverage.

I've always been told that if you go around a road closed barrier you have no insurance coverage if you have an accident. Am I correct in understanding from what you've stated above that this is not correct?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Says nothing, open or closed has no bearing at all on your first party coverage.

I had a challenge with my insurance company. They cover everything I have and they covered my mothers house. When she passed they said their rules didn't allow for the policy to be renewed after it expired in a few weeks. We were selling it and needed coverage. I ended up speaking to one of the underwriters to get an exception to their policy.

I took the opportunity to ask a couple of questions. One was about driving on a closed road as the road between Elmvale and Wasaga is often closed in the winter due to hazardous conditions. He told me that if the police had closed the road and I decided to travel on that road I wouldn't be covered.

Why would both the underwriter and the media state that when you travel on a closed road you don't have insurance coverage.

There is one other type of permit holder who I feel should be considered. That is the volunteer. They are the back bone of most clubs.If they  become disenchanted In their perception of how  the ofsc distribute monies to districts and begin to ask reasonable questions  they deserve some answers. Maybe a little easier access to information would change their perception and improve morale. If we lose our volunteeers the ofsc can raise permit prices as high as they like , but the trails aren’t going to brush themselves, bridges won’t repair themselves, land owners won’t be contacted, re-routes will be made more difficult and on and on. 

9 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

There is one other type of permit holder who I feel should be considered. That is the volunteer. They are the back bone of most clubs.If they  become disenchanted In their perception of how  the ofsc distribute monies to districts and begin to ask reasonable questions  they deserve some answers. Maybe a little easier access to information would change their perception and improve morale. If we lose our volunteeers the ofsc can raise permit prices as high as they like , but the trails aren’t going to brush themselves, bridges won’t repair themselves, land owners won’t be contacted, re-routes will be made more difficult and on and on. 

x2

13 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I had a challenge with my insurance company. They cover everything I have and they covered my mothers house. When she passed they said their rules didn't allow for the policy to be renewed after it expired in a few weeks. We were selling it and needed coverage. I ended up speaking to one of the underwriters to get an exception to their policy.

I took the opportunity to ask a couple of questions. One was about driving on a closed road as the road between Elmvale and Wasaga is often closed in the winter due to hazardous conditions. He told me that if the police had closed the road and I decided to travel on that road I wouldn't be covered.

Why would both the underwriter and the media state that when you travel on a closed road you don't have insurance coverage.

Underwriters, brokers nor media do insurance claims. I have yet to meet an underwriter who even understands the claims process, statutory conditions and the process at all after 18 years of doing claims. That is not their job nor role at all.Your situation on your mothers house happens every day, we automatically give you 6 months and often go a year if you pay.

there are few situations that limit your first party collision coverage and almost none that elIminate liability under the oap.

cheers

17 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

If you know road is closed and go past closed barriers, you would be in trouble I would think. No barriers and road isn't officially closed since how would you know, while out driving, unless you have a high tech gps or phone or right radio station on at the time. 

This is why clubs still use closed trail signs at road crossings and entrance ways to closed trails. Can't say you didn't know it was closed, unless you are from a different country I suppose. 

23 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

I agree, however, in my experience, often those volunteers are more active in the clubs and therefore more likely to ask those questions to someone on the executive of their club.  Hopefully, the approached exec member will be forthcoming with a satisfactory answer, or will refer the member to another exec member who can get the answer.

Unfortunately, I am not confident all clubs will be so welcoming.

41 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

Well stated! Thank you.

I have a soft spot for the volunteers. I belong to a small club that just about ceased operation very few years ago. My son and I volunteer when time allows and we see the same core of people doing the vast majority of the work and planning. This small core of volunteers have grown our club to have more members than ever in recent memory . I don’t delve into the financial matters of the club when it comes to funding and supply of equipment ,but when I hear  these dedicated people getting dejected about it I do get nervous about the future a little. 

A bit more clarity is not an unreasonable thing to ask for from ofsc. Perhaps reality is actually better than what we perceive.

