Early snow

WinderFab

I know this snow has guys itching to get out and to have the season start early and that includes me but in central Ontario like the parry sound area if the acrtic air doesn’t move in early the trails will be a mess for the better part of January.

With the amount of rain we had this year/fall the trails have taken a beating, last few weeks I’ve been on the C103D, C102 and C101 and it doesn’t look good, never seen it this bad, theres major water on the trails and deep.

C102 from C103D going south is pretty much 70% or more water and mud, with plenty of areas 2’-3’ deep.

C103D “Seguin trail” is just as bad or worse, going east towards sprucedale on C103D from Nipissing rd is almost impossible on atv due to the water, the worse spot is about 150 yards or more long and 3’ deep or more at deepest spot, I’ve seen guys going through with atvs and it’s not pretty lol, going west from Nipissing rd towards Parry Sound isn’t as bad but it’s still bad enough.

C101 being remotely a bush trail I’ll just say we definitely need arctic air to freeze things up, it’s bad In there, unpassable to say the least.

Nothing against atvs as I also own one but being so wet of a year the atv traffic has taken a toll on the trails, the amount of rocks being exposed gets worse every year, in the last 20 years I’ve been up in the PS area I’ve never seen the trails this rough and so flooded before the start of the sled season, hopefully the weather network is right and we are in for a classic Canadian winter cause we need it.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for update, this is my prime snowmobile tails route, so I'm really worrying  about trail condition this year, like you said we need a blast of cold to make base for a trails or it will be at same condition like last year. I hope for the best    

It will be fine, there is always water on those trails. Particularly c101 and the Seguin in spots like Fabio said. I really haven't noticed it being any worse in the 25 years I've been  up there too. 

I think wet area's are more noticeable because we haven't had the cold in recent years. Look at burkfall's area last winter (gas station was blaming snowmobile club for lost business due to lack of snow on terrain). 

No doubt atv traffic creates deeper tracks and ruts, that will take more time and cold before being able to groom safety. 

I expect a slow start to winter like last year, before cold comes after New Years. Seems to be trend the last few years. 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

I think wet area's are more noticeable because we haven't had the cold in recent years. Look at burkfall's area last winter (gas station was blaming snowmobile club for lost business due to lack of snow on terrain). 

No doubt atv traffic creates deeper tracks and ruts, that will take more time and cold before being able to groom safety. 

I expect a slow start to winter like last year, before cold comes after New Years. Seems to be trend the last few years. 

If what I have heard from one land owner is indeed true it may be happening in more places than just his property. There are indeed a number of ATV riders who get all excited when they see water and mud. Apparently there wasn't enough water and mud on the trail through his property so someone purposely blocked up drainage culverts to purposely flood the trail which typically is fairly dry. It created a section about 200 ft. long and 2 to 3 ft. deep of water and mud. He says there won't be anymore ATV's on his property.

2 hours ago, reevester said:

It will be fine, there is always water on those trails. Particularly c101 and the Seguin in spots like Fabio said. I really haven't noticed it being any worse in the 25 years I've been  up there too. 

I know there’s always water I have a place at the intersection of C103D and C102 and I can tell you it’s worse than any other year since we’ve been up there from early 80’s...

One of the water areas east of Nipissing rd isn’t just a puddle...

8 minutes ago, Fabio said:

I know there’s always water I have a place at the intersection of C103D and C102 and I can tell you it’s worse than any other year since we’ve been up there from early 80’s...

One of the water areas east of Nipissing rd isn’t just a puddle...

Those holes have been there forever on the Seguin. Lots of times it may just be a culvert plugged by beavers. Doom and gloom! 

Fabio your about 6 minutes from me. I'm off 518 on axe lake rd. 

I hope you're right, reevester. You've had a lot of experience in the area, but Fabio also seems to know what he's talking about....

3 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I hope you're right, reevester. You've had a lot of experience in the area, but Fabio also seems to know what he's talking about....

Oh I believe it. There will always be water issues everywhere. The D trail is over a swamp/bog and it always has issues but it still manages to get open. With some cold weather the water will dissipate and freeze, packing with sleds then groomers with help push the frost into the ground. It needs to not rain and be 10c in February and we will all have a good season. 

Yes reevester I’m very familiar with axe lake rd, so we’re neighbors lol...

i know about the holes always being there but this year theres a there’s a huge one just east of Nipissing rd on the C103D, like I said above it’s about 150yards long maybe more and very deep, and the water extendes far beyond both sides, let’s hope it turns out for the best...

31 minutes ago, Fabio said:

Yes reevester I’m very familiar with axe lake rd, so we’re neighbors lol...

i know about the holes always being there but this year theres a there’s a huge one just east of Nipissing rd on the C103D, like I said above it’s about 150yards long maybe more and very deep, and the water extendes far beyond both sides, let’s hope it turns out for the best...

I think it may be just a culvert as that area is swamp on both sides. I'll have a peek Monday on my tours. 

