Sault Ste. Marie - Area

Dan-Senior

I was there last weekend , left from  Fairfield inn and went to Wawa then to dub and back to the soo . Great riding Friday to early Sunday . Perfectly  groomed trials. Then got to warm on Sunday  , things got beat up on way back to soo after searchmont. Going back this weekend for more great ridding .Have to say the clubs do a very good job .

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12 Lake Cross-Country Run

Today, Chad and I enjoyed a 12 Lake Cross-Country run, leaving from Heyden (Just north of the Sault).  I purposely walked through the bush at Northland Lake and it was close to 60 cms deep.  Lakes are solid with no slush.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Heyden Cross Country 1.jpg

Looks sweet:rolleyes:

Paramuir,

The Fairfield INN hotel and Ambassador Motel in the Sault have trails to the door.  These places you can keep your vehicle overnight.    Many will trailer to Searchmont and park at Driftwood Lodge on the Whitman Dam road (make arrangements), then ride from there.  If you are day-riding, just park at the Whitman Dam road parking lot (unsecured area).  You can't miss it, there's usually 10-40 vehicles there at any given time, which depends on weekdays or weekends.  As for travel time, it varies on your riding style, however Halfway Haven, Aubrey Falls / Black Creek, Chapleau, Wawa, Dubreuilville are achievable in one day.  

Leaving from Searchmont, Day-return trips to and from Halfway Haven OR Chapleau OR Aubrey Falls / Black Creek are doable. If you are sledding directly from the Sault, add 2 hours each way (4 hours).  Get fuel in Goulais, there is no fuel in Searchmont AND carry spare fuel if leaving from the Sault.

Dan-Senior

Dubreuilville then Chapleau the next night 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

UPDATES

I thought I would jump in and provide updates for everyone.  Winter is still in full swing here in Sault Ste. Marie / Searchmont as we have not been affected by any meltdown.  On average there's about 50 cms of snow locally on the ground and and as much as 100 cms inland at higher elevations.

Here's Searchmont's 7 Day Weather Forecast. 

Enjoy your weekend.

Dan

snow.jpg

My wife and I went for dinner tonight in our sister city, Sault Ste. Marie Michigan. 

Between the Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn and the Best Western, there's 200+ sleds in the parking lots and / or in Trailers.  

Most hotels in town are booked.

Snowmobiling in Sault Ste. Marie - This Afternoon

One of the many features I enjoy about Sault Ste. Marie is the quick proximity to wilderness.  This afternoon at 12:30 pm, we start our 12 lake cross-country trip, which is only 10 minutes north of the city.  

Included is my SPOT link below, which STARTS at 12:30 pm.  Its a sunny day in the Sault, so we are taking advantage of the balmy -2 weather.

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0LIK03QlMcf7gmPiFQKcBHtS3QqEaVytE

Photo courtesy of Water Tower Inn Skycam & Sootday.com news

Dan

Water Tower Inn.jpg

Thanks for weather ( and trail ) update.

Go light on the throttle from Goulais to Halfway Haven. The Yamaha Apex in our group was at the end of it's range on that route last year  ( we pushed snow throughout the day, as I recall .

"Get fuel in Goulais, there is no fuel in Searchmont AND carry spare fuel if leaving from the Sault."

Dan,

A huge Thank you for the update!!!

There is fuel now in Hayden also, correct? If so, we’ll probably fill up there compared to trying to trying to fill up in GR. Unless the station just off the river in GR has reopened.

We leave this Thu evening to head up for the guys trip!!! Can’t wait!!!

The gas at The Zone is shortest distance to Halfway.  The store on the river is closed and done. 

Sunday Afternoon Ride

A video I took yesterday north of the city.  It provides a visual of our current snow conditions.  Heyden is located just 10 minutes north of Sault Ste. Marie in the Snowbelt and is a winter-wonderland for Sledders and Anglers alike.

We started at 12:30 p.m. and were back home for dinner at 5:30 pm.

Dan

18 hours ago, AC+YA said:

The gas at The Zone is shortest distance to Halfway.  The store on the river is closed and done. 

Figured the river station was still closed.

The furthest north we venture is Searchmont. We have a camp near the Bass Lk/ Carpenter Lk area.

Hopefully we will finally ride the Aubrey Falls / Searchmont trail. Some in our group has, but I still haven’t rode it yet!!! The lack of fuel in Searchmont has stopped us.

Hopefully the trails hold up with the current warm up. Looks like the Thessalon/ Iron Bridge area is yellow now.... 

TY again and Thu evening can’t get here quick enough!!! 

Fresh Powder Overnight

More snow arrived overnight in Sault Ste. Marie, making for another great day of riding opportunities north of the City.

Snowdepth is between 50-75 cms on average and well past 100 cms closer to Wawa.

I stopped in at the Water Tower Inn this morning for coffee. 

Dan

watertowerinn-feb-28.jpg

looks great Thank's for updates.

We had a great time on the guys trip!!!

Got to cabin about 11pm Thu night. 