No horse in this race, I did my volunteering time with the club/association/district and OFSC, found it somewhat difficult to sit down with the knives sticking in my back as a result, content nowadays to buy my permit and ride...regardless, I sure wish folks would spend a similar amount of time and resources finding out where their money goes when they vote municipally and provincially, spend their hard-earned money on valtag's, insurance, etc. as they do when they buy a $190 trail permit,just sayin'...

The OFSC acts on behalf of the approx. 210 member clubs, each of whom have a vote at AGM.  Your path for change is through your club.  Do things need to change/improve?  Absolutely!  Should every permit buyer have a vote?  Spend some time on the message boards, or worse on one of the juvenile Facebook sites (such as 613 Sleds & ATV's...a fine example of my tax dollars at work in the education system, other peoples utterly useless juveniles who can barely spell), and decide then if everyone should have a voice...God help us all.

I also think the worst thing we did a few years back was lower the permit price, it completely devalued the trail system in Ontario.

2 hours ago, Spanky said:

No horse in this race, I did my volunteering time with the club/association/district and OFSC, found it somewhat difficult to sit down with the knives sticking in my back as a result, content nowadays to buy my permit and ride...regardless, I sure wish folks would spend a similar amount of time and resources finding out where their money goes when they vote municipally and provincially, spend their hard-earned money on valtag's, insurance, etc. as they do when they buy a $190 trail permit,just sayin'...

The OFSC acts on behalf of the approx. 210 member clubs, each of whom have a vote at AGM.  Your path for change is through your club.  Do things need to change/improve?  Absolutely!  Should every permit buyer have a vote?  Spend some time on the message boards, or worse on one of the juvenile Facebook sites (such as 613 Sleds & ATV's...a fine example of my tax dollars at work in the education system, other peoples utterly useless juveniles who can barely spell), and decide then if everyone should have a voice...God help us all.

I also think the worst thing we did a few years back was lower the permit price, it completely devalued the trail system in Ontario.

I agree, the price never should have dropped. In regards to paying attention to our tax money, I know many that do, and I am one of them.

On 29/12/2017 at 6:02 PM, BruteMan said:

I could just as easily ask the same question about the last 5 years for clubs that never even opened a trail or opened for less than 2 weeks... what did you do with your grooming funds why didn't you save them in the event you get a year like this one. your statement while at the time from this point forward makes sense but you do know you've been paying

On 30/12/2017 at 11:36 AM, Wyatt said:

Well compared to Quebec it seems Ontario is rather cheap? Perhaps if they were completely transparent with the costs, where the money goes and so on it would make sense?

The alternative is to subdivide into weekend passes, day/night only passes and so on to the point where you come up with something that is affordable for everyone.

I believe everyone would be willing to pay more if it meant better trail conditions.

A good idea, but who's going to be out there 24/7 to enforce that?  It's no like the ski hills where someone is out there checking everyone.  I'm sure a lot would just by the cheapest permit out there and take the risk of getting caught maybe once a year...

On 2018-01-01 at 7:36 AM, Blake G said:

You might be right. It would be interesting to know the membership rights of each level.

From MPD-002 Membership

1.OFSCClass“A”Membership

1.1. EligibilityforClass“A”Membership

REVISION Issue Date: July 2015

To be eligible for Class “A” Membership with the OFSC, an organization must meet and maintain the following requirements:

1. 1.1.1.  Be a not-for-profit organization (club) incorporated under the laws of the province of Ontario with objectives primarily related to snowmobiling OR be a not for profit association consisting of two or more snowmobile clubs from the same OFSC District with objectives primarily related to snowmobiling.

2. 1.1.2.  Pay the annual member organization fee(s) and any other required fees established by the OFSC Board.

3. 1.1.3.  Sell a minimum of fifty (50) Seasonal and/or Classic snowmobile trail permits annually OR be an active member of an association which sells snowmobile trail permits and who's average sales per club meets the minimum requirements.