We will have to meet up for a day ride. I'm up a lot in the winter. :cheers:

13 hours ago, Fabio said:

I know this snow has guys itching to get out and to have the season start early and that includes me but in central Ontario like the parry sound area if the acrtic air doesn’t move in early the trails will be a mess for the better part of January.

With the amount of rain we had this year/fall the trails have taken a beating, last few weeks I’ve been on the C103D, C102 and C101 and it doesn’t look good, never seen it this bad, theres major water on the trails and deep.

C102 from C103D going south is pretty much 70% or more water and mud, with plenty of areas 2’-3’ deep.

C103D “Seguin trail” is just as bad or worse, going east towards sprucedale on C103D from Nipissing rd is almost impossible on atv due to the water, the worse spot is about 150 yards or more long and 3’ deep or more at deepest spot, I’ve seen guys going through with atvs and it’s not pretty lol, going west from Nipissing rd towards Parry Sound isn’t as bad but it’s still bad enough.

C101 being remotely a bush trail I’ll just say we definitely need arctic air to freeze things up, it’s bad In there, unpassable to say the least.

Nothing against atvs as I also own one but being so wet of a year the atv traffic has taken a toll on the trails, the amount of rocks being exposed gets worse every year, in the last 20 years I’ve been up in the PS area I’ve never seen the trails this rough and so flooded before the start of the sled season, hopefully the weather network is right and we are in for a classic Canadian winter cause we need it.

Yes Fabio there is a lot of water on the seguin this year and especially just east of nippissing rd at what we call the Seguin bath. Park to Park Pete was out at that spot a couple weeks ago just after those couple of nights that went down to minus 15. He went through it and there actually had almost 2" of ice formed through it. So as long as we get the good deep cold temps it should freeze up. As well there is a culvert there and he did clear it again so just hope and prey for cold temps. 

Sounds good reevester, I’m also up most weekends when I’m not riding with WD and his crew...

Thanks SuperG, now I know the name of that water hole 

1 hour ago, Fabio said:

Sounds good reevester, I’m also up most weekends when I’m not riding with WD and his crew...

Thanks SuperG, now I know the name of that water hole 

That WD is trouble. :evil2:

4 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

I guess us guys riding the super flats here on the western trails will have a great winter with no or very little water:icon_lolsign:

Hopefully district 9 and 5 good good snow for a change. I miss riding my favourite trails thru the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Early snow always gets people anxious to get out and ride. Often those that do fail to follow common sense and the rules causing problems for the clubs and the volunteers. Yesterday the local club in Timmins published a reminder. Hopefully it gets the message out but I just know there will be people who ignore it.

http://www.timminspress.com/2017/12/03/snowmobile-club-issues-reminder-to-riders

“There are currently no open OFSC (Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs) trails in our area,” noted the statement. “The use of OFSC trails prior to being open could result in trespassing offences and may result in land use permissions being revoked.

“The majority of city streets, parks and other areas within the City of Timmins are off-limits to snowmobiles.”

The club also noted that ice on lakes and rivers is unsafe.

Snowmobilers were recently issued warnings after tracks were seen in Hollinger Park and Whitney Cemetery.

“The actions of a few can have huge consequences to many snowmobilers in our area,” noted the club on Facebook. “We have been asked by many snowmobilers to improve street access to trails and we have been working hard to develop a plan with the Timmins Police Service with the hopes of getting city council's approval.

“Receiving word that snowmobiles have been riding through Hollinger Park causing damage to Sk8te Hollinger and riding in a cemetery will not help with this proposal.”

The Timmins Snowmobile Club reminded riders to respect rules, landowners and areas where other outdoor winter sports take place.

“Be patient,” noted the Facebook statement. “There is plenty of winter ahead of us and the trails will be opened as soon as possible.” 

Here's a club working hard with the council to improve road access to the trails and it becomes a real tough sell when people can't follow the rules.

30 cms of snow coming: Trails will be free game for packing if it does come. Just like last year no frost first. 

Radar showing the lake streamers firing up off of Superior now. We really need some frost in the ground. If i remember correctly i rode the seguin and the halibuton forest before xmas last year so theres still hope for an early ride if we get a good amount of lake effect. Here's hoping. Im itching!  

Hopefully the snow off the bay will fizzle for now. We have some significant cold settling in for the next while which can give us some much needed frost first.

31 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Hopefully the snow off the bay will fizzle for now. We have some significant cold settling in for the next while which can give us some much needed frost first.

I hope you are a praying man, because frost would be a miracle. 

D5 might be able to freeze up before any real heavy snow. We’re getting a few week period of neg temps. Cold wind across the fields sucks the moisture out fast. Hope it will stay cold too. 

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

All this means is more people need to get out and take one for the OFSC and "pack the trails" so the cold can make its way further into the nice soft wet ground!

Disclaimer: kindly ensure you notify the local club of your packing efforts before doing so

36 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

-13 next week with minimal snow will help tighten up things

In spots. Looks like it's snowing good in spots already. Just have to pack er down and let the frost get to it. I'll take the next couple weeks temp wise for sure. 

Archived