Rolphton (Rapides des Joachims)- Val D'or

signfan

What are the chances of the trails between the two towns on the Quebec side being opened and in good shape by the weekend of the 16th of January?    Also would things be opened from New Liskeard to Temagami and then out to Temiskaming by then?  I know it's a crap shoot, but just wondering what everyone has seen in the past traditionally.  Looking at a three day loop and thought this would be a good ride for January.  Mostly Quebec running, but would hop back into Ontario to avoid running railbed north of Temiskaming.  

Were showing nothing but -10 to -20 from now for the next 14 days with 2 decent weather systems of snow to hit the valley i would expect the Missing link and the North Renfrew clubs will be busy grooming between Xmas and new year's should be a solid base long as there's no surprises in early Jan you should have a good ride.

29 minutes ago, signfan said:

What are the chances of the trails between the two towns on the Quebec side being opened and in good shape by the weekend of the 16th of January?    Also would things be opened from New Liskeard to Temagami and then out to Temiskaming by then?  I know it's a crap shoot, but just wondering what everyone has seen in the past traditionally.  Looking at a three day loop and thought this would be a good ride for January.  Mostly Quebec running, but would hop back into Ontario to avoid running railbed north of Temiskaming.  

Hey Signfan, I've looked at doing a similar trip a couple of different times. Would you mind showing us your proposed itinerary?

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Hey Signfan, I've looked at doing a similar trip a couple of different times. Would you mind showing us your proposed itinerary?

Basically 43 - 386 - 63 - 386 - 83 for day one.  Puts us in Val D'or starting at Rolphton.  May stage in Deep River or Petawawa.  Will be a big first day.  Roughly 400 km.  I read that there is one gas stop in here that is cash only????

309 - 63 - A107Q - A puts us in Martin River area for night 2.  Similar 400 km day.

A - A102Q - 63 - 43 puts us back in Rolphton.  Closer to 300 km.  No gas for 130 miles from Temiskaming to Rolphton which I think is ok, but something to consider.

Three big days, but should be a good trip.  My concern is I have no idea what the Quebec trails are like.  Reputation tells me they are good, but the entire route is new to me with the exception of the trails between north bay and new Liskeard.  I've ridden both sides of the border in that area.  I know Temagami is usually later getting the A trail open and the pipeline to Temiskaming seems to be last priority for the North Bay club.   So not sure if this is doable this early in January or not.  Appreciate any feedback on the route / what the trails are like on it, etc.

This is my first post, the trail between Rolphton and Quebec is a lot of road running with a steel grated bridge crossing that is aweful

Last year we staged from a lodge out of Rapides des Joachims, trail from there is awesome, 180 kms to gas, I would recommend starting from here.

I forget the name of the lodge but can look it up, you can park there for a small fee

The place we staged is Dumoine Valley Guides, they are on Quebec interactive guide, One of the nicest places I've stayed, you have a three bedroom cottage to yourself and they cook your meals

If you stay there you can park there, they will know if the groomer is active

There is 1 groomer assigned to go from there north and it takes him 4 days to do it up and back, staying one night in a hunt camp half way. Second night is where you get gas at around 180 km

It is almost a secret little area, just come up on it myself a coupe years ago.  Shh!

1 hour ago, signfan said:

Basically 43 - 386 - 63 - 386 - 83 for day one.  Puts us in Val D'or starting at Rolphton.  May stage in Deep River or Petawawa.  Will be a big first day.  Roughly 400 km.  I read that there is one gas stop in here that is cash only????

309 - 63 - A107Q - A puts us in Martin River area for night 2.  Similar 400 km day.

A - A102Q - 63 - 43 puts us back in Rolphton.  Closer to 300 km.  No gas for 130 miles from Temiskaming to Rolphton which I think is ok, but something to consider.

Three big days, but should be a good trip.  My concern is I have no idea what the Quebec trails are like.  Reputation tells me they are good, but the entire route is new to me with the exception of the trails between north bay and new Liskeard.  I've ridden both sides of the border in that area.  I know Temagami is usually later getting the A trail open and the pipeline to Temiskaming seems to be last priority for the North Bay club.   So not sure if this is doable this early in January or not.  Appreciate any feedback on the route / what the trails are like on it, etc.

WOW! That is a guttsy trip plan. We have ridden from Val D'or to Adventure Joncas (when it was open) via 83 ,386 & 63 west and thought that was a good day. There was fuel  about 90 km (I think)north of 63 and was cash only but that was 8 years or more ago so not sure if its still there. It was at a guys house or camp along the trail. If it is the only fuel stop that you indicated then its well more than 130 miles.  It looks like Pavillon De Verendrye  (right at 63) has fuel according to the Quebec map. From 63 to Val D'or  is good trail and fairly quick with fuel and food available in Louvricourt.

309 always seemed like a slow work for your miles trail to me. It would be cool if you could ride the lake over to Hailebury from Ville Marie but would shorten your km's for the day .

I agree that the trail to Temiskaming from the A is usually late getting open but the NB club only groomed it to the river last year  & had a deal with the Temiscaming club to groom the last part to the border. It didn't receive much if any attention. 

43 is a trail I have always wanted to ride but the distance without fuel is an issue for my group.

Good luck with your endeavor. Hope it works out for you and you get a good ride. Look forward to a trip report on here when you get back.

12 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

It would be cool if you could ride the lake over to Hailebury from Ville Marie but would shorten your km's for the day .

I crossed the lake there at the south end, its not marked at all. I am not crossing there again.

There is a local trail on the Quebec side that comes onto a bay directly across from Hailebury and north of Ville Marie.

Thats where we crossed no stake line or markers , we ran into a maze of pressure cracks had a hard time getting across them , we found out latter that we should have crossed on the island (lle Mann)  to avoid the pressure cracks. 

The hydro dam  is about 20 km south of there , there also is a large hydro dam at the north end of the lake near Notre Dame du Nord  with a lot of water flow .

15 hours ago, signfan said:

I have taken this route many times from North Bay , takes about 10 hours . I am planning a trip similar to your route and will be interested to hear about your trip along trail 43 and 386 

As of today the Missing Link system is NOT open. Statement says they need more snow before any grooming can even begin. It is a very rugged area and snow depth is extremely important in that area.

Good news is that more snow is forecast next ween and temps are well below freezing.

It won't be much longer until we can enjoy that area.

7 hours ago, zoso said:

In case you are not aware, the free QC weekend is Jan 20-21 this season. If you can push your trip back a week you could ride free.

Feb 3rd and 4th

7 hours ago, zoso said:

In case you are not aware, the free QC weekend is Jan 20-21 this season. If you can push your trip back a week you could ride free.

Good tip.  I have other plans that weekend though.  To be honest I figured that was a weekend to avoid running in the province.  If it's anything like the Ontario freebie trails will be trashed.

That rail line runs through some rock cuts and alone shore line  not to shabby our group looks forward to that ride .

Archived