Sault Ste. Marie - Area

Dan-Senior

Great photos and write-up Chris.  Looks like you guys had an awesome time.  Thanks for Sharing.

On another note, I lost my GPS either at the Patton Lake landing or on the D106 towards Aubrey.  If you happen to spot a Garmin GPS in your future travels, its likely mine.  It fell out of my pocket when I stopped or when we loaded up to come back home.

Dan

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, AC+YA said:

That entire area is fantastic with the feel of being way back in the wilderness.  Just wish the weather would be more favorable for this beautiful area as it seemed to be years past.

Love being able to ride the north shore and go to St Joseph & Drummond Island  for overnights and then run from the Soo to Elliot Lake with no snow issues.  The D106 is a beauty.  No gas in Searchmont has really hurt the area for family riding.  D201F makes a good loop out of it too.  Great pictures. 

So true!!!

I still haven’t rode the new(ish) Aubrey Falls/ Searchmont loop as a result of the lack of fuel in Searchmont. It’s about 55 miles to AF from the cabin, and 40 to Searchmont from the cabin, so the last thing guys want to do is possibly run out. I honesty would guess I can just make it from AF to Searchmont, and back to the cabin, but it would be close. That’s not counting the 3gal in my jerry can in case someone else needed fuel.

9 minutes ago, F8 EXT said:

So true!!!

I still haven’t rode the new(ish) Aubrey Falls/ Searchmont loop as a result of the lack of fuel in Searchmont. It’s about 55 miles to AF from the cabin, and 40 to Searchmont from the cabin, so the last thing guys want to do is possibly run out. I honesty would guess I can just make it from AF to Searchmont, and back to the cabin, but it would be close. That’s not counting the 3gal in my jerry can in case someone else needed fuel.

The next time you go try parking in Searchmont and leave a few 5 gallon cans of gas in your trailer so you have a gas station there.  I leave mine at the Driftwood and keep extra so give good snow conditions, I can play in the area and have no worries.  We usually carry extra and we go from Goulias River to Black Creek or Halfway or Bruce Mines without ever stopping at the trailer.  Maybe next year we can have a north shore good ice and snow year.  Hopping on the ice in Spanish and blasting to White Fish Falls, Little Current, or Gore Bay on Manitoulin Island are great memories.  When customs on Drummond is keeping decent hours we love to jump over there too.  A few years back we took advantage of the last season the F Trail was open and included a night at Flame Lake.  We even made it all the way back to Goulias River from Flame Lake using the D201F.  We last got gas at Black Creek because Flame Lake had the pumps shut down by the TSSA, so it was Black Creek to Flame Lake and cut back across the D201F all the way to GR without any gas except a couple gallons we were carrying with us.  It was close.  I missed Elliot Lake this year and only made it to Black Creek.

It is a great sector of riding when the snow comes and the ice is good.

AC+YA

We would consider leaving a truck with some gas cans in Searchmont, but I would guess it’s at least 2 hours from the cabin depending on the road conditions. We are out in the bush near Bass Lk and Carpenter Lk, and it takes at least 1 hour to get from the Soo to the cabin, longer if the roads aren't the best. 

I finally have my jerry can set up set up on my sled. Think this is V3 (lol), and I think it’s the winner. Adapting it to the tunnel rails of my F8 EXT worked out great!!! Easily removed if needed. So I’m set, just need to convince other to carry some fuel.

TY for the idea though!!! 

And it sounds like you guys are all over the place up there which is awesome!!! I have been only going up a handful of years now, but the older guys who still trail ride don’t like to go as far as they used to. They are happy with 100-150 miles in a day, and back in camp for a nice dinner. I like to joke that we go up to eat, and snowmobiling is a bonus!!! :)

It seems the jerk from the tssa shut down a lot of mom and pop stations!!! :( The hoops that Black Creek said they had to jump through was ridiculous!!! 

19 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

Great photos and write-up Chris.  Looks like you guys had an awesome time.  Thanks for Sharing.

On another note, I lost my GPS either at the Patton Lake landing or on the D106 towards Aubrey.  If you happen to spot a Garmin GPS in your future travels, its likely mine.  It fell out of my pocket when I stopped or when we loaded up to come back home.

