Riding Alone/Gps tracking

snowman

Yes i know, should not ride alone.... But, there are many times i find myself riding on my own, rather it be on the Sled, ATV or cross country skiing......Maybe I'm finishing up a ride with friends and having to make my way back home, or meeting for a group ride somewhere on the trail, i am sure we all do it at some point, and during that ride we never think anything of it.

During the times when my local trails are safely open all the way to my work (50-100km by trail or so), i usually ride my sled to work and back every day.  As i work with my wife she sometimes comes with me, but almost always says "i will take the car".   Also, often i will head out ice fishing a few lakes over on my own to spend a few hours out catching dinner (or trying anyways). 

I have done this for many years, and have never had too large of a problem (thankfully).

Over the past few years i have been trying different ways to track my rides so my family knows where i am at all times during a ride/ski, and in the case if i were to have a breakdown on the trail they would know where i was to come and save the day...

I have narrowed it down to an app called LocaToWeb after trying countless trackers.   It does work with Cell signal to be able to send small packets of data to its central server where it updates 'as it happens', so my wife can see where i am on the trail and see if i am moving or not. (turned off the speed tracking so she wouldn't see my speed though and get freaked out).  She does not need the app at all, as i just send her a text when i leave and it has a web link where she can see live tracking.  it is quite accurate and you can change the time between web updates from 10 seconds to 2 minutes.    Along my way there are a few corridors where there is no cell signal, but the app stores the GPS location and when cell signal restores it sends the missing data.  The small amount of data sent does not use up too much of your cell data...surprisingly small...they say 5000miles=1meg without pictures..

The app also has a feature called 'race' where you can ride in a group and see where everyone else is in your group.  have not used this function before, but looks like it could be useful?

I do keep track of where i do and don't have a good cell signal so if in any case i break down in these areas i know where to start walking if needed.   I also keep the family's sleds all gassed up just in the case they have to rescue me, and try not to ride in the dark...

Thought i would share this with you guys/girls just in case you are in the same boat (sled) as i am.   Would have been nice if the RideCommand from polaris had this function, but frankly i found that app to be a bit under-qualified in many ways....I use this app to track most of my rides so i can check them out at a later date...

Also, of course your phone would need to have GPS functionality.   No i am not paid by this company in any way, I just thought i would share my experience in hopes to have you guys ride safer on your own if needed.

Anyone else use something similar that they find worth looking into?

We use a GPS tracker program on our phones to know where we all are, safety net for the kids, etc.  IT's called Life360.  It updates every few minutes, will give a history of where they've been on a map, pretty handy.  Only works with cell signal though, so I've been hoping to see an alternative as you're suggesting.  I'll try this program out and see how it works.  Thanks for sharing.

We have been using the Spot Connect device for a couple of years now and love it, Our family members can log in anytime they want to the site and see exactly where we are, The added advantage with Spot is you can hit the SOS button and they will send 911 out to you. We also subscribe to the roadside assistance with it and they will send a flatbed tow truck to the nearest road crossing for you.  Hope this helps you.

2 hours ago, Nunz said:

We also subscribe to the roadside assistance with it and they will send a flatbed tow truck to the nearest road crossing for you.

I'm still waiting for my cheque ....

:lmao:

58 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

I'm still waiting for my cheque ....

:lmao:

Keep waiting buddy, I will kick your butt in a few weeks on New Years!!

I have used SPOT for years both with and without automatic tracking.  Pretty cheap insurance for only a few hundred dollars a year.  Really only good for tracking and emergency use though.  Has been great for peace of mind for my wife/parents over the past 5+ years that I have been using the device.  

Currently looking and planning on upgrading to the Garmin (formerly Delorme) Inreach as it adds a true communication function to the tracking and emergency use.  About $100-200 increase in the  the annual cost and units are more expensive but cheaper than a Satellite phone which is the only other option in this area.  

10 hours ago, Nunz said:

...... We also subscribe to the roadside assistance with it and they will send a flatbed tow truck to the nearest road crossing for you.  Hope this helps you.

Wait...what? 'Tis true? 

If you ride the north your option are pretty limited for tracking abilities, SPOT or Sat phone are about it.

