OFSC On-line Map Working? Is it just Me?

Laughing Moose

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that the available trails  mileage at the top corner is missing on the new map also.

Well kudos to the people working on the ITG, and the Ofsc for, I assume, listening and trying to correct some of the concerns regarding the ITG. I am guilty for complaining and criticizing the new ITG and I am aware it takes a lot of hard work and money to make things the way they are for us snowmobilers, and like to thank everyone involved in making things happen. 

I usually don’t complain because I don’t volunteer (planning to in the future)  and also understand the efforts by all involved. But I wanted to express my concerns due to imo there were a few safety concerns (from my perspective) again I’d like to thank the Ofsc and all the hard workers that make this sport a wonderful experience.

1 hour ago, gobills said:

Yes i used to love seeing how many kms were open!

This will make it impossible for me to waste my employers time and track the trails this year.

trailbydate.thumb.JPG.b4315a4de8190981d1e9d9a71464ab3a.JPG

omg

say it ain't so

what am I going to use for a screen saver next year?

:cry2:

41 minutes ago, Blake G said:

omg

say it ain't so

what am I going to use for a screen saver next year?

:cry2:

Thanks schmied. Appreciate your graphs. Can't believe last season ended prior to April.  Thanks for reminding ...grrrr.

Blake's just upset because that looks like his buttertart consumption graph ....Peaks in summer/withdrawl over the winter LOL

On 12/11/2017 at 9:10 PM, zoso said:

I opened the ITG yesterday and it had three sleds in the upper right hand corner so as to plot a route of your own making. A start, a middle and a finish, you could plot an entire loop or simply a direct route you picked. Now it is gone, I assume they are testing this, and it will be there soon.

Its back up this morning i just made a route with the yellow sled.  i was able to make a great route.

3 hours ago, gobills said:

i just made a route with the yellow sled.....

Routing with a yellow sled :-P  They always seem to lead, don't they. 

Glad there's been some progress. Look forward to setting some routes when Christmas 'honey do' list is complete. 

Happy trails, folks.

22 minutes ago, Canuck said:

They always seem to lead, don't they.

Not when the V-Force reeds fail every year.  :lol:

4 hours ago, gobills said:

Its back up this morning i just made a route with the yellow sled.  i was able to make a great route.

and it's gone again this morning. I just went there hoping to try it out and guess what, no yellow sled.

Capture1.JPG.b87bb841c05e8797571f1fb3ac8fd7a0.JPG

7 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

and it's gone again this morning. I just went there hoping to try it out and guess what, no yellow sled.

Capture1.JPG.b87bb841c05e8797571f1fb3ac8fd7a0.JPG

Try selecting a start point and the yellow sled should show up..

9 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

In my experience, you have to start with a route (place the green and red sleds) then you can manipulate it with the yellow sled.

My route seems to max out with 3 yellow 're-routes' then they yellow sled option goes away.  Anyone else?

10 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Try selecting a start point and the yellow sled should show up..

10 minutes ago, schmied said:

In my experience, you have to start with a route (place the green and red sleds) then you can manipulate it with the yellow sled.

Okay... it's an improvement but still not what I would have made it or where the functionality should be. I started a route in Port Severn and ended at the intersection of C and C101D. Then as suggested the yellow sled showed up. I was able to route across the ice of Little Lake on 11B as an alternative however both the original route and my reroute were still on the map. The texted route on the left of the screen showed the updated route including 11B.

Capture1.JPG.4639ebb0837515c894a7661402c0d4eb.JPG

When I moved the yellow sled far enough along 11B to the point where it tied back in to C trail the reroute along 11B completely disappeared.

Capture1.JPG.a0624e7ff07b279b1adcb0148a9080e3.JPG

Basically you are only allowed one reroute it seems. The original shortest route identified by the system was C trail north from Port Severn to 11A where you get on the ice of Six Mile Lake. Run 11A until it ties back in with C trail.

I chose to run the ice of Little Lake on 11B but as I mentioned as soon as I reconnected with C trail I lost my reroute on 11B. Continuing on C trail I am able to use the yellow sled to reroute and not use 11A across the ice of Six Mile Lake and choose the more scenic C trail. Unfortunately though my reroute using 11B is long gone.

Capture1.JPG.edc1072a373d0250769f7ed055af0e02.JPG

Personally I would give the user options. (1) let the system show the shortest route for you with the drag and drop of the two sleds OR option (2) drag and drop your start point and then drag the sled along the route YOU select without any interference from the automated routing. It would just show your chosen route and nothing else. YOUR route wherever you chose to drag the sled would be what you see. Too bad you can't do that.

Don't forget now... only one diversion from the system chosen route is allowed.

19 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Okay... it's an improvement but still not what I would have made it or where the functionality should be. I started a route in Port Severn and ended at the intersection of C and C101D. Then as suggested the yellow sled showed up. I was able to route across the ice of Little Lake on 11B as an alternative however both the original route and my reroute were still on the map. The texted route on the left of the screen showed the updated route including 11B.

Capture1.JPG.4639ebb0837515c894a7661402c0d4eb.JPG

When I moved the yellow sled far enough along 11B to the point where it tied back in to C trail the reroute along 11B completely disappeared.

Capture1.JPG.a0624e7ff07b279b1adcb0148a9080e3.JPG

Basically you are only allowed one reroute it seems. The original shortest route identified by the system was C trail north from Port Severn to 11A where you get on the ice of Six Mile Lake. Run 11A until it ties back in with C trail.