Dan

Dan,

TY!!! I missed your post earlier somehow, sorry!!!

We did have a good trip, even with the secondary mishap of my buddy’s sled. But it all worked out!!!

You mentioned possibly the landing on Patten Lk, are you referring to the boat launch? Or coming off Chipman Lk? Could it be anywhere along the trail between Patten and Aubrey Falls? Or was there a spot on the way there you noticed it was gone?

I will try to send a text to a couple of the guys who are still up there asking them to keep their eyes open. Cell service is very iffy, so hopefully it will go through.

there will be trail snow for sure but, town, gas, food, parking lots, and road crossings will be bare... plus temps for the next 4 days. Ski

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/weather/ontario/sault-ste-marie

also, limiting yourself to ride from the soo proper, hurts where you HAVE to ride to and from. are you planning on long loop riding or day riding. we can point you in the right direction for a "better trip" options. Ski

1 hour ago, Dmarks said:

We have never been there and this was a hotel recommended to us . We are riding to and from each day. 

A group of three of us just finished a fantastic 3 day trip out of Searchmont, based on the advise of ski and others on this forum. By limiting yourselves to day trips out of SSM, I fear you are really compromising the spring riding experience. We had great snow conditions from Searchmont to Wawa, White River, Dubreuilville and back, but still ran some bare pavement and slush. In previous years early march would not be considered "Spring", but this year the sun and warm temps are burning through the snow now in places.  Good luck with your trip, but if you could become "saddle baggers" you would be much better off.

Any updates on this area? Snow in the forecast so here’s hoping. Has anyone rode the trail from the Fairfield inn? I just bought a new sled so I’m going to baby it for a bit and don’t really want to wreck it

1 hour ago, Dmarks said:

Any updates on this area? Snow in the forecast so here’s hoping. Has anyone rode the trail from the Fairfield inn? I just bought a new sled so I’m going to baby it for a bit and don’t really want to wreck it

How old does it have to be until you are willing to wreck it?  :D Just kidding... I know what you mean.

Definitely interested in a weather/trail update as a buddy and I (possibly another buddy) are kicking around the crazy idea of heading up probably next w/e. Doubt it will be this w/e.

Not sure if we would stay the night in the Soo or Searchmont, but considering riding to WaWa from there the next morning. Riding around WaWa for a day, then ride back to the truck.

What is the mileage from Searchmont to Halfway Haven? From HH to WaWa? 

Or maybe stay at Halfway???

Any suggestions on staying at HH or WaWa? We’ve never been north from the Soo toward HH.

At this rate I should just start buying an extra early season permit!!! Lol

TY!!!

12 minutes ago, F8 EXT said:

Definitely interested in a weather/trail update as a buddy and I (possibly another buddy) are kicking around the crazy idea of heading up probably next w/e. Doubt it will be this w/e.

Not sure if we would stay the night in the Soo or Searchmont, but considering riding to WaWa from there the next morning. Riding around WaWa for a day, then ride back to the truck.

Any suggestions on staying at HH or WaWa? We’ve never been north from the Soo toward HH.

TY!!!

About 90 miles to Halfway and another 70 to Wawa from there.  About 65 back to Chapleau if you would go that way sometime.

3 hours ago, F8 EXT said:

TY!!!

Having just completed a great ride in the area, I was a little surprised at the milages. From Driftwood Valley Chalets in Searchmont to Halfway, I had 141 km. From Halfway to Wawa was 90 km, not the over 100 depicted on the district map. Returning south from Dubreuilville directly to Serchmont was 320 km, via Wawa 5 which as 1049 said earlier, saves about 20 km. A new visitor to the Wawa area is not very likely to find Trail 5, except by GPS, however, as it is poorly, or not at all, marked. That may be strategic.

I can only reiterate the recommendation that I accepted from many OCers - if you must stay in SSM, at least trailer out to Searchmont to stage your sledding. 