Thanks for the Sat options....The Spot looks like a great option for a lot of out of signal riding like much of the back country in the north...   From the website it looks like the device is around $168, and about $200+ a year in monthly charges...not much for potentially saving a life....maybe i should splurge in the future for this service....But for now since most of my day to day riding is only to work and in my known areas which have 80% cell signal, i will have to stick with the LocaToWeb option at around $3 for the app, seems to work well for what i use it for within cell tower reaches...

thanks for the suggestions!

surprised no one has mentioned the Garmin, inreach. it uses a different tracking program than the SPOT, and allows for more options, and communication. I don't own one but, the guys on snowest, and some of my hunting forums like them.  https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/outdoor/delorme-inreach-adding-peace-mind-next-adventure/

Ski

5 hours ago, snowman said:

...But for now since most of my day to day riding is only to work and in my known areas which have 80% cell signal, i will have to stick with the LocaToWeb option at around $3 for the app, seems to work well for what i use it for within cell tower reach

I downloaded and tried the LocaToWeb app yesterday. I agree that it's easy to use, and quite accurate, assuming there's cell service. Thanks for the tip.

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

surprised no one has mentioned the Garmin, inreach. it uses a different tracking program than the SPOT, and allows for more options, and communication. I don't own one but, the guys on snowest, and some of my hunting forums like them.  https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/outdoor/delorme-inreach-adding-peace-mind-next-adventure/

Ski

I had the spot but didnt like it .this thing looks like a christmas present for me 

Wife will.be happier being able to follow me in northern ont where cell service is non existent 

53 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

I had the spot but didnt like it .this thing looks like a christmas present for me 

Wife will.be happier being able to follow me in northern ont where cell service is non existent 

Well looks like I will just have to ride with u..lol

Sled is tagged serviced and waiting for cochrane to open .wife said i could buy the tracker and wrap it up and give it to myself for christmas 

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

I had the spot but didnt like it 

X2

SPOT has very aggressive billing. I cancelled on renewal. No contact for 14 months then...invoice. Bizarre. Many online reports of similar activity.

Gpscity.ca has InReach on sale. Might be time to wrap up a gift as well :)

Looks like the monthly fees for the delorme are crazy , not going to be under the tree this year

9 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

Looks like the monthly fees for the delorme are crazy , not going to be under the tree this year

Back to smoke signals...☹️

I believe Matt17 was looking at the Delorme, not sure if he's gone that route yet but was looking hard.

From what I understand, you can cancel the inReach subscription and reactivate it on a month to month basis.  So, activate it from December to April then deactivate it for the rest of the year.  That brings the subscription fee more into line with the SPOT annual rate.

Ya I have looked long and hard at the Inreach, and think I will end up going with it.  Just waiting for the right time where I am thinking about it and finances are in order.  The 2-way communication will be a huge bonus.  And as sled junk said you can suspend your plan for $5/month and then upgrade when you need it (up to 12 times per year) thus saving the $50 activation fee.  You can also change between plans up to 12 times per year so I could see myself using one of the higher use plans through the winter and reducing it to the "Safety" plan which is basically what spot offers for the summer months when I am just out fishing occasionally.  

The high use plans provide functionality closer to a sat phone then to the SPOT units.  If you make that comparison the Inreach units pricing is more in line.  

29 minutes ago, matt17 said:

Ya I have looked long and hard at the Inreach, and think I will end up going with it.  Just waiting for the right time where I am thinking about it and finances are in order.  The 2-way communication will be a huge bonus.  And as sled junk said you can suspend your plan for $5/month and then upgrade when you need it (up to 12 times per year) thus saving the $50 activation fee.  You can also change between plans up to 12 times per year so I could see myself using one of the higher use plans through the winter and reducing it to the "Safety" plan which is basically what spot offers for the summer months when I am just out fishing occasionally.  

The high use plans provide functionality closer to a sat phone then to the SPOT units.  If you make that comparison the Inreach units pricing is more in line.  

Cool. Your area all the way to dub is one big dead zone for cells. I wish,  I could rent technology for one annual trip. 

Garmin inreach is a great alternative to a satalite phone, you can converse with anyone anywhere via text message.Has an sos function for emergencies. and you can turn off your cell phone or turn on airplane mode to save the battery for when you might need that device. One stated above that its pricey, not necesarilly true since you have many coverage options to choose from and for a minimum charge in the off season your able to suspend it at any time with no additional fee to reinstate when needed.Best of all you cant put a price on being able to be rescued in case of an emergency and able to comunicate with loved ones when cell phone coverage is not available. I have been using one for many years and will get another in a heart beat.

In the final analysis, aside from cost, would a satellite phone be better than an InReach?

4 minutes ago, Blake G said:

In the final analysis, aside from cost, would a satellite phone be better than an InReach?

Is a sat phone better than an inreach ? imo it depends on the situation, in some circumstances a satalite phone doesnt connect and results in a no connection situation, if your trying to make a leisure call it might not be a big deal. The nice thing about an inreach or any other sos device is the ability of the device to try and connect over and over untill a connection is achieved.

Archived