Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of.....

traNsplantEdneWFie

Well no, I'm not wealthy and as you can tell I stole that line from the Stones.

Hello everyone!  I was born and raised in rural Newfoundland and moved to Ontario when I was 24.  I grew up on Ski-Doo Elan's and then an Arctic Cat 440 among other toys my dad owned like motorcycles and trikes.  I just purchased my first 'Ontario' sled, a 2015 Ski-Doo Grand Touring 1200 SE and I'm very eager to get started.  I have a wife, two kids and a small dog, so I also purchased a SnowCoach to tow along.  We have a trip booked over Christmas as our first official winter vacation to get away to Bracebridge since I can't rely on great sledding here in Kitchener.

So, I look forward to learning from you all about the places to go, things to see, conditions and more.

Regards,

traNsplantEdneWFie

Welcome aboard, Newfie Newbie. LOL

There's a very good chance most trails will NOT open in Bracebridge over Christmas.....based on what I've seen the past few years......

Welcome to the forum. great group on here.

At this point it sounds like Wasaga/Collingwood area will likely have some trails opening soon. Haliburton Forest is opening this weekend. I know the Kearney area is hoping to have some trails open around Christmas as well.

Hope this helps.

14 minutes ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

I'll keep my eye on that very closely.  That's why I opted for 'hotel cancellation'.

How far north do you think I would need to go to be "guaranteed" to have open trails?

Cochrane is still a maybe. However there may be some limited availability around southern Georgian Bay for this weekend. As of yesterday the Wasaga beach midland Penetang area had 5 groomers out packing. Most of Muskoka has a lot of rock and wet swampy areas to contend with

Welcome aboard TN,

Keep your eye here for trail opening and closures.  You'll find that many on here know before the Maps show trail status. 

As for Haliburton Forest, it is a private trail system and often embellishes trail conditions.  You've been warned, avoid disappointment.

There are also many of our Members that are from the Kitchener/Waterloo greater area as this forums roots came from New Dundee.  I'm sure you'll find lots of riders in your area, plus Muskoka if that is where you choose to ride.

Domino

2 hours ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

I'll keep my eye on that very closely.  That's why I opted for 'hotel cancellation'.

How far north do you think I would need to go to be "guaranteed" to have open trails?

I plan to ride next week. I am farmer that lives west of Kitchener. If you want to go for a farm tourer one evening on private land, let me know. My neighbours are sledders too so can go a good ways. I have two grand touring skidoo' too. I could use a hand packing my access trail too. 

6 hours ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

It is impossible to predict trail conditions in advance with certainty. One warm week with plus 6 and rain can cause a set back pretty well anywhere. This site, the ITG, and the weather forecast need to be consulted almost continuously to see what's happening.

schmied has tracked and graphed the "kilometres of open trail" for the past two seasons. You can see the amount of variability:

schmied.jpg

8 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

I plan to ride next week. I am farmer that lives west of Kitchener. If you want to go for a farm tourer one evening on private land, let me know. My neighbours are sledders too so can go a good ways. I have two grand touring skidoo' too. I could use a hand packing my access trail too. 

Welcome. If I were you.... I’d take V up on his offer! Haha. Running a sled early season in the south has its perks. Less chance of unpredictable damage down here because of the naturally tougher terrain from Barrie- north. There’s always a chance of bending carbides anywhere anytime but it’s mostly farm land around here which means it’s just frozen dirt for the most part. Less swamps etc that need to freeze as well. There will be esp trails opening in many places soon enough as well. Just sayin. Wherever you go, enjoy your ride! 

i bet we will start to see D9 go yellow later next week, especially if 20 cm does arrive like that are saying for later next week. 

6 hours ago, Blake G said:

It is impossible to predict trail conditions in advance with certainty. One warm week with plus 6 and rain can cause a set back pretty well anywhere. This site, the ITG, and the weather forecast need to be consulted almost continuously to see what's happening.

schmied has tracked and graphed the "kilometres of open trail" for the past two seasons. You can see the amount of variability:

schmied.jpg

Im thinking this will be a great year and we can hit the 30000 km mark!!!

13 hours ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

Well no, I'm not wealthy and as you can tell I stole that line from the Stones.

Hello everyone!  I was born and raised in rural Newfoundland and moved to Ontario when I was 24.  I grew up on Ski-Doo Elan's and then an Arctic Cat 440 among other toys my dad owned like motorcycles and trikes.  I just purchased my first 'Ontario' sled, a 2015 Ski-Doo Grand Touring 1200 SE and I'm very eager to get started.  I have a wife, two kids and a small dog, so I also purchased a SnowCoach to tow along.  We have a trip booked over Christmas as our first official winter vacation to get away to Bracebridge since I can't rely on great sledding here in Kitchener.

So, I look forward to learning from you all about the places to go, things to see, conditions and more.

Regards,

traNsplantEdneWFie

welcome to the forum.  go leafs go

20 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

That would be awesome!  I should be available any evening.  Just let me know when and where and we can meet up.  Thanks.

With regards to our Christmas trip in Bracebridge, I've booked the hotel from Jan 1-5 and with the way things are going, it might work out.  If not, I'll look for somewhere else.

8 hours ago, traNsplantEdneWFie said:

That would be awesome!  I should be available any evening.  Just let me know when and where and we can meet up.  Thanks.

With regards to our Christmas trip in Bracebridge, I've booked the hotel from Jan 1-5 and with the way things are going, it might work out.  If not, I'll look for somewhere else.

We need more snow before riding can start. Hopefully next week. Maybe you can bring that caboose over during holidays, my niece and newphew will be around. Could bring your family too. Be interested in seeing how that works, we have some smooth soybean fields that are now empty and dormant, perfect for toying that around. 

Bracebridge should be ok if D trail north of town is open again. Not sure if there is land owner issues there again or not. Should look into that. I usually like to go farther north to say Kearney or Mattawa, but either way it is a high traffic zone during holiday's and most side trails aren't open that early in season, leading to high traffic on main ones. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wind was our enemy today. Blew fields pretty much bare. Not even sure where all the snow went. Frustrating. 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

Wind was our enemy today. Blew fields pretty much bare. Not even sure where all the snow went. Frustrating. 

in my driveway, had to shovel 4 times today already:o

1 hour ago, ToSlow said:

in my driveway, had to shovel 4 times today already:o

shovel don't you have a V8 snow blower? 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum, by this time (hopefully) you have got some km under the Skidoo GT SE, we too have the same model though a 2011. Loving it. Enjoy!

Archived