4. 1.1.4.  Be directly involved in the building, maintenance and/or grooming of OFSC prescribed trails OR be an active member of an association which builds, maintains and/or grooms OFSC prescribed trails which are located in the province of Ontario.

5. 1.1.5.  Have and adhere to a written Health and Safety Policy, approved their individual membership and provide confirmation that the club has initiated a Health and Safety program.

6. 1.1.6.  Have and adhere to a written Alcohol Policy, approved their individual membership.

1.2. BenefitsofClass“A”Membership (Clubs/Chapters/Associations)

OFSC Class “A” Members are entitled to the following member benefits:

1. 1.2.1.  Two (2) votes on each question at any special or general meeting of the membership subject to the provisions and process contained in the OFSC Bylaws.

2. 1.2.2.  Access to sell snowmobile trail permits at the price approved by the provincial government (Ministry of Transportation).

3. 1.2.3.  Participate in the general liability insurance coverage program as well as all other insurance coverages as applicable.

4. 1.2.4.  Participate in current OFSC programs including all internal and external funding as applicable.

2. OFSCClass“B”Membership:LifetimeMemberships

2.1. EligibilityforClass“B”Membership

2.1.2.1.Demonstrated long term and exceptional contribution to the OFSC including but not limited to provincial programs;

2.1.2.2. Long term service on any standing OFSC Committee when that service had measurable impact that contributed significantly towards initiatives of that Committee;

2.1.2.3. Long term service as an OFSC Governor or Executive member when that service had measurable impact that contributed significantly to initiatives of the OFSC Board or organization;

2.1.2.4.Long term service as an OFSC staff member when that service had measurable impact that contributed significantly to the organization and that staff member demonstrated continuous and positive dedication to the OFSC that resulted in better relations between staff and volunteers;

2.1.2.5.A minimum of ten (10) years will be considered to be “long term service”

2.1.3. OFSC Class “B” Members have no voting privileges.

2.2.1. As an OFSC Class “B” Member, an individual is entitle to:

2.2.1.1. Recognition of achievement through the issuance of a certificate and/or plaque

2.2.1.2. Annual issuance of a Social Membership card (at no fee)

2.2.1.3 OFSC member benefits listed annual on the OFSC website (Rider Advantage Program)

3.1. EligibilityforClass“C”Membership (Individual Trail Permit Holders)

1. 3.1.1.  Any individual purchasing a Full Season Trail Permit, and signing the accompanying “OFSC Requirements and Trail Use Information Form” is considered an OFSC Class “C” Member.

2. 3.1.2.  Membership expires annually on May 31st.

3. 3.1.3.  OFSC Class “C” Members have no voting privileges.

3.2. BenefitsofClass“C”Membership

3.2.1. OFSC member benefits listed annual on the OFSC website (Rider Advantage Program)

OFSCClass“D”Membership:SocialMemberships 4.1. EligibilityforClass“D”Membership

4.1.1. Members in good standing of a Class “A” Member Organization that pay an annual membership fee, as established by the OFSC Board, may be granted Class “D” Social Members.

4.1.2. OFSC Class “D” Members have no voting privileges.

4.2. BenefitsofClass“D”Membership

4.2.1. As an OFSC Class “D” Member, an individual is entitle to:
4.2.1.1. Issuance of a Social Membership card
4.2.1.2. OFSC member benefits listed annual on the OFSC website (Rider Advantage Program)

OFSCClass“E”Membership:BusinessMembers 5.1. EligibilityforClass“E”Membership

1. 5.1.1.  Any business or organization that has signed a contract with the OFSC, in accordance with established OFSC policies and procedures approved by the OFSC Board, may be granted Class “E” Membership.

2. 5.1.2.  Class “E” Members shall not be eligible to vote.