Fri took a ride up to Black Creek after hauling all the dry goods and a few other things across the lake. We can’t just drive up to the cabin, no road access.

Then Sat it was back up to Aubrey Falls.

Sun we did the Heyden, GR, Searchmont loop. Buddy had some clutch issues so I towed him into the Soo and ended up leaving his sled at the house of the owner of Batman Plumbing. An awesome guy for helping a few crazy Americans out!!! Then after having a mishap with my other buddy’s doo jerry can when we dropped my one buddy’s broke down sled off, he found it on the trail and took it back to his house!!! Had made it to the Zone before noticing the gas caddy was gone. So back to the soo we went after filling up. We finally finished the loop, getting back to the cabin about 11pm I think it was... due to having my buddy in the back of my sled.

Mon my buddy was able to have Northshore Sports fix his sled, and out of there by 12 or 1ish!!! Absolutely awesome customer service!!! I stayed and rode, up to Horner Lk, then we off trailed it back down south, towards Bruce Mines. 

Tue was a quick ride up to a Searchmont and back. Then loaded up and pulled out of the parking lot by 4pm for the trip back to “reality”.

The trails were awesome!!! It was my one buddy’s first time riding in D13. We got on the 106 from the cabin, and when we got down to the stop sign where you turn left to head toward Carpenter Lk, I asked what he thought so far.... He ask: “ Is this the trail??? It’s awesome!!! It’s so smooth!!!” And the look on his face was priceless!!! 

We didn’t head further south to Bruce Mines,Iron Bridge, Thessalon area due to the trails possible being marginal and the weather being warmer.

With the mishap journey on Sunday, I ended up with 684 miles for the trip. 

Thank You to all for the trail uodates!!!

And a Huge Thank You to all the groomers and volunteers!!!

BAE9BFDE-EA9C-43C3-8A13-9D7091DD71B3.jpeg

47536EAA-C628-4BDF-B988-4E94C559575B.jpeg

BF6C4DD4-7FA0-43DE-B5E9-844A9841511B.jpeg

56A1F136-6C99-45B6-9EA5-903119E1BC87.jpeg

1 hour ago, F8 EXT said:

We had a great time on the guys trip!!!

Got to cabin about 11pm Thu night. 

Fri took a ride up to Black Creek after hauling all the dry goods and a few other things across the lake. We can’t just drive up to the cabin, no road access.

Then Sat it was back up to Aubrey Falls.

Sun we did the Heyden, GR, Searchmont loop. Buddy had some clutch issues so I towed him into the Soo and ended up leaving his sled at the house of the owner of Batman Plumbing. An awesome guy for helping a few crazy Americans out!!! Then after having a mishap with my other buddy’s doo jerry can when we dropped my one buddy’s broke down sled off, he found it on the trail and took it back to his house!!! Had made it to the Zone before noticing the gas caddy was gone. So back to the soo we went after filling up. We finally finished the loop, getting back to the cabin about 11pm I think it was... due to having my buddy in the back of my sled.

Mon my buddy was able to have Northshore Sports fix his sled, and out of there by 12 or 1ish!!! Absolutely awesome customer service!!! I stayed and rode, up to Horner Lk, then we off trailed it back down south, towards Bruce Mines. 

Tue was a quick ride up to a Searchmont and back. Then loaded up and pulled out of the parking lot by 4pm for the trip back to “reality”.

The trails were awesome!!! It was my one buddy’s first time riding in D13. We got on the 106 from the cabin, and when we got down to the stop sign where you turn left to head toward Carpenter Lk, I asked what he thought so far.... He ask: “ Is this the trail??? It’s awesome!!! It’s so smooth!!!” And the look on his face was priceless!!! 

We didn’t head further south to Bruce Mines,Iron Bridge, Thessalon area due to the trails possible being marginal and the weather being warmer.

With the mishap journey on Sunday, I ended up with 684 miles for the trip. 

Thank You to all for the trail uodates!!!

And a Huge Thank You to all the groomers and volunteers!!!

BAE9BFDE-EA9C-43C3-8A13-9D7091DD71B3.jpeg

47536EAA-C628-4BDF-B988-4E94C559575B.jpeg

BF6C4DD4-7FA0-43DE-B5E9-844A9841511B.jpeg

56A1F136-6C99-45B6-9EA5-903119E1BC87.jpeg

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.  Nice cabin also.

18 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.  Nice cabin also.

Thank you and your welcome!!!

Thank you, it’s my in-laws cabin.

2 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Awesome spot. Keep that one in the family if you guys can. Nice..

Thank you!!!

We definitely hope to!!!

That entire area is fantastic with the feel of being way back in the wilderness.  Just wish the weather would be more favorable for this beautiful area as it seemed to be years past.

Love being able to ride the north shore and go to St Joseph & Drummond Island  for overnights and then run from the Soo to Elliot Lake with no snow issues.  The D106 is a beauty.  No gas in Searchmont has really hurt the area for family riding.  D201F makes a good loop out of it too.  Great pictures. 

Archived