Try Our Trails

02Sled

I'm sure many know already but just in case.... The dates for the Try Our Trails program have changed. No longer is it the Family Day Weekend. This year Try Our Trails will be a two day event on February 3rd and 4th.

That's two weeks before Family Day which this year is Monday February 19th.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the heads up.  I hadn't heard of the date change!

Last year absolutely was warm and was pretty much the end for southern ontario.  Yes the year before was crazy cold I had a screen shot of minus 51. I Remember parking the sled and drinking beer in a t shirt on the dock last year  lol

8 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

Glad to hear they changed the dates. Hopefully it will take some pressure off the groomer operators on family day weekend.

My guess is there will be a lot of people riding without permits on the Family Day weekend claiming they didn't know that the dates had changed and as usual they didn't know they needed a permit for the free weekend either. Essentially two weekends of free loaders.

5 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

My guess is there will be a lot of people riding without permits on the Family Day weekend claiming they didn't know that the dates had changed and as usual they didn't know they needed a permit for the free weekend either. Essentially two weekends of free loaders.

This statement is probably what will happen 02 .:lol:

23 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Good time to see some enforcement out then!!!  Hopefully!!

32 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

My guess is 02 spends too much time thinking about every possible negative outcome 

7 minutes ago, coolbane said:

My guess is 02 spends too much time thinking about every possible negative outcome 

Just a realist who already knows that even though you are supposed to go online and print a free permit for the Try Our Trails program lots and I mean lots claim ignorance of the need and just ride regardless.

10 minutes ago, coolbane said:

No i don't think so.  Speaks from experience, and its hard not to when freeloaders are everywhere and that would be a great weekend to plead ignorance.

Many Try Our Trails people did make the effort to register and print the paper permit and I think a good percentage of those would not likely venture out without a valid but FreeTrail Permit.

I think this move is long overdue, hopefully we can totally get rid of it in the next few years.

30 minutes ago, gobills said:

No i don't think so.  Speaks from experience, and its hard not to when freeloaders are everywhere and that would be a great weekend to plead ignorance.

Plead ignorance to WHO?

Trail Patrol is virtually toothless, STOP is dead and OPP are few and far between.

Should be the only weekend for my neighbour to ride the trails. I just bumped into his sleds at a local shop and both had 2013 permits on them . He has had them for three years . Farging Icehole that he is.

7 hours ago, gobills said:

Yaaaaaaaa.  Lol.  They listened.   That's also superbowl weekend.

Hmmm, I wonder if that was taken into account :)

I usually am out that weekend riding and the traffic seems lighter as a result of it!

3 hours ago, gobills said:

Good time to see some enforcement out then!!!  Hopefully!!

As mentioned, it seems to not be as great a presence as before, perhaps with the deaths last year, that I think was a higher number than usual, that will change.....here is hoping the officers patrolling the trail road crossings in their cruisers, are checking for the actual PERMIT and not just licence, ins & ownership..... 

2 hours ago, gobills said:

IDK, some seem to focus on the negative a little too much, it really is an easy thing to do & consumes many peoples lives.

There are a lot of good people that ride, I would say a lot more good than bad.....there will always be the bad apples in anything you do, but don't let them put your focus in the wrong spots. 

2 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Many Try Our Trails people did make the effort to register and print the paper permit and I think a good percentage of those would not likely venture out without a valid but FreeTrail Permit.

I think this move is long overdue, hopefully we can totally get rid of it in the next few years.

Maybe it is a regional thing, but I agree, I noticed lots of the paper permits displayed in the past.

With a few years under the belt now, surely there is data to support either continuing with it or putting an end to it.

Good, last year the trails were completely trash in the south as I’m sure they were everywhere else. This should definitely lighten the load. 

Thats good they did it on the Super Bowl weekend as I’m sure many will just stay home to get ready for entertaining.

I cant stand football...just thought I’d throw that in there lol

I love Super Bowl weekend. The trails tend to have a lot less people on them. Much better riding conditions for me.

15 hours ago, pt3189 said:

Should be the only weekend for my neighbour to ride the trails. I just bumped into his sleds at a local shop and both had 2013 permits on them . He has had them for three years . Farging Icehole that he is.

I thought the quote was from a Cheech & Chong movie?

I am part of a hunt camp near Restoule where the trail runs through our property.  There are a few of us that have sleds, but none of us are trail riders.  We all sign up for the free weekend as the Family day long weekend is the only time we all head up to the camp in the winter for a little fun.  Every year I have a harder time talking the members into keeping the trail open.  I wonder how its going to go over this year when we as land owners hosting the trail, are not allowed to ride it.  I fully understand the concerns from members here and why they did not like the free weekend to fall on the long weekend.  That being said, this might be the straw that broke the camels back on allowing access to our property.  

18 minutes ago, Guy JR said:

I am part of a hunt camp near Restoule where the trail runs through our property.  There are a few of us that have sleds, but none of us are trail riders.  We all sign up for the free weekend as the Family day long weekend is the only time we all head up to the camp in the winter for a little fun.  Every year I have a harder time talking the members into keeping the trail open.  I wonder how its going to go over this year when we as land owners hosting the trail, are not allowed to ride it.  I fully understand the concerns from members here and why they did not like the free weekend to fall on the long weekend.  That being said, this might be the straw that broke the camels back on allowing access to our property.  

You can always ride the portion that is on your property at any time without a permit. It's your property.

Respectfully, the Family Day weekend has only been around since 2008. The Try Our Trails program has only been available since 2011. What did you do before 2011? Where do those of you that do have sleds ride them the rest of the time?

Just asking since looking from outside it doesn't seem that much of an impact to not ride the adjoining trails.  

But most importantly... THANK YOU TO YOU AND YOUR FRIENDS FOR ALLOWING THE TRAIL TO CROSS YOUR PROPERTY. IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED by myself and so many others.

There is also the option to buy the daily permits and ride all of the adjoining trails. As generous land owners I am sure you appreciate that there is liability insurance extended to both the OFSC and yourself to protect everyone. That is where part of the trail permit fees go.  

4 hours ago, Baylaker said:

I cant stand football...just thought I’d throw that in there lol

Me either.  Nor do most people around here.  Any excuse works for me for going for a ride though .... :D

3 hours ago, Guy JR said:

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

You can always ride the portion that is on your property at any time without a permit. It's your property.

I don't see where the issue is, other than possibly looking to ride the area trails not on your property, without a permit.

Your example I believe is quite common now a days, folks who have grown tired of lending their land for the sport or have started to expect something in lieu of it, but there is nothing to offer given the current OFSC model....which is perhaps partially why it is leading to more closed trails on private land, plus the complete lack of respect that few in the sport do show to property owners.

It is your land and your right to close, I do not think anyone will argue that, it is just unfortunate that some of the trails are being closed due to the owners desire to offer the land for our use, is no longer there or they want something in return perhaps now for it or ........

On this topic, is there actually anything that the clubs/OFSC can and currently do give to property owners, for allowing their land to be used?

Are property owners that allow their land for sledding get a property tax break, similar to a person that allows their land to be farmed? 

I hope your group does not put a stop to your property use for sledders, but at the end of the day, it is your group that has the final say.

Archived