New Gloves

FrostyTheSnowman

I’m in the market for new gloves. Old leather ones have had the biscuit. Who’s wearing what out their and happy with them?? I have the klim 3.0 glove liner so either the klim or fxr with the 2-3 way system is what I have my eye on. 

I’ve had good luck with the Arctiva gloves. Bought Fxr gloves and hated them hands were always cold .

I have the Klim with the 2 way system. My fingers still get cold. It might just be me. My fingers are always cold. I might try the split mitts. Two fingers in each hole.

Over the years I've spent a small fortune on worn only once gloves varying from mid price to expensive only to find my hands continued to be cold. When I first started riding I bought a pair of mitts and they never let me down on keeping my hands warm so that is what I use. If I need the dexterity of gloves I have an essentially light weight pair of gloves in the tunnel bag which will keep my hands warm enough for whatever I am working on.

This year I bought a pair of Klim Tundra Split Finger gloves (lobster claw) for the coldest days.

I'm stuck on gloves, bike background makes me uncomfortable with more than one finger on the clutch.  Oops. Brake. 

The thicker they are, the more I hate them. I usually wear a VERY thin pair, and let the heaters do their thing. 

Last year's go-to glove:

https://hotpawscanada.com/en/product/mug79954-mens-softshell-glove

3 hours ago, FrostyTheSnowman said:

I’m in the market for new gloves. Old leather ones have had the biscuit. Who’s wearing what out their and happy with them?? I have the klim 3.0 glove liner so either the klim or fxr with the 2-3 way system is what I have my eye on. 

LOL You sound like my grandmother! You'd better watch who you say that around.

I can't help you as I'm still wearing a pair of Reima gloves that I bought years ago.

This is not what I have, but I think might be the warmest set up.

Good set of muffs

Insulate your bars

Thinner pair of gloves 

And some good hand warmers

I have the 2 in 1 Klim, they work well, but for extreme cold, I think the muffs are there way to go.

Klim 2 way gloves  and a couple of hand surgeries  fixed my finger issues . l dry the gloves out any chance l get .

11 hours ago, revrnd said:

LOL You sound like my grandmother! You'd better watch who you say that around.

I can't help you as I'm still wearing a pair of Reima gloves that I bought years ago.

That’s who I got the phrase from. Haha. My grandmother that is. I’m still wearing a pair of Cat leather gloves and they have been great but the palms are beat. 

10 hours ago, coldfinger said:

Klim 2 way gloves  and a couple of hand surgeries  fixed my finger issues . l dry the gloves out any chance l get .

The 2 way system interests me because I have the liners that go with the shell system Klim gloves but I don’t think the just shell type glove and 3.0 liner would be warm enough. Other gloves with full insulation on the palms don’t let the bat warmers heat through the glove and my liners very well. Hands can actually get cold. Waterproof is the main thing I’m after. I’ve read the insulation properties of lots of gloves and 200-250 back of hand and 60-100 palm and fingers is what lots of gloves are. Klim has 200 and 60 and the FXR with the 3 way system has a little more as well as the high gauntlet style option. I’m looking at bar muffs for the really cold stuff as well. You’d think for nearly $200 a pair of gloves should be toasty warm and dry. I’ll have to hit royal to try on a few pairs to see how my liners fit in different ones.

Klim split finger have gauntlet, and 400 grams of insulation on the back. Not sure about the palm.

I buy relatively cheap gloves.  My current pair(s) are a Royal brand that allows you to put a hand warmer pack in the back of the hand.  Here is a link to the catalogue page.  When I bought them, they were on a BOGO sale so they were about $20 per pair.  They have been quite warm for the last two seasons.

Frosty I dry them out when they get damp from sweating  not from outside precipitation  . My only concern about buying expensive items is how long before I loose them . Never seem to loose the cheap stuff.

10 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I buy relatively cheap gloves.  My current pair(s) are a Royal brand that allows you to put a hand warmer pack in the back of the hand.  Here is a link to the catalogue page.  When I bought them, they were on a BOGO sale so they were about $20 per pair.  They have been quite warm for the last two seasons.

Funny you say that because the best pair I had once was a 30$ pair of Kombi from crappy tire. They didn’t last for more than a year but always warm if kept dry. 

