What’s going on in D5/9

FrostyTheSnowman

Frosty, I live near Milverton,  We have about the same amount as snow as you do.  I just came home from Hamilton this morning  Maybe a little more, but not a lot.  I think closer to the Lake is better.

2 hours ago, Dave K said:

Frosty, I live near Milverton,  We have about the same amount as snow as you do.  I just came home from Hamilton this morning  Maybe a little more, but not a lot.  I think closer to the Lake is better.

I see some fields around me still have corn in them. Trail is staked to corn field and then stops. Hooefully this isn't trend all over both districts. Baden has a top trail cut off from new Dundee at moment, because of corn still on across from ok tire. 

At least it’s a promising start for the south this year. We have cold and the lake effect is doing it’s job. Thanks for the ones who do the work to give us trails on all the private property. Cheers!

Curious... if the corn's still in the field this late and it gets buried in snow will they even be able to clear the field.

10 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Curious... if the corn's still in the field this late and it gets buried in snow will they even be able to clear the field.

Sometimes they wait for frost in the ground to pull it off. I've seen them harvest in January in the past. Sometimes they just leave it and the club will knock a trail through the corn.

Just waiting on 2 corn fields to get plowed and I can finish my section of St. Clements trail. I think there is only one other field to finish (when it gets plowed)otherwise St.Clements has it all staked. Maybe a few signs to finish up but in pretty good shape for a late fall.

Just finished up our section of Glencoe trails today ground getting hard where there's no snow nice to be done

17 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Can still take it off providing the snow level is below cobs and there is no snow stuck to stalks. Usually takes a sunny day, followed by a cold night to harvest it and no snow falling either, while working.  Snow screws up combine sorter screens, that clean corn as it flows thru. If screens get wet, all crap from cobs sticks and doesn't clean grain well, since screens get plugged up and air doesn't flow to clean excess cob material from kernels. 

17 hours ago, winterules said:

Let's not forget that many volunteers do have regular full time jobs so most of this trail work that they are willing and able to do happens on weekends.  Being a late harvest means you couldn't start much earlier. Add in the regular life stuff and Christmas and all that goes with it, it starts to get very hectic.

I don't have my lights up or a tree yet either. 2 weeks might not be enough!

This is NOT a personal shot at you winter rules. 

Kid on our club FB posts that we are slow pokes and should have our trails ready for him and his 180 dollar pass. We only have 15-20 cm on the ground, then the wind blew it away.

3 hours ago, Crow said:

Let's not forget that many volunteers do have regular full time jobs so most of this trail work that they are willing and able to do happens on weekends.  Being a late harvest means you couldn't start much earlier. Add in the regular life stuff and Christmas and all that goes with it, it starts to get very hectic.

Kid on our club FB posts that we are slow pokes and should have our trails ready for him and his 180 dollar pass. We only have 15-20 cm on the ground, then the wind blew it away.

it's the day and age of entitlement. If they want the trail earlier perhaps they should get out and volunteer themselves. The trails that are limited availability now will be totally destroyed by traffic volume before the weekend is over.

8 hours ago, Crow said:

Me I did not right the article I just posted what someone else put` so you could see what they said  , that info was also broadcast on the news live at noon . I don't even ride I had to leave the sport due to my very bad health  , I'm pretty much blind . But I do like to see how the sled trails are going once and awhile . They have already removed one of my eyes I only have one screwed up eye left , I can't drive SUCKS :( 

Clubs shouldn’t feel obligated to give in to the pressure. Do what’s necessary for the long term of the season. Let the trails set up nice before going yellow even. I can wait 

Raining here now for 24 hrs. Will have to wait for colder weather till we can go back at trail work. Not gonna work in a muddy field and make a mess. Still a bit of corn out yet south of Stratford. 

Maybe another year of no trails south of 86 highway.  The so called "Polar Vortex" that was supposed to bring us winter was a 2 week short lived bust.  The jet stream has not settled down yet.  No snow left in Woodstock by tonight.

Darn. That's an area I've been itching to try. 

bah winters just starting i can remember living in woodstock 2007 - 2009 and almost every winter then it was 10' snowbanks. ya never know what mother nature's gonna provide till mid Jan usually..

Photo: one nights dump in in Woodstock in 2008. no where to put the snow town had to come around with dumptrucks.

IMG_0921.JPG

BruteMan,

I was there and had to blow that snow.  I rode out of my house that winter.  A lot has changed in 10 years.

I bet you guys are too young to know what winters were like in Perth County the 60's when I walked to school uphill both ways.  Track damage happened when you ran over the top of an iron fence post because you never seen it.

BP

Archived