OFSC On-line Map Working? Is it just Me?

Laughing Moose

The online OFSC map has not been loading on my computer or I-Pad for the past several days.  Does anyone know whether there is a problem with the web-site?

Thanks LM

5a22b3393e4db_On-LineTrailMessage.thumb.png.dadb67e74113e2e2720cf1be64a06577.png

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know the answer to your question,  but one of the OFSC head office people confirmed two days ago that the ITG is still being developed, with a few changes expected.

Not just you. I get Page Can't Be Displayed. As Blake said the standard answer from the OFSC is "it's a work in progress". Maybe they listened to everyone and are backing out of the new ITG and using the old one until the new one is no longer a work in progress. I don't think we would be that lucky though.

Implementing something as incomplete as the current ITG is like moving into a house before the windows and doors are installed.

If the online map is indeed currently non-functional,  it would have been courteous of the OFSC to put a notice on their web-site that the trail map is down.  I'm trying to plan a sled trip.  

Quebec on-line map is working.  Just sayin.....

1 hour ago, Laughing Moose said:

The online OFSC map has not been loading on my computer or I-Pad for the past several days.  Does anyone know whether there is a problem with the web-site?

Thanks LM

5a22b3393e4db_On-LineTrailMessage.thumb.png.dadb67e74113e2e2720cf1be64a06577.png

The link provided on the ofsc main page is broken at the moment. I have the link saved for fast access and it works just fine for me.  They are doing updates so I wont post the link as to not affect what they are doing.. 

Hmmm. I wasn't using the OFSC link. Once I was redirected to the ITG web site from the OFSC some time ago I saved that site as a shortcut and that wasn't working a few minutes ago.

My shortcut just worked... hmmm.... looks like it's maybe going up and down. It would be nice like Laughing Moose said to post something about it.

11 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Not just you. I get Page Can't Be Displayed. As Blake said the standard answer from the OFSC is "it's a work in progress". Maybe they listened to everyone and are backing out of the new ITG and using the old one until the new one is no longer a work in progress. I don't think we would be that lucky though.

Implementing something as incomplete as the current ITG is like moving into a house before the windows and doors are installed.

They are still moving forward with the current map base, but are updating to be even more user friendly with the features being improved. The first version was like a beta version so you can see some of the early features.. They just rolled out a how to navigate demo video with many more to come.

The new ITG continues to be less than a satisfying experience and all you get is it's a work in progress... I'm trying to do some trip planning for the coming season. I dropped the start sled icon in Port Severn and the end sled icon in Wasaga Beach.

Capture1.JPG.90fec7ba53882b77fd39f976eb569c10.JPG

If you're just looking at the map the trail identifiers are i.e. TOP Trail C are laid over the red line showing the trail itself. As soon as you try to plan a route the system shows the shortest trail route in blue rather than red BUT the blue line overlays the trail identifies. You haven't any idea what trail number you are supposed to be on unless you read the written synopsis to the left of the map. Not very useful if it's a trail you're not familiar with or want to rely on a map you print off to take with you. Something tells me I'll be much more reliant on paper maps this year than I have been in the past. Isn't it great when technology takes a step WAAAAY back from where it once was.

48 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

The new ITG continues to be less than a satisfying experience and all you get is it's a work in progress... I'm trying to do some trip planning for the coming season. I dropped the start sled icon in Port Severn and the end sled icon in Wasaga Beach.

Capture1.JPG.90fec7ba53882b77fd39f976eb569c10.JPG

If you're just looking at the map the trail identifiers are i.e. TOP Trail C are laid over the red line showing the trail itself. As soon as you try to plan a route the system shows the shortest trail route in blue rather than red BUT the blue line overlays the trail identifies. You haven't any idea what trail number you are supposed to be on unless you read the written synopsis to the left of the map. Not very useful if it's a trail you're not familiar with or want to rely on a map you print off to take with you. Something tells me I'll be much more reliant on paper maps this year than I have been in the past. Isn't it great when technology takes a step WAAAAY back from where it once was.

Yikes lol. I am planning on using my iPhone and the app to track which trail I am on in real time, while out riding. Seems to work fine last winter, hopefully that isn't all screwed up too. 

26 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Yikes lol. I am planning on using my iPhone and the app to track which trail I am on in real time, while out riding. Seems to work fine last winter, hopefully that isn't all screwed up too. 

I suspect it will be since the new ITG is a work in progress. I thought I would try something. Here is a snipit from the ITG where the blue route obscures the trail numbers.

