Early snow

WinderFab

48 minutes ago, Blake G said:

How much snow in Port Sydney now?

Its a secret.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next 14 days looking good re cold weather.  Should set things up nicely.  Might be riding our lakes here around Christmas

Kind of comical that you have a snowmobile forum praying for no snow.... 

I will take the snow, I know it does not always fall at the best of times, but with no snow, you are not riding on the frost.

In the past 7 years I had been grooming along the shores of south eastern Georgian bay, I had only seen frost set in once...  All other years we had a quick switch over to winter and that fired up the snaowsqualls.

Every year has its challenges, this year lots of rain that has filled the swamps, which make the beaver more active with water to move.. It will be wet and mucky if the snow keeps up for awhile. 

It is what it is, but if you really have the desire to ride groomed trails. Perhaps contact your local club and ask if they need a hand packing the trails...  You may just get to ride earlier by helping out.... 

Brushing for hill and gully on sat 

I'm looking forward to a great winter with my new sled. Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the season.

Had to take this bad boy out .get in ready for cochrane 

20171208_154851.jpg

Friend of mine called earlier today. About 6 inches of snow in Port Severn.

Knee deep as of this afternoon and still coming down hard, complete whiteouts... 20km east of parry sound 

Took old faithful down the hydro line 

Good packing snow but real wet underneath people .need cold  

20171209_141549.jpg

20171209_141543.jpg

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

Took old faithful down the hydro line 

Good packing snow but real wet underneath people .need cold  

20171209_141549.jpg

20171209_141543.jpg

If that was southern Ontario trail would look like it was open with tracks every which way. Good amount of snow, too bad no frost under-neath. Need to get drag out and pack it down :-).

I did the same thing around my property in Huntsville today. Ran a short section of road allowance along the D trail in the powder. It won't be long now folks.

Carmen

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

7 hours ago, Redfire427 said:

I did the same thing around my property in Huntsville today. Ran a short section of road allowance along the D trail in the powder. It won't be long now folks.

Carmen

IMG_2777.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

Nice sled 

Nice lookin' sled there Redfire, the right colour too ... :evil2:

6 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

and those are actual roads so legal to ride too!

Trails are still closed so it isn't legal to ride still is my understanding? If the summer roads aren't part of trail system then they are Legal to ride anytime. This is one reason I know carry 2 million liability. If the trail is closed and you ride it, your ass is on the line if an accident occurs. 

22 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Trails are still closed so it isn't legal to ride still is my understanding? If the summer roads aren't part of trail system then they are Legal to ride anytime. This is one reason I know carry 2 million liability. If the trail is closed and you ride it, your ass is on the line if an accident occurs. 

Not to mention land owners that get ticked off by people riding on a trail on THEIR PROPERTY that isn't yet open. There's a reason it isn't open.

My understanding is it all depends on the status of the land.  If it is crown/public it does not become an OFSC trail until trail opening.  If it is legal to ride a quad/truck on it in the summer why wouldn't it be legal to use with a sled a few weeks later.  It all comes down to knowing where you are.  

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Not to mention land owners that get ticked off by people riding on a trail on THEIR PROPERTY that isn't yet open. There's a reason it isn't open.

I thought the discussion was regarding a road?

5 hours ago, matt17 said:

My understanding is it all depends on the status of the land.  If it is crown/public it does not become an OFSC trail until trail opening.  If it is legal to ride a quad/truck on it in the summer why wouldn't it be legal to use with a sled a few weeks later.  It all comes down to knowing where you are.  

D trail in that area is not on any crown land. If it is an open road allowance, and permits use to vehicle traffic, fact is, it cannot become a prescribed trail and can be driven on by a truck year round, and plowed by those looking to access their private property if they so desire. We had that issue in district 12 with the chiniguchi loop, open road allowance and if people wanted to run 4x4s up there on the groomed trail, there was nothing to stop them. Not many ever did, but I did see a subaru up there on a busy sat. one time.

9 minutes ago, zoso said:

D trail in that area is not on any crown land. If it is an open road allowance, and permits use to vehicle traffic, fact is, it cannot become a prescribed trail and can be driven on by a truck year round, and plowed by those looking to access their private property if they so desire. We had that issue in district 12 with the chiniguchi loop, open road allowance and if people wanted to run 4x4s up there on the groomed trail, there was nothing to stop them. Not many ever did, but I did see a subaru up there on a busy sat. one time.

Exactly. This section of the D trail goes in for a couple of km before it turns into the "trail". There are a number of cottages/camps along this section. I can assure you I was in my rights to ride this section.

15 minutes ago, Redfire427 said:

Exactly. This section of the D trail goes in for a couple of km before it turns into the "trail". There are a number of cottages/camps along this section. I can assure you I was in my rights to ride this section.

Yup, roads are fine anytime.

Archived