32 minutes ago, Big Pete said:

From MPD-002 Membership

1.OFSCClass“A”Membership

1.1. EligibilityforClass“A”Membership

REVISION Issue Date: July 2015

To be eligible for Class “A” Membership with the OFSC, an organization must meet and maintain the following requirements:

1. 1.1.1.  Be a not-for-profit organization (club) incorporated under the laws of the province of Ontario with objectives primarily related to snowmobiling OR be a not for profit association consisting of two or more snowmobile clubs from the same OFSC District with objectives primarily related to snowmobiling.

2. 1.1.2.  Pay the annual member organization fee(s) and any other required fees established by the OFSC Board.

3. 1.1.3.  Sell a minimum of fifty (50) Seasonal and/or Classic snowmobile trail permits annually OR be an active member of an association which sells snowmobile trail permits and who's average sales per club meets the minimum requirements.

4. 1.1.4.  Be directly involved in the building, maintenance and/or grooming of OFSC prescribed trails OR be an active member of an association which builds, maintains and/or grooms OFSC prescribed trails which are located in the province of Ontario.

5. 1.1.5.  Have and adhere to a written Health and Safety Policy, approved their individual membership and provide confirmation that the club has initiated a Health and Safety program.

6. 1.1.6.  Have and adhere to a written Alcohol Policy, approved their individual membership.

1.2. BenefitsofClass“A”Membership (Clubs/Chapters/Associations)

OFSC Class “A” Members are entitled to the following member benefits:

1. 1.2.1.  Two (2) votes on each question at any special or general meeting of the membership subject to the provisions and process contained in the OFSC Bylaws.

2. 1.2.2.  Access to sell snowmobile trail permits at the price approved by the provincial government (Ministry of Transportation).

3. 1.2.3.  Participate in the general liability insurance coverage program as well as all other insurance coverages as applicable.

4. 1.2.4.  Participate in current OFSC programs including all internal and external funding as applicable.

2. OFSCClass“B”Membership:LifetimeMemberships

2.1. EligibilityforClass“B”Membership

2.1.2.1.Demonstrated long term and exceptional contribution to the OFSC including but not limited to provincial programs;

2.1.2.2. Long term service on any standing OFSC Committee when that service had measurable impact that contributed significantly towards initiatives of that Committee;

2.1.2.3. Long term service as an OFSC Governor or Executive member when that service had measurable impact that contributed significantly to initiatives of the OFSC Board or organization;

2.1.2.4.Long term service as an OFSC staff member when that service had measurable impact that contributed significantly to the organization and that staff member demonstrated continuous and positive dedication to the OFSC that resulted in better relations between staff and volunteers;

2.1.2.5.A minimum of ten (10) years will be considered to be “long term service”

2.1.3. OFSC Class “B” Members have no voting privileges.

2.2.1. As an OFSC Class “B” Member, an individual is entitle to:

2.2.1.1. Recognition of achievement through the issuance of a certificate and/or plaque

2.2.1.2. Annual issuance of a Social Membership card (at no fee)

2.2.1.3 OFSC member benefits listed annual on the OFSC website (Rider Advantage Program)

3.1. EligibilityforClass“C”Membership (Individual Trail Permit Holders)

1. 3.1.1.  Any individual purchasing a Full Season Trail Permit, and signing the accompanying “OFSC Requirements and Trail Use Information Form” is considered an OFSC Class “C” Member.

2. 3.1.2.  Membership expires annually on May 31st.

3. 3.1.3.  OFSC Class “C” Members have no voting privileges.

3.2. BenefitsofClass“C”Membership

3.2.1. OFSC member benefits listed annual on the OFSC website (Rider Advantage Program)

OFSCClass“D”Membership:SocialMemberships 4.1. EligibilityforClass“D”Membership

4.1.1. Members in good standing of a Class “A” Member Organization that pay an annual membership fee, as established by the OFSC Board, may be granted Class “D” Social Members.

