Merry Christmas and Hello I'm..

Wyatt

Hi there,

Super excited to see snow out there finally in Orillia! I recently purchased my first sled, a used 2010 Arctic Cat Sno Pro 500 and trailer. Very excited to get going on this and have spent an embarrassing amount of time watching Youtube videos and reading up all the proper etiquette and other tips on the forums. I've lived in Orillia all of my relatively short (early 20s) life, love the outdoors, baseball, fishing, and cars! 

If anyone has some tips on where I might find people to ride with (no one I know also has sleds :( ) that would be much appreciated! 

Wyatt

2 hours ago, Wyatt said:

Hi there,

Super excited to see snow out there finally in Orillia! I recently purchased my first sled, a used 2010 Arctic Cat Sno Pro 500 and trailer. Very excited to get going on this and have spent an embarrassing amount of time watching Youtube videos and reading up all the proper etiquette and other tips on the forums. I've lived in Orillia all of my relatively short (early 20s) life, love the outdoors, baseball, fishing, and cars! 

If anyone has some tips on where I might find people to ride with (no one I know also has sleds :( ) that would be much appreciated! 

Wyatt

Welcome to the forum Wyatt,  congrats on your new to you Sled!  There are a bunch of people here from Orilla area.  Unfortunately i am up in the Parry Sound area, but if your up here let me know....keep in mind you would need a permit to be able to ride the OFSC trails.....

Welcome to the forum Wyatt. Lots of help here with issues and information.

Welcome to the forum Wyatt and great to see newcomers enjoying the sport. There is a great group on here and you will find quite often posts about upcoming rides, I am in Gravenhurst just north of you. If you ever need someone to ride with just let me know. We have made some great friends on this site and had lots of great laughs and rides.

Nunz

Welcome to the forum.... it's always almost surprising that someone living in prime snowmobiling territory (Orillia) hasn't been a snowmobiler and their friends aren't. My default thought would be that like skating this is something you just do. When I was a kid if you were Canadian you learned to skate just after you learned to walk. Oh well. Lots of opportunities to ride around Orillia. You can run up Couchiching to near the top end and get on an old rail bed trail that will take you to Coldwater. There are so many options. I would suggest you reach out to the Orillia District Snowmobile Club. Volunteering for the local club is a great way to meet snowmobilers or even just attend a meeting. I am sure they would love to have you. You also don't need to have a lot of time available. Most clubs are happy to get whatever time anyone can spare even if it's only a couple of hours.

https://www.sledorillia.com/index.php/odsc/contact-us/

9 hours ago, snowman said:

Welcome to the forum Wyatt,  congrats on your new to you Sled!  There are a bunch of people here from Orilla area.  Unfortunately i am up in the Parry Sound area, but if your up here let me know....keep in mind you would need a permit to be able to ride the OFSC trails.....

Thanks Snowman - will definitely hit you up when I make my way up there! I just ordered my trail permit today so hopefully it comes soon!

5 hours ago, Nunz said:

Welcome to the forum Wyatt and great to see newcomers enjoying the sport. There is a great group on here and you will find quite often posts about upcoming rides, I am in Gravenhurst just north of you. If you ever need someone to ride with just let me know. We have made some great friends on this site and had lots of great laughs and rides.

Nunz

Nunz, thanks for the info. Can't wait to meet up with some folks from here - you guys all seem like quite the knowledgeable & fun group!

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Welcome to the forum.... it's always almost surprising that someone living in prime snowmobiling territory (Orillia) hasn't been a snowmobiler and their friends aren't. My default thought would be that like skating this is something you just do. When I was a kid if you were Canadian you learned to skate just after you learned to walk. Oh well. Lots of opportunities to ride around Orillia. You can run up Couchiching to near the top end and get on an old rail bed trail that will take you to Coldwater. There are so many options. I would suggest you reach out to the Orillia District Snowmobile Club. Volunteering for the local club is a great way to meet snowmobilers or even just attend a meeting. I am sure they would love to have you. You also don't need to have a lot of time available. Most clubs are happy to get whatever time anyone can spare even if it's only a couple of hours.

https://www.sledorillia.com/index.php/odsc/contact-us/

It's funny - believe it or not, if you aren't exposed to sledding you just don't think about it. I always just figured all the sleds crossing the roads were people from out of town!

I hit up Royal Distribution today on my lunch hour -> boy was it busy! I counted 40 people deep in line. I got all geared up though so once my permit arrives I'm good to go!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Wyatt

Archived