HALIBURTON FOREST

thetorches

15 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

hey. We’ll be riding our sleds tomorrow. Breaking in a new belt. Someone on their new sled. Adjusting stuff. Hanging in the warm up shacks. Better than sitting at home tidying the basement. Can’t wait

Hey pal, let us know how the trails are. Heading there Monday. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Wimpy said:

Hey pal, let us know how the trails are. Heading there Monday. 

Don't go.  Trails trashed by noon on Sat.  They should not have opened.  Constant clatter of stones under your skis even first thing in the morning.  No base. Many people left by noon on Sat.  WE came out via Kelly Rd then took Kennessis lake RD back to the basecamp.

1 hour ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Don't go.  Trails trashed by noon on Sat.  They should not have opened.  Constant clatter of stones under your skis even first thing in the morning.  No base. Many people left by noon on Sat.  WE came out via Kelly Rd then took Kennessis lake RD back to the basecamp.

Not surprising since there was no snow two weeks ago in area, with plus day time temperatures. 

Crap!  Thx for heads up,

X2 on what Viperules700 said...

Up in cottage country the groud was very wet and muddy as the snow squalls were fire up so that gotta be expected.

We usually go every year for an early season ride in the Haliburton forest just after Christmas. Good place to test out the machine.

Looks like +1or 2on tues for Muskoka ,could show up a few potatoes :o

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

Looks like +1or 2on tues for Muskoka ,could show up a few potatoes :o

We'll help you guys pack all that snow down and get a concrete base. Day time is short, so sun won't do much damage. Prey rain stays away. 

2 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

I think the reports are almost the same every year so no real surprise but still pisses you off.

If you read forest report, they claim early season conditions on main system and all secondary trails are closed because they are still wet under snow. There ranking system sucks. Without some local knowledge you never know what to expect. I have been in once in November and conditions were fair (better then early riding in D5, that time. I seen Nunz has had some November rides in there before too, that were pleasant. 

They have no road crossings and hold snow well, all bush pretty much. Weather co-operates they are capable of good conditions early and late in season. 

9 minutes ago, Kpetrorenegade said:

Does anyone have an update on the trails in the haliburton forest. Want to know if it is worth going up there this weekend?

Nope but I wouldn't go, since tall pines trails are still closed. 62 and 64 are same elevation as forest, so if they are closed forest is marginal at best. 

9 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Nope but I wouldn't go, since tall pines trails are still closed. 62 and 64 are same elevation as forest, so if they are closed forest is marginal at best. 

Are you for real? Think about what you wrote. Volunteer shortage or possible land owner concerns for the OFSC trails or simply red tape. Versus a private enterprise.  

I went up Monday because my buddy wanted to keep our plans. Came home Tuesday.  Trails were terrible, mostly because of rain.  I’m sure they’re better now with a good base too.  

23 hours ago, ontariof7 said:

Are you for real? Think about what you wrote. Volunteer shortage or possible land owner concerns for the OFSC trails or simply red tape. Versus a private enterprise.  

Private or not, they still need more snow to have good trail conditions,  I’m 25 km directly east of PS and for the people who know this area it’s one of the hardest hit areas in Ontario and that warm up took quite a bit of snow with it.

Archived