Hi DMarks,

I'll jump in here and give you some updates.  Due to several days of sunshine, including today, the trail into the FairField Inn is in bad shape.  All 7 intersection / driveway crossings are down to gravel or pavement.  Although the club has done a great job in putting together this trail link, mother-nature prevails.

Attached is a photo of the remaining good section (straight stretch).  

It will be a trailer run for you and your crew unless a blizzard arrives.  If you are looking for full-day rides, I'd recommend you trailer to Searchmont.  If you are looking for a full-day local ride, then trailer to Connor Road parking lot (North-East section of City - Outskirts).

Hope this helps.

Dan

ind-park.jpg

Dan,

No one found your gps at the lake.

Sorry.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:14 AM, F8 EXT said:

Dan,

No one found your gps at the lake.

Sorry.

Thanks for having your friends check Chris. Much appreciated  

I suspect it will be a Spring 2018 find by an ATV'r

3 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

Thanks for having your friends check Chris. Much appreciated  

I suspect it will be a Spring 2018 find by an ATV'r

YW!!!

Hopefully you find it!!! 

They said they looked, but didn’t see anything.

Well,

Looks like if one more trip is possible, it won’t be until the w/e of the 23-25 due to things going on at home.

Hopefully the trails will still be good from Searchmont north in a couple weeks!!!

drove through the soo yesterday, glad I don't have to ride through town. the town proper, snow took a beating. hotels, fuel, road crossings, and plowed sections are TOAST. really glad I can ride right from my door right now, in dubreuilville.

trailering to the trail heads daily, or staying at a spot like searchmont (no fuel) at driftwood valley chalets, would be ALOT BETTER OPTION, if you don't want to "hurt" your sleds. Ski

• 3 weeks later...

Sault Ste. Marie

Fresh Powder throughout the Sault and Searchmont today.  Our friends Chad and Bob are at Searchmont out for a ride.  Still plenty of snow north of the city.

I look forward to their report when they return tonight.

Photos courtesy of Sootoday.com

sault-3.jpg

sault-2.jpg

sault-1.jpg

they were calling for 15cm, how much do you think you received dan? thanks for the updates all winter, really keeps us up to date on the snow conditions. probably heading to dubreuilville next week, for the weekend. if we do go, we have been riding at least a weekend a month for 5 months. Ski

On 4/1/2018 at 7:52 AM, skidooboy said:

they were calling for 15cm, how much do you think you received dan? thanks for the updates all winter, really keeps us up to date on the snow conditions. probably heading to dubreuilville next week, for the weekend. if we do go, we have been riding at least a weekend a month for 5 months. Ski

That's amazing Ski, 5 months of sledding.  You are having a great year!  Sounds like your home investment in Dub is adding quality-of-life for you and the crew.

We received 15cms of snow in the Sault.  Searchmont was 20cm.  Our friends Chad and Bob sledded from Searchmont to Halfway Haven and back and Saturday. Said the trails were mint.

Should be nice riding waiting for you this upcoming week or weekend.

A photo from my front door this morning. I'm located in the city centre, where snow is not near a much as compared to north of the Sault.

Dan

SSM

city.jpg

On 4/1/2018 at 7:52 AM, skidooboy said:

Dubreuilville Monday morning April 2nd in the picture. 

Rode over 500 miles this past weekend. 

Went back to Longlac with Paige. Just straight from Hornepayne to Longlac.  Same on the way back. Saw Matt and Dennis & Dorris. The trails were so hard that I made it on a tank of fuel no problem.  Paige’s sled with the Suzuki 800 probably would have made it, but was down to one bar 20 miles out so we put a gallon in her machine. 

The Soo had lots of tracks from the weekend yesterday but was burning off again. 

Lots of riding out of town, but road sections are burned off.  

Scratchers were needed by most this past weekend in Dubreuilville and north because no snow up there until an inch or two early Monday morning. 

Missed you again Ski. 

AB6B7FAF-87A3-41C5-8959-CE1852B64E94.jpeg

4B64748A-A15D-44DE-AE3D-43A87D97B69B.jpeg

A8D1262B-95BB-47DE-8053-05CE03CDCEBC.jpeg

BF300A96-2AE1-4034-9925-33398C4676E3.jpeg

Archived