Thanks for the input on some ideas. I looked at some Arctiva online as well. Not overly priced and look decent. I’ll try some new gloves to fit at Royal soon. Just picked up a set of Curve XS from Aberfoyle a few weeks ago. Need to install them and a different primary clutch spring to smooth out the engagement from Speedwerx  is on order as well. I’m hoping for a decent winter in the south this year. 

I have the klim "2 way gloves" they didn't last half a season. always dealt with cold fingers. Switched up to the motorfist sub zero leather gloves. Amazing. Cant beat leather IMO.

On 2017-11-20 at 9:56 PM, higshemi said:

I have the klim "2 way gloves" they didn't last half a season. always dealt with cold fingers. Switched up to the motorfist sub zero leather gloves. Amazing. Cant beat leather IMO.

I just picked up a pair of the Sub Zero from Aberfoyle this morning. My last pair were leather and lasted for years so I figured I’d go with leather again. Nice gloves from Motorfist. F8002EE8-CA6E-4730-B562-AA5DA91CAF0A.thumb.jpeg.a460813d1c0375a0be3ac9e5998dd918.jpeg

I've tried so many pairs of gloves I've lost track. Some expensive and some not so expensive. I've almost always gone with leather, 90% of the time, and never found a pair that keep my hands warm. The palm of the hands have always been fine but the fingers from the knuckles down have always been a problem. That's why I use mitts. If it had of been a better season last year and I had of been able to get more riding in I would likely have gotten a set of muffs for the days cold enough that my fingers would get cold. I do prefer the added dexterity that the gloves provide.

One of my pet peeves for my sled especially when using mitts is being able to put the sled in reverse. The reverse button is recessed and the button too small to engage with the thumb almost all of the time. Usually I have to take the mitt off to go in or out of reverse.

I know what you’re saying with the reverse button on the Cats. Being in the south, leathers are more than sufficient. When I go further north and the temps are in extreme lows I’ll go with some handle bar muffs if I need to get some. I’ve got the lxr midscreen on and it helps a lot better than the stock 11”. I picked up a JT stealth 4 wheel kit, Handlebar bag, clutch puller bolt and alignment bar today as well as a set of Curve XS to be installed still AND a Speedwerx lighter initial rate primary spring to smoothen out the engagement a bit from the stock factory one which is very aggressive on mine. I’ve got some wrenching to do in the next few weeks or so. 

20 years ago I bought 2 pairs of the Choko cordura claw mitts. Back then the interior glove had separated fingers which helped keep the fingers warm.  Couple of years ago they wore out so I bought new ones the same.  They have claw inner gloves now and are nowhere near as warm as the old ones were.  Not to mention that they had a sizing issue and the mediums were too small while large were actually x-large size. 

Finally our accessories lady got on the horn and I ended up with Large leather claws that had the same finger separation as the old ones. Love them. Pricey though, but I'm sooo done with cheap stuff. 

These have a significant amount of insulation that you can really feel. The large is on the small side. They’ll break in and stretch a bit. Things will slowly start to freeze around here in the next  few weeks and the sled will be ready to go. 

I like fxr mits. I get leather ones. Nothing beats them on a cold day. 

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 12:33 PM, FrostyTheSnowman said:

I just picked up a pair of the Sub Zero from Aberfoyle this morning. My last pair were leather and lasted for years so I figured I’d go with leather again. Nice gloves from Motorfist. F8002EE8-CA6E-4730-B562-AA5DA91CAF0A.thumb.jpeg.a460813d1c0375a0be3ac9e5998dd918.jpeg

Great choice!!

Just bought the FXR all leather gloves ($130ish rom Royal).  I too have been through all kinds and prices of gloves.  Can't seem to find any that work very well.  Hoping the ALL LEATHER will make a difference.  Otherwise I just bought another set of overpriced snow blowing gloves ....again. 

17 minutes ago, Grimmer said:

Just bought the FXR all leather gloves ($130ish rom Royal).  I too have been through all kinds and prices of gloves.  Can't seem to find any that work very well.  Hoping the ALL LEATHER will make a difference.  Otherwise I just bought another set of overpriced snow blowing gloves ....again. 

Welcome to the club. I have a duffle bag full of all kinds of gloves including leather that just haven't been warm enough for me. I keep going back to my now old and starting to look tired mitts but they do keep the hands warm.

Archived