Ice In Report

zoso

29 minutes ago, The Groomer Guy said:

We have no snow but the ice is not bad, One guy that I know good told me that one lake he checked had about 6 inches of pure good ice.

Impressive.  Based on the weather in the south, it's hard to imagine 6 inches.

17 minutes ago, Domino said:

queue the mouse

1 hour ago, Domino said:

I saw some ice on a pond just north of the 401 this morning, however very little to no frost in the ground down here.

7 minutes ago, zoso said:

I saw some ice on a pond just north of the 401 this morning, however very little to no frost in the ground down here.

Cold is coming though will change soon. Prey for no snow until ground freezes solid. Groomer guy is lucky they are getting frost first. 

3 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Cold is coming though will change soon. Prey for no snow until ground freezes solid. Groomer guy is lucky they are getting frost first. 

Yep, it is always ideal to have the swamps tighten up before a big snowfall. I will take what we can get being we had one week of open trails here last year, If we get two feet of snow before a good frost in the ground and have to deal with some wet spots where sleds must pack it in well before grooming,  I will be ok with that. one thing for sure, enough snow over no frost and we can ride, no snow over six feet of frost and we sit at home.

15 minutes ago, zoso said:

Yep, it is always ideal to have the swamps tighten up before a big snowfall. I will take what we can get being we had one week of open trails here last year, If we get two feet of snow before a good frost in the ground and have to deal with some wet spots where sleds must pack it in well before grooming,  I will be ok with that. one thing for sure, enough snow over no frost and we can ride, no snow over six feet of frost and we sit at home.

No frost trails won't hold to traffic and a few warm days base will be gone. Can't win in south. Last year snow came before frost and it didn't last very well. 

Satellite imagery of Lake Ontario but Lake Simcoe can be seen in the top right. Cloud cover can be a problem.

11 hours ago, The Groomer Guy said:

We have no snow but the ice is not bad, One guy that I know good told me that one lake he checked had about 6 inches of pure good ice.

Does he live in Port Perry? 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Lake wahnapitae froze over from what I have been told.

Somebody was out at Rockies and it was ice as far out as they could see with no steam visible

On 12/21/2017 at 11:26 PM, soupkids said:

Somebody was out at Rockies and it was ice as far out as they could see with no steam visible

the lake is now at about 80%, should close up in the next few days. I think this is the earliest I have ever seen it freeze over.  Should make for an epic season for you guys being the lake is such a great hub for the entire trail system north of the city.sat7.thumb.JPG.6e0fcc74e18f692e382067db76d1a729.JPG

I can remember about 20 years ago crossing straight from Rockies to tonys  marina on new years day

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

I can remember about 20 years ago crossing straight from Rockies to tonys  marina on new years day

I bet by this morning it is completely closed. Still would not catch me out there for a while. Today's sat picture.sat8.thumb.JPG.cf2e8c64a7f46ef965857bdfcda1fd2d.JPG

you able to post the Sat image ESE of that one it looks based on that image at least up to the east edge that most of Algq parks all froze up i see brent lake , radiant and achray are all white there and the ottawa river above the rolphton hydro dam although i wouldnt trust that ice for a couple more weeks of this -20+.

Many locals running Rice Lake now!

Haven't tried to cross it myself yet, but there is over 7 inches in our bay right now, and I have been scooting around on it.

I may try to run across it this week, if the temps stay as cold as they forcast

56 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Many locals running Rice Lake now!

Haven't tried to cross it myself yet, but there is over 7 inches in our bay right now, and I have been scooting around on it.

I may try to run across it this week, if the temps stay as cold as they forcast

How is the snow on the trails coming. A friend owns Rhinos in Bewdley and I told him I would come visit on the sled some time this winter. I'm going to try and get his dad who hasn't been on a sled in many years to use my wife's sled to ride into Rhinos as well.

Archived