02Sled

I think when most people put on a float suit it actually squeezes the brain out of their head. I love fishing and snowmobiling like most on this site but wow. It always suprises me how dumb so many people are. Wanting to be the first across a lake or fish a fished out spot like cooks bay. Holy crap. People think about it. I sure won't be the first tracks to cross a lake or first to drill a hole. However I will be posting on the OC next year. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard it so many times, not only in the early season but mid season. Look, there's tracks on the ice so it must be okay.

People put the helmet on and it affects their thinking. How about those tracks were made by someone weighing in at 140 lbs on a 400 lb sled doing 100 kph. They make it across. Now that 220 lb rider comes to the shore on his 600 lb sled comes to the shore and makes that notorious rationalization that it must be safe. So of he goes at 60 kph and a short time later he and his sled plunge through the too thin ice.

I tend to stick to the stake lines that were put in by those that know the lake, where the currents are and have checked the ice thickness. I know of spots where the ice has been 3 ft thick and a very short distance away open water or just a thin scin of ice.

If you don't know don't go.

I live on Belmont Lake, it froze over on Monday Dec. 11. , first tracks were Sat.Dec. 16.   . A little unbelievable. I augered my own test whole in three feet of water with absolutely zero current i had less than 3 inches of ice. it would barely hold me.

6 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

I live on Belmont Lake, it froze over on Monday Dec. 11. , first tracks were Sat.Dec. 16.   . A little unbelievable. I augered my own test whole in three feet of water with absolutely zero current i had less than 3 inches of ice. it would barely hold me.

You have to wear snow shoes and you will be ok :)

They just recovered an 80 year old ice fisherman that put his atv through Bennett Lake north of Perth. That lake appears to be barely north of Highway 7. I feel sorry for the divers that have to risk their own lives .

Tracks on penetang/Georgian Bay Area....I don’t get it..

59 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Tracks on penetang/Georgian Bay Area....I don’t get it..

I remember the snowmobile that played chicken with the ice breaker coming into Midland Harbour

Reporting a death near Tweed. Snowmobiler running the road at night. 

Not good...

Of course they do, but all of them can be prevented...a lot of the time people just don’t think.

4 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Of course they do, but all of them can be prevented...a lot of the time people just don’t think.

too easy to say that - almost everything is preventable - at the end of the day - we all make choices, good and bad - that is life.

It wasn’t supposed to be a hard thing to say lol, way too many idiots out there that are just clueless as to what the conditions might actually be like at the start of the season. Just stay home and wait for something to actually open, or for some actual safe ice conditions. Its their own fault...

2 hours ago, pt3189 said:

Reporting a death near Tweed. Snowmobiler running the road at night. 

https://www.insideottawavalley.com/news-story/8003153-snowmobile-accident-near-tweed-claims-life-of-34-year-old-man/

7 hours ago, pt3189 said:

They just recovered an 80 year old ice fisherman that put his atv through Bennett Lake north of Perth. That lake appears to be barely north of Highway 7. I feel sorry for the divers that have to risk their own lives .

Can any of you guys that ice fish explain to me why there is this rush to go fishing @ the 1st sign of ice or be on it fishing in the spring when the ice is turning to mush?

5 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Can any of you guys that ice fish explain to me why there is this rush to go fishing @ the 1st sign of ice or be on it fishing in the spring when the ice is turning to mush?

I’ve been fishing my whole life and I still don’t understand it...

the theory is, first ice, the fish know it is going to be a long winter, and bite/feed well. last ice, they haven't ate much all winter, and need to put on the feed bag, and bite well while the water is warming before spawning.

for me, I test the ice with a spud, auger, and don't take any chances, ESPECIALLY in current, or deep water. a fish dinner isn't worth anyone's life. Ski

12 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

the theory is, first ice, the fish know it is going to be a long winter, and bite/feed well. last ice, they haven't ate much all winter, and need to put on the feed bag, and bite well while the water is warming before spawning.

for me, I test the ice with a spud, auger, and don't take any chances, ESPECIALLY in current, or deep water. a fish dinner isn't worth anyone's life. Ski

That's what we say when they have to rescue these people off the ice when Simcoe is breaking up in the spring.

6 minutes ago, zoso said:

Hundreds ice fishing trapped on lake erie ice floe.

Image result for ice fish trapped on ice lake erie

From 2012:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/stranded-ice-fishermen-rescued-on-lake-simcoe-1.1156863

I seem to recall a similar rescue prior to 2010 as well.

4 minutes ago, zoso said:

ya that was 2009

Thanks. An old neighbour asked me about that one.

And again.

The "Friendship Trail" is a rail bed converted to multi-use (except for things with motors) between Fort Erie and Port Colborne. Winter enforcement has been pretty lax as the only built up areas are at the ends. that may change now.

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2017/12/15/one-hurt-in-snowmobile-crash

6 minutes ago, scrummage said:

And again.

The "Friendship Trail" is a rail bed converted to multi-use (except for things with motors) between Fort Erie and Port Colborne. Winter enforcement has been pretty lax as the only built up areas are at the ends. that may change now.

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/2017/12/15/one-hurt-in-snowmobile-crash

I've cycled down the Niagara Parkway Trail to Ft. Erie in the summer & have seen stud marks in the bridge decking.

Archived