Capture1.JPG.ae32d554b2d37cd9a5087a4114707660.JPG

I thought if I zoomed in enough it may make the trail numbers visible. Surprise! Each time I rolled for zoom the numbers did become much larger and visible for less than a full second. You had to be real quick to catch it. But guess what. You zoom in enough and the trail numbers actually get dropped from what you see. In the above snipit you can see the trail identifiers. One just above the farm house and buildings and another just below what looks like the plowed field.

Capture1.JPG.24e9ade9abe00a08f8a75a0d52a55e7c.JPG

Zoom in on the exact same spot and the trail numbers WERE where the red circles are. I can just imagine trying to follow this on the small screen of a smart phone. Will you be able to see anything other than a blue line that doesn't give you the slightest idea of what trail you are on? I don't know. I hope not.

If you're in an unfamiliar area signage and maps are worth their weight in gold. One of my pet peeves is long trails without any signage to let you know which trail you are on once you get on it. i.e. You come to an intersection and the signage with the arrows as to which way is which trail is not perfectly clear. You take what you believe is the correct trail and ride on, and on, and on. Nothing even crossing a road to reassure you of the trail you are on and that you didn't possibly miss an intersection or turn.

When you ask the club about improved signage they dismiss your request with a, everyone knows this trail keeps on going until you reach point X. Yeah, if you're a local rider maybe.

I was on one of those trails last year. A few arrows and trail signs in like 50 kms, no trail numbers what so ever.  One guy almost ran out of fuel too, not fun. 

I wonder who beta tested the new map? It would have been nice to have actual snowmobilers test the map out and report back on their findings. 

Im a bit confused.  Does OFSC need cellular to work?  Seems that way to me.  In Quebec I am sure iMotoneige works with GPS alone.  Does the ITG?

The iMotoneige application is a joint development of the FCMQ and ViaExplora. It offers quick and easy access to all of Quebec`s snowmobile trails, all without the need for a data plan or cellular signal. 

The application includes:

• complete snowmobile trail map;
  • the location of all services found in the FCMQ Services Guide, including dealerships, secure hotels,…

The application provides all of the functionalities of our interactive trail map, along with a few new features: 

• you can consult information about attractions and services, as well as contacting them by phone at the click of a button;
  • plan your itinerary and share it by email or SMS;
  • contact the club responsible for the trail you are using;
  • track your position;
  • consult instructions related to your itinerary;
  • and mostly, have fun!

If you have a data plan:

• obtain additional zoom levels for the map;
  • find out when the trails were groomed;
  • consult the Web sites of attractions and services with just one click;
  • Consult weather forecasts and snow accumulation data;
  • View écoSentiers (environmentally certified) trails.

In addition, the app is now available in English! The display language will correspond to that set in your mobile device.

imotoneige.jpg

On 12/3/2017 at 2:19 PM, Viperules700 said:

No iphone app this year and I can't see how the weblink option will show your position like the iphone app did.   I loved that option.  

http://www.ofsc.on.ca/experience/trip-planner/gps-mobile

Why would they not still support the app I have no idea.

36 minutes ago, Fox said:

No iphone app this year and I can't see how the weblink option will show your position like the iphone app did.   I loved that option.  

Probably since it would have been based on the old map system which they are no longer accessing. Whatever license fees they were likely paying they currently now are not and won't pay the license fees for both the old system AND the less than useful current system.

I was just looking at the ITG trying to map out a route starting in Gravenhurst and ending in Gravenhurst. You know... one of those things called a loop. Give you one guess how this goes. Drop the start icon in Gravenhurst. The only way you can do this is to drag the stop icon along the trail to each intersection, make notes and then drag to the next intersection along your chosen route.... oops. I took the longer route from the last intersection to try and avoid road running. Guess what. The system automatically took me to the short road running route. So now I have to take the start icon to the intersection and drag the stop to the next intersection that avoids the road runs.

What used to take minutes.... now maybe well over an hour.

Ask me if I am happy with or like the "work in progress"

1 hour ago, Fox said:

Oh man are you serious. I just got a new phone and have been busy setting  it all back up. My old one crashed and apple couldn't recover anything from it. 

This really sucks. Lots of people used the app last year. Some trails have very little markings or signs so it came in real handy. Kept phone in glove box plugged in. So if I wasn't sure where to go, pull it out and it would show me exactly where I was in real time. Now I am with 02 and feels like back to paper maps if I can get them to print, how do I know which trails are open or closed while riding, not many hotels have printers.  The app was great in that reguard. Can't sit there and wait an hour for stupid guide to load on trail. 

Frustrating. I would be happy to pay 10 bucks for App if it would work properly to recover setup costs. Come on OFSC.

guess I will have to fill out survey and give feed back. 

The isnowmobile App is under development but won't be available for this season. 

Archived