BruteMan

Gidday Gidday

I am a new member to both the forum and the trails here around Arnprior. Picked up the Bug when i was out with friends on a loaner Arctic Cat T660 last year for a few club events and it stuck. Last time i was on a sled before that was the family owned 12.3 and Sno-Jet we used for the fishing business working in the bush in the 80's 

Since then I picked up a pretty well maintained if older 2005 RS Vector and have been preparing it for the season along with volunteering at the Local clubs here. Planning to do some long trips including the R.A.P. this season and to get up around Thunder bay - Dryden if possible this season as i spent a solid 13 years working in that area and I know the snow there can be very good every season.

I am curious to any who also have run the far north I see there's no connecting trails on the official map between Marathon - Thunderbay - Geraldton is there anything connecting up there by private clubs or otherwise? It would be a dream to do the cross ontario trip and end up in Kenora. 

Anyway this is me thats what im looking forward to and would love to help / ride with any other touring folks coming thru the Ottawa Valley.

Regards,

Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for some north riding,  inquire if there are still guides to go to Mooseone.  Eight of us did this trip with Extreme Tours in 2009.  Stayed two nights in William Tozer's camp in Onakwana and rode the rail clearing and the Moose river to Moosonee and back.  I don't know if that is available anymore.  I know there are guys that do it and must be friends with Tozer to get gas.

http://www.extremetourscochrane.net/

BP

Welcome to the forum BruteMan. Lots of good information / fun / good people on here.  That Vector should be a great sled for you. Make sure you have checked the exhaust donuts so they don't do damage to the pipes. Easy to check without tearing it apart.

To my knowledge there is no private or public trails connecting to Thunder Bay. There hasn't been any into T. Bay from the east for years.

Lots on info on this forum on places to stay and fuel on your RAP Tour. Just type RAP in the search box at the top of the page and you will be amazed at how much info. there is.

Hope you have a great winter riding in Ontario. 

Thx for the welcome yea the Vector was a good buy the prev owner had it into the shop and back the day I viewed it spent $700 in shop costs provided me with the invoices for all work done to it in the past 2 years been well looked after. it recently replaced new sliders checked doughnuts repaired a exhaust leak and bolt did all that and didn't ask to change his advertized price after knowing it would be my first sled. Top rate folks in this community.

I followed it up with my own check at the Yamaha Dealer as well and it got a clean bill of health may need carbides soon but they recommended doing those closer to start of feb.

Now trying to plan some big trips attempting to figure out saddlebag/storage on this little guy will be challenging along with standard first aid / tools etc. for the longer rides. without slinging a 25lbs backpack on :)

Welcome to the forum.

If looking for saddle bags, you can't go wrong with CYT ( http://www.cytnorth.ca/snow-gear/ ).  I have used them for years and usually use them for Sno Bunge, tow straps, tools, etc that are always on the sled.  There was also a Yamaha Rack that fit well (P/N SMA-8FPRR-RA-CK ).  It is discontinued, but you might find one 'in the wild'.  Be aware that it has a stated load limit of 15 Lbs!  but I have carried at least three times that weight on it.  That rack was used on my 2007 Vector and also my 2012 Vector.

Good luck and have a great 'first' winter back. 

11 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Welcome to the forum.

If looking for saddle bags, you can't go wrong with CYT ( http://www.cytnorth.ca/snow-gear/ ).  I have used them for years and usually use them for Sno Bunge, tow straps, tools, etc that are always on the sled.  There was also a Yamaha Rack that fit well (P/N SMA-8FPRR-RA-CK ).  It is discontinued, but you might find one 'in the wild'.  Be aware that it has a stated load limit of 15 Lbs!  but I have carried at least three times that weight on it.  That rack was used on my 2007 Vector and also my 2012 Vector.

Good luck and have a great 'first' winter back. 

I just gave one of those racks to a fellow from our club who has an 07 Vector and just started saddle bagging last winter. It worked great for me with my fully loaded Coldwave bag on top (30 lb. approx.)5a342426421d4_backuppictures825.thumb.JPG.5733fee81358d6c50d6ba164c8119c8a.JPG

Arnprior!

See ya at the truck stop!

FYI Looks like as most towns here in the Valley the OFSC map needs updating the TOP A is going right through arnprior and a few other towns on the railbed this year the Truckstop is a dead end branch just for access and fuel coming from the East i believe and across the hydro dam. when you leave you'll have to go back that way to get to TOP A

I find trail maps in my area are more, shall we say, nostalgia based, and well kept local secrets.

I found myself atop the dam last year, and then at the truck stop, 1st time I was in since it was actually located in Antrim! 

P.S. apparently, we're not supposed to post pics from atop the dam.  Or they'll close it. Now THAT would be a re-route...

Yea nothing off the actual dam there's plenty of lookouts around that dam for great shots.

Congrats.  Be careful with that bug, they are known to spread.

Archived