4.1.2. OFSC Class “D” Members have no voting privileges.

4.2. BenefitsofClass“D”Membership

4.2.1. As an OFSC Class “D” Member, an individual is entitle to:
4.2.1.1. Issuance of a Social Membership card
4.2.1.2. OFSC member benefits listed annual on the OFSC website (Rider Advantage Program)

OFSCClass“E”Membership:BusinessMembers 5.1. EligibilityforClass“E”Membership

1. 5.1.1.  Any business or organization that has signed a contract with the OFSC, in accordance with established OFSC policies and procedures approved by the OFSC Board, may be granted Class “E” Membership.

2. 5.1.2.  Class “E” Members shall not be eligible to vote.

That  should stymie the argument that the permit holder has no business asking questions. However it will not.

I agree there is nothing wrong with permit holders or the general public asking questions, but Class C benefits don't seem to include the right to receive information deemed confidential by the OFSC. The Class C benefits of the Rider Advantage Program seem more like the "rewards" style benefits that any large business, such as a hotel chain, might choose to offer to frequent customers.

3 hours ago, Blake G said:

I agree there is nothing wrong with permit holders or the general public asking questions, but Class C benefits don't seem to include the right to receive information deemed confidential by the OFSC. The Class C benefits of the Rider Advantage Program seem more like the "rewards" style benefits that any large business, such as a hotel chain, might choose to offer to frequent customers.

I do not see anywhere in that description where it includes that. BTW, a club volunteer is a class C member only, it is the club itself that is the class A member.

5 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Here is today's post from our neighbouring Quebec Club.

They mean business tracking down Freeloaders and their QPP fully supports them.

No such law/policy or assistance in Ontario and it shows.

They sure do, and the compliance is proof that it works. i spoke with a couple of young lads today in town, one had a classic on a 97 srx, the other had an ovation with no permit. When I asked about the permit he quickly pulled out his phone and showed me a screen shot of his order for the classic that was processed in today.  It matched his sled and I thanked him for his support of the trail system. Nice well mannered young men out having fun, it was nice to see. I was sure to let them know where they can get those high school volunteer hours.  I would hope the OPP would see that he has paid and not hassle him as long as the rest of his stuff is in order. I would hate to see a young kid just getting into trail riding be soured if that were to happen.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Taking the liberty of bumping this important topic back to the top.

Any report yet on total Trail Permit sales for this season?

How are Districts doing financially?

What is happening at OFSC Head Office personnel wise?

Permit Sales- The PTS system is still down and will not be available to the clubs this season. The rumour is total sales are down in the area of 10-15% which creates some interesting dilemmas. If permit sales are down 10% then Net Rev is also down 10% which means EQ funding at the district/club level would go up by an equal dollar amount. At the same time there is less money going into the EQ fund due to lower permit sales. Go you have a greater demand on the fund at time when there is less going into it. Hummm!!!

the saving grace is (and what the OFSC is counting on) that a big part of the province will not come close to approaching the grooming assumptions made at the start of the year. However should there be any snow in the south (which based on the last few days seems possible) clubs will be out racking up hours to satisfy local riders. There is a real possibility that the EQ fund will not have enough resources to cover all the hours. Yes they have a small reserve but if we have a great end of season it’s not going to be enough. 

No decisions on new hires. Not expected until March BoG meeting at the earliest. (No BoG meeting usually scheduled in Feb). Excom elections to be held at March BoG meeting also. 

1 hour ago, Big Pete said:

Permit Sales- The PTS system is still down and will not be available to the clubs this season. The rumour is total sales are down in the area of 10-15% which creates some interesting dilemmas. If permit sales are down 10% then Net Rev is also down 10% which means EQ funding at the district/club level would go up by an equal dollar amount. At the same time there is less money going into the EQ fund due to lower permit sales. Go you have a greater demand on the fund at time when there is less going into it. Hummm!!!

the saving grace is (and what the OFSC is counting on) that a big part of the province will not come close to approaching the grooming assumptions made at the start of the year. However should there be any snow in the south (which based on the last few days seems possible) clubs will be out racking up hours to satisfy local riders. There is a real possibility that the EQ fund will not have enough resources to cover all the hours. Yes they have a small reserve but if we have a great end of season it’s not going to be enough. 