I chose to run the ice of Little Lake on 11B but as I mentioned as soon as I reconnected with C trail I lost my reroute on 11B. Continuing on C trail I am able to use the yellow sled to reroute and not use 11A across the ice of Six Mile Lake and choose the more scenic C trail. Unfortunately though my reroute using 11B is long gone.

Capture1.JPG.edc1072a373d0250769f7ed055af0e02.JPG

Personally I would give the user options. (1) let the system show the shortest route for you with the drag and drop of the two sleds OR option (2) drag and drop your start point and then drag the sled along the route YOU select without any interference from the automated routing. It would just show your chosen route and nothing else. YOUR route wherever you chose to drag the sled would be what you see. Too bad you can't do that.

Don't forget now... only one diversion from the system chosen route is allowed.

Gary have you tried doing that in another area? A while back we were (BSR) required to rename c trail alternate which wad the ice crossing the pool and 6 mile to 11a , 11b and 11c. The ofsc didnt want a tops trail being alternate on ice. I gpsd and sent in the renamed data. 

This data, the hard data of which the ofsc is using may not have the correct waypoints to allow you to changed it. Which makes it a continuous loop around port severn.. 

Just a thought. The Data I sent in is at least 5 years old..

1 hour ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Gary have you tried doing that in another area? A while back we were (BSR) required to rename c trail alternate which wad the ice crossing the pool and 6 mile to 11a , 11b and 11c. The ofsc didnt want a tops trail being alternate on ice. I gpsd and sent in the renamed data. 

This data, the hard data of which the ofsc is using may not have the correct waypoints to allow you to changed it. Which makes it a continuous loop around port severn.. 

Just a thought. The Data I sent in is at least 5 years old..

Yeah... I tried doing a route starting in Gravenhurst as well. It had it's own challenges I wanted to start and end in Gravenurst. You can't do that for a loop around Lake Muskoka. If you put both start and end in Gravenhurst the ITG takes you nowhere. I started in Gravenhurst at the Wharf and put the end sled just east of the Wharf. I was then able to move the yellow sled up and around the west side of Lake Muskoka. That wasn't working too bad for a while.

Capture1.JPG.9aea74b69c03ba2c62392c3eeb75540b.JPG

I'll give you one guess what happens when you move the yellow sled beyond the 1/2 way shortest route to your end point just east of Gravenhurst. The route you have been mapping going west of Gravenhurst to complete a loop just disappears and now ONLY shows you the route around the east side of Lake Muskoka to your end point just east of where you started from.

Capture1.JPG.17a1056956cb16b30f12551db23c89a0.JPG

Frankly I don't really care about shortest route being calculated for me. Give me a tool where I can click a start point and trace a route dragging the mouse along my chosen trails and I am happy.... oh yeah don't have the blue line of my route lay over and block out the trail numbers I would be riding on.

So I tried the multiple reroute options again. Starting at the intersection of C and C101D beyond the north end of Six Mile Lake where you continue on C to head toward Parry Sound. Initial route from the system gave me the shortest route.

Capture1.JPG.61f9a628d8b5328cc7beb66c252f598c.JPG

Now I choose to stay on C trail and use the Yellow sled icon. This time it shows both routes which is different than what happened a few minutes ago.

Capture1.JPG.71e0ff7040f7db0904bf82c6140bb03f.JPG

The ITG source code is so full of so many bugs that it is simply in serious need of someone with some top notch coding skills to go through it. They also need someone to do in depth testing before they put it out for use. In short it is broken.

Try using multiple yellow sleds to fill in the loop. The yellow sled is essentially a waypoint plotter. 

It worked for me... 

Screenshot_20171213-131754.thumb.png.c9ce1c88fbe19c276d5eea305b74b328.png

Just keep grabbing the yellow sled from the top and drag to fill in the gaps... 

There is a learning curve... 

I remember when there was a huge uproar when we changed from text based reporting to the original ITG. It's not easy to adjust to new things but we are evolving slowly....

10 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Try using multiple yellow sleds to fill in the loop. The yellow sled is essentially a waypoint plotter. 

It worked for me... 

I remember when there was a huge uproar when we changed from text based reporting to the original ITG. It's not easy to adjust to new things but we are evolving slowly....

In this case where the complexity for the end user is a regression rather than a progression it's not good. What I experienced where the buffered memory held onto the old route and didn't clear that memory so it now showed both routes is a rookie coding error that has been seen in countless systems over the years. If you just hit the right combination sequence of changes that memory gets held onto rather than cleared.

Interesting. Guessing we have to 'clear history' before (or between) routing sessions?

5 hours ago, Canuck said:

Routing with a yellow sled :-P  They always seem to lead, don't they. 

Glad there's been some progress. Look forward to setting some routes when Christmas 'honey do' list is complete. 

Happy trails, folks.

The yellow sleds never lead, they are in the middle, and as usual arrived last.

7 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

It worked for me... 

Sometime it is hard to see the forest with the trees in the way....

9 hours ago, stoney said:

Sometime it is hard to see the forest with the trees in the way....

Seems simple, cut the trees so we can see the forest.....

Seems not to bad this morning.

I played around with is a bit and got this.

I do agree on your route is overtop of the trail markers sucks.

image.thumb.png.bb39d671ff5d59a23481a716018a1d22.png

Archived