OFSC On-line Map Working? Is it just Me?

Laughing Moose

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The members of this forum are pretty well informed on what is up with the app   disappearing and what is replacing it. After speaking with a few sledders in my business and on the trail there is a ton of confusion about it . The change was very poorly communicated  and disastrously executed. How many of you have asked yourself why the ofsc felt a change was even needed,

14 minutes ago, pt3189 said:

The members of this forum are pretty well informed on what is up with the app   disappearing and what is replacing it. After speaking with a few sledders in my business and on the trail there is a ton of confusion about it . The change was very poorly communicated  and disastrously executed. How many of you have asked yourself why the ofsc felt a change was even needed,

Include me in that question

1 hour ago, pt3189 said:

Seems odd. Who decided to pay for a new ITG? We all know money has become a real issue for every single club, as well as the head office. Investing permit money into something that brings no return, no real value, and as it turns out is a major screw up, we should know who decided to do it, and they should be held to account. 

There is the potential scenario .that it was / is a move to in fact save money. Typically I would expect they pay a license and support fee annually. It may be that the annual fees were increasing so they went shopping for an alternative less expensive solution. The key factor that would have made everything more palatable woul be for OFSC to communicate what and why

The key to this i see is that they had a fee it was small but there was a 3.99 charge for the app on IOS I paid it last year and as with most software i pay for whether it goes obsolete or not i kind of expect it to still work in the manner it was last updated to. 

When Microsoft updated to Windows 10 you think everyone woke up the next morning to find their PC would not boot up anymore on windows 7? 

This is a bigger piss off and OFSC waving a middle finger at the community. I don't really care if it goes ITG or whatever i usually when sledding look at the local maps posted at most trail intersections anyway but the fact they took your money for a app then just pull the plug on the app for no reason or explanation other then this.  

I'm sure they didn't make millions but watching facebook and forums backlash on the App it appears there were enough sales that probably added up to a decent sum the problem is it's a new year and now everyone owns the app they are not making revenue again this year so hey let's cancel it and do something else. I fully expect that the 3.99 app will remain dead and instead they will put up a new app for more money in the future.

At a time when there is more pressure than ever from land owners to keep riders on trail / on open only trails, seems hard to imagine a replacement was launched before confirmed as dead nutz reliable. At least the previous one worked most of the time.

1 hour ago, BruteMan said:

The key to this i see is that they had a fee it was small but there was a 3.99 charge for the app on IOS I paid it last year and as with most software i pay for whether it goes obsolete or not i kind of expect it to still work in the manner it was last updated to. 

When Microsoft updated to Windows 10 you think everyone woke up the next morning to find their PC would not boot up anymore on windows 7? 

This is a bigger piss off and OFSC waving a middle finger at the community. I don't really care if it goes ITG or whatever i usually when sledding look at the local maps posted at most trail intersections anyway but the fact they took your money for a app then just pull the plug on the app for no reason or explanation other then this.  

I'm sure they didn't make millions but watching facebook and forums backlash on the App it appears there were enough sales that probably added up to a decent sum the problem is it's a new year and now everyone owns the app they are not making revenue again this year so hey let's cancel it and do something else. I fully expect that the 3.99 app will remain dead and instead they will put up a new app for more money in the future.

I strongly doubt, actually I would put money on it that it was a third party that did the app for the phones and that the amount of money the OFSC would have gotten would have been negligible. Of the permit buyers a lot would simply use the paper maps. Then there would be those that would use their Garmin or similar GPS devices and then a few that would get the app for their phone. The bulk of the $3.99 if not all would have likely gone to the third party developer / maintainer.

The reason the phone app wouldn't work would be the base maps which were apparently powered by google maps are no longer being fed which would be the part of the annual license fees that they paid for access to. Now the map base is provided by evouala or something like that. I would surmise that their map base isn't compatible with the existing app.

I really doubt that anyone looked at it as a revenue source for the OFSC and made a change just to get another few dollars for a phone app. Was / is the deployment of a replacement for the ITG / app totally mishandled. Yes.

I am noticing for the most part if you see the app for a couple seconds then goes to 'something went wrong screen' you need to clear the history on the browser (maybe just need to clear cache) and then next time you open it you will get the 'agree to the terms' page.    It seems to work if you click ok on the agree to terms page.  If that page doesn't come they appear to have some cookies issue and it doesn't remember you clicked that in the past like even a few hours ago, and you get the something went wrong page.

Btw, I think the old map was not broken, and I really really miss the right click add to trip feature.  These new place sleds on map feature works like crap. Also as a software developer myself I did not find it intuitive to use the yellow sleds.   Took me at least 5-10 minutes to figure out that feature even existed.

Also have you seen how long it takes to load this nonsense on a phone using cell network?   I won't be using this on a phone out on the trails unless really desperate. 

Also a little peeved I bought the 4 dollar android app to have support completely dropped.  

There is something sketchy going on OFSC, this new map is a case of either,

- Lets attempt to save a couple bucks in licensing fees to google 

OR

- Hey my buddy is a wannabe developer and lets give him this contract to update our maps for no reason at all.

I want to go riding today but can't seem to determine what is open? hmm...   I go to the club pages and most of them redirect you to the old map that doesn't work.  

This is a mess right now.

Also just thinking out loud wtf did the previous phone app need to download google maps every time you used it?  I'm pretty sure the map of Ontario doesn't change daily or monthly or for the most part yearly.   Could it not have downloaded the map once a year and stored it on the phone?  All they need to do is license one map once a year.  Also it could download the trails themselves once a year.   Then when using the app daily it just downloads the trail status which would be like a kilobyte of data about the size of a small email.  A trail number and color combination table.  (C102, red)  done...

Unfortunately I am using my brain and creating an app that would actually work, there is no place for that kind of thinking at ofsc :)

I like the wanna be developer theory, seems possible.

Does anyone know if the CHSC even has a site anymore, I cant find a thing.

Try a Facebook search . Most clubs headed that way.

I'm a non facebook user and never will be.  There are other clubs to donate to in my area.  Thanks for the insight.

All trail at Seguin become C103D:blink:

trail issue.png

Aren't you glad we got rid of the old ITG and replaced it with this new and improved ITG.... so far apart in performance and usability. That C103D sure covers an awful lot of ground and goes a lot of places.

CaptureM.JPG.c8f1fdd3080253bd9e69a3a7d41966e6.JPG

Don't worry.  Your GPS will still be correct.

Lol Map is toast again tonight not even showing trails now and the website still is pretty messed up looking for the last few weeks. really wonder whos hand is on their tech dept. cause it probably should be lobbed off.

Archived