No decisions on new hires. Not expected until March BoG meeting at the earliest. (No BoG meeting usually scheduled in Feb). Excom elections to be held at March BoG meeting also. 

Just imagine if we did not have two major thaws in January. The funds would be so low that every single club would be bankrupt. It is high time we pressure the government to commit to the return of the 6 million per year we pay in gasoline taxes for fuel put in sleds. It is an election year. Not one word from the OFSC about lobbying, or getting an election promise from those running. 80,000 permit buyers is a lot of votes, and those permit buyers also have spouses that may not ride. A group this large must have some influence in an election year.

The OFSC has got to turn this ship around fast before it hits an iceberg and goes down like the Titanic.

- Complete screwup on the Trail Permit sales this season with huge labour costs sorting out multiple payments, lost permits, etc. plus lost confidence of the members.

- Interactive Trail Guide (ITG) seems like an ongoing disaster, fortunately the delayed season start eased the complaints somewhat.

- Permit Tracking System (PTS) down for the entire season.

- Complete lack of Federal and Provincial financial support indicates OFSC vaunted lobbying is ineffective.  As zoso says, this is an Election year at least get our issues on the radar.

- Multiple key and experienced personnel have left the organization and who knows the cost, both financially and operationally.

- Trail Patrol or Ambassadors) has absolutely zero impact on Freeloaders.

- STOP is gone.

- Risk Management seems to have disappeared as an ongoing OFSC priority.

- What has happened with Groomer Replacement plan that was much too aggressive in eliminating groomers.

- Is the determination that Husky Troopers and Tractors the right move.

- Are Industrial Groomers the only solution or should other alternatives be considered, especially in areas where swamps are an obstacle.

- Big Pete reports that finances may be an issue if the season were to turn around.

- No Board of Governors Meeting in February, the absolute peak of the season!

- Still no replacement for Executive Director.

Welcome your comments or corrections.

Did I miss anything and let’s hear some good news too.

24 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

The OFSC has got to turn this ship around fast before it hits an iceberg and goes down like the Titanic.

- Complete screwup on the Trail Permit sales this season with huge labour costs sorting out multiple payments, lost permits, etc. plus lost confidence of the members.

- Interactive Trail Guide (ITG) seems like an ongoing disaster, fortunately the delayed season start eased the complaints somewhat.

- Permit Tracking System (PTS) down for the entire season.

- Complete lack of Federal and Provincial financial support indicates OFSC vaunted lobbying is ineffective.  As zoso says, this is an Election year at least get our issues on the radar.

- Multiple key and experienced personnel have left the organization and who knows the cost, both financially and operationally.

- Trail Patrol or Ambassadors) has absolutely zero impact on Freeloaders.

- STOP is gone.

- Risk Management seems to have disappeared as an ongoing OFSC priority.

- What has happened with Groomer Replacement plan that was much too aggressive in eliminating groomers.

- Is the determination that Husky Troopers and Tractors the right move.

- Are Industrial Groomers the only solution or should other alternatives be considered, especially in areas where swamps are an obstacle.

- Big Pete reports that finances may be an issue if the season were to turn around.

- No Board of Governors Meeting in February, the absolute peak of the season!

- Still no replacement for Executive Director.

Welcome your comments or corrections.

Did I miss anything and let’s hear some good news too.

Brian, I've been using the ITG a lot lately and have gotten to know how to get what I need from it. It still has a few things that could work easier but its doing the job for me. I think the learning curve for users is steeper than it could have been but it is going to be a keeper. 2 simple things that took me a while to remember was unchecking the Trail Staus box and the power of zooming in on an area to get real detail and proximity at street view to various shown businesses on the base map as well as services you picked

12 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

That is good news indeed as the regular snowmobiler doesn’t concern themselves with the other issues I identified but having an easily usable, informative an up to date ITG is an absolute necessity.

Thanks for posting your experience.

I just rode a bunch of closed trails that are groomed.....are they closed, or is the ITG wrong, who knows, who cares?

Archived