Who's riding today

dedge68

I have the day off. And my sled buds are working

Im in Alliston i can trailer to barrie or sheburne area

6 minutes ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

I'm assuming you meant Shelburne?  Any word on the actual conditions?  Map shows limited availability.

Not sure i just check the map too .  I haven't been over that way this year

2 hours ago, dedge68 said:

Not sure i just check the map too .  I haven't been over that way this year

Barrie is ok any where near the lake on the west side is good too, as you head east snow amounts taper off. Blake said it is good in area and some trails should be green. 

Went to the Ganaraska forest this morning. Stones coming thru and bumpy in spots. A few more inches of snow and it will be great. Used new hand muffs for first time. They work great, fingers never got cold at -15.

Riding the trails around Rice Lake!

20171229_144045.jpg

20171229_144055.jpg

Soon as I drink my coffee and thaw my sled out, I'm going for a ride.

25 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Riding the trails around Rice Lake!

20171229_144045.jpg

20171229_144055.jpg

Rice lake isn't frozen yet.

27 minutes ago, thetorches said:

Rice lake isn't frozen yet.

It is where I am (7-10 in) in the bay

a couple of nieghbours have run across it a few times , and lived to tell about it

Trail from Ingersoll to Tillsoburg is a little rough but has been groomed a couple of times. Snow is better from Tillsonburg and south, may be worth the extra time in the vehicle 

4 minutes ago, 3dogs said:

Trail from Ingersoll to Tillsoburg is a little rough but has been groomed a couple of times. Snow is better from Tillsonburg and south, may be worth the extra time in the vehicle 

Where's a good place to stage?

I’m trying to think of a spot you could leave a truck and trailer close to the trail. Lockharts skidoo has a small unmarked feeder trail from their parking lot to the main trail and they would probably let you leave a truck and trailer for the day. Try giving them a call, it’s Brad or Kim that owns it and are usually there on a Saturday 

32 minutes ago, 3dogs said:

I’m trying to think of a spot you could leave a truck and trailer close to the trail. Lockharts skidoo has a small unmarked feeder trail from their parking lot to the main trail and they would probably let you leave a truck and trailer for the day. Try giving them a call, it’s Brad or Kim that owns it and are usually there on a Saturday 

Great advice!  I just called them and they're okay with me unloading there in the afternoon when the parking lot is empty.  Hoping to get there around 1pm for my first ride 'ever' in Ontario.  Thanks.

let us know what you think,snow conditions etc,enjoy .

There’s a warm up shack about 5 miles south of Lockharts called the kiln. It’s an old tobacco kiln that’s been converted. Very popular spot to stop and warm up. Will be lots of sleds there today

3 hours ago, wrightonalan said:

let us know what you think,snow conditions etc,enjoy .

Heading north to Durham would lead to better trails and less traffic I would think. Base in south is very thin I have been hearing with some bare fields From high traffic volumes. Snow is fine every where at moment, so getting a base that stands up to traffic seems difficult at the moment

So, we finally made it out today for our first family trip.  We unloaded at Lockharts near Tilsonburg and headed south.  I didn't pay much attention to how far we went but it was close to a two hour trip.  If you were on the trail you surely would have recognized my setup LOL.  It was a cold day but we all survived no problem.  After all, the best part about snowmobiling is often the thaw when you get home - hot chocolate and coffee.

The trail conditions were actually pretty good all things considered.  There was a lot of 'brown' snow when we left Lockharts but the further we went south the better it was.  There was still corn peeping through the snow in some places however.  The groomer was out but I don't think he was really improving the trails; there just wasn't enough snow for that.  Great to see a lot of people out today.  Probably counted 50 or more sleds.

All in all, great start to the season.  Happy trails!

First Ski-Doo trip 2017.jpg

9 minutes ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

So, we finally made it out today for our first family trip.  We unloaded at Lockharts near Tilsonburg and headed south.  I didn't pay much attention to how far we went but it was close to a two hour trip.  If you were on the trail you surely would have recognized my setup LOL.  It was a cold day but we all survived no problem.  After all, the best part about snowmobiling is often the thaw when you get home - hot chocolate and coffee.

The trail conditions were actually pretty good all things considered.  There was a lot of 'brown' snow when we left Lockharts but the further we went south the better it was.  There was still corn peeping through the snow in some places however.  The groomer was out but I don't think he was really improving the trails; there just wasn't enough snow for that.  Great to see a lot of people out today.  Probably counted 50 or more sleds.

All in all, great start to the season.  Happy trails!

First Ski-Doo trip 2017.jpg

That must be quite the ride in that caboose, when you get her up to 80 mph.

I think we saw you in front of the warm up shack by courtland. There was a dog in the caboose with the kid(s)

12 minutes ago, 3dogs said:

I think we saw you in front of the warm up shack by courtland. There was a dog in the caboose with the kid(s)

Yep, we stopped in front of the Kiln to check on them.  Our Boston Terrier was thrown around a few times but he loves to travel so he has to put up with some 'inconveniences' LOL.

Archived