Couple of Gaspesie Questions

whits-end

We're considering another couples tour thru Gaspesie this year.  This time with a weird criss-cross route to see more of the interior.  Has anyone stayed in the Cabano area?  Any issues with Trail 548 from Cabano to Rimouski? 

How 'bout 595 from Sainte Anne Des Monts to New Richmond?  Looks about 300 kms.  Our ladies are quite capable of that distance on a good trail, but will the terrain slow us down too much?  Typically we ride 3 hrs in the am and 3-4 hrs in the pm.  How about fuel?  Our map only shows one spot.

Total trip looks like 2200-2300 kms on our proposed route.  Again, not a problem for our riders, but from experience we know weather and terrain can have a big effect.

Thanks for your input.

whit

We've been around and through Gaspe a number of times. Never stayed in Cabano but have stayed south of there at Deglise (just north of N.B. border). Its scenic country. 

Not sure of trail 548 since I can't find it on the QC interactive map.

595 from trail 5  ( a signifigant distance east of Sainte Anne de Monts) to New Richmond is nice trail. Pretty sure it is mostly good road used for trail in the winter. You are correct about only one place for fuel at LaCache. Its about 10 km. north of the trail 80 junction . Last time we were there it consisted  a very old house with a fuel tank outside and the only thing available food wise was chocolate bars. You need to verify that they will be open or you will likely be in trouble fuel wise.  Also, I believe there has been years where the road/ trail north from New Richmond was used for logging so you might want to check that out as well.

If you get the opportunity to ride from Murdockville to LaCache (Trail 80), I would strongly recommend it. It is a very scenic mountain trail worth seeing if the weather is good and it has been groomed since the last major snowfall.

You probably already use the following link http://quebectrails.com/?page_id=74 but it is about the best info. that I have found for up to date conditions in Gaspe.

Good luck and enjoy your ride.

6 hours ago, whits-end said:

We're considering another couples tour thru Gaspesie this year.  This time with a weird criss-cross route to see more of the interior.  Has anyone stayed in the Cabano area?  Any issues with Trail 548 from Cabano to Rimouski? 

How 'bout 595 from Sainte Anne Des Monts to New Richmond?  Looks about 300 kms.  Our ladies are quite capable of that distance on a good trail, but will the terrain slow us down too much?  Typically we ride 3 hrs in the am and 3-4 hrs in the pm.  How about fuel?  Our map only shows one spot.

Total trip looks like 2200-2300 kms on our proposed route.  Again, not a problem for our riders, but from experience we know weather and terrain can have a big effect.

Thanks for your input.

whit

When are you planning on going? we will be there from Mid Feb for 10 days of riding, Going to do a similar route and make sure we get to most of the interior trails as well.  Let me know your dates would be nice to meet up with some fellow OC'ers on the trip.

Cabano is a real neat area for trails and the town itself . That was our staging area .

Thanks guys.

Coldfinger- We are considering staying one night in Cabano.  Any recommendations?

Nunz- Looks like we won't meet there, we're looking at either Feb 23 or Mar 2 as our departures from home.

PLC- I was looking at a paper map 'Bas-Saint-Laurent 2016' which showed Trail 548.  New Quebec ITG calls it Trail 35.  Looks like a fairly major trail.

Thanks for the info on Trail 595, kinda confirms some concerns we had.

Motel Royal   basic clean warm rooms ,owner was very personable , restaurant  short walk less than 5 min. easy trail access . The trail south of Cabano was like no other in a good way . 

1 hour ago, whits-end said:

Thanks guys.

Coldfinger- We are considering staying one night in Cabano.  Any recommendations?

Nunz- Looks like we won't meet there, we're looking at either Feb 23 or Mar 2 as our departures from home.

PLC- I was looking at a paper map 'Bas-Saint-Laurent 2016' which showed Trail 548.  New Quebec ITG calls it Trail 35.  Looks like a fairly major trail.

Thanks for the info on Trail 595, kinda confirms some concerns we had.

Trail 35 is a major trail and we have travelled it many times all the way from south of Quebec City. Typically kept as good as trail 5 and I don't think it see's as much traffic as 5.

If you do get near Grand Vallee on the north shore be sure to stay or at least eat at Hotel Motel Grand Valllee des Monts. Very clean accommodations and awesome food.

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Trail 35 is a major trail and we have travelled it many times all the way from south of Quebec City. Typically kept as good as trail 5 and I don't think it see's as much traffic as 5.

If you do get near Grand Vallee on the north shore be sure to stay or at least eat at Hotel Motel Grand Vallee des Monts. Very clean accommodations and awesome food.

X 2 ... we've stayed there on both of our Gaspe tours, and highly recommend it.  The accommodation is not "fancy", but it is spotless and very comfortable.  Because the place is owned by a chef, the food is outstanding.  :right_on:

On 11/15/2017 at 7:09 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If you do get near Grand Vallee on the north shore be sure to stay or at least eat at Hotel Motel Grand Valllee des Monts. Very clean accommodations and awesome food.

On 11/15/2017 at 10:13 PM, irREVerent said:

X 2 ... we've stayed there on both of our Gaspe tours, and highly recommend it.  The accommodation is not "fancy", but it is spotless and very comfortable.  Because the place is owned by a chef, the food is outstanding.  :right_on:

Fantastic food.  Only one hairdryer at a time, though :lmao:

I recall needing the conair one year on many occasions for one of the Doo's on the trip.....each time we checked in, we had to make sure the place had a hair dryer to get the Doo going the next morning :lmao:

But man, was that ever an awesome trip that year though!

1 hour ago, SlowTouringGuy said:

Blow dry your hair or start your Yamaha. 

Haven't needed a blow dryer to start our Yamahas in the very cold since we installed the solid state relay a couple winters back.

@whits-end and others

We are a newb couple and would like/planning to do the Gaspesie tour, if there is room would like to join a group as we've never been that way. (We have driven the Gaspesie loop in the summer though.) we are for the most part flexible on the dates at this early time. Would like to know more details though. Note, we are not fast riders, enjoy the outdoors kind of riders.

Archived