Let's see some pictures of snow!!

Baylaker

10 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

global warming i guess:o

:D:brr:  global warming was the buzz phrase but as the predictions fizzled and research grants diminished the newer buzz phrase of climate change came out. As those predictions fizzled and research grants have again started to diminish the latest is now EXTREME WEATHER. Gotta keep up with the times you know.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

:D:brr:  global warming was the buzz phrase but as the predictions fizzled and research grants diminished the newer buzz phrase of climate change came out. As those predictions fizzled and research grants have again started to diminish the latest is now EXTREME WEATHER. Gotta keep up with the times you know.

Are you seriously denouncing global warming? It is widely accepted in the general and scientific community and there is lots of evidence to support the hypothesis that our impact on the planet is affecting the climate. Just because you have one very cold snowy year does not mean that averages still aren't rising. 3 of our last 6 years have been particularly bad for sledding.

17 minutes ago, ChrisSleds said:

Are you seriously denouncing global warming? It is widely accepted in the general and scientific community and there is lots of evidence to support the hypothesis that our impact on the planet is affecting the climate. Just because you have one very cold snowy year does not mean that averages still aren't rising. 3 of our last 6 years have been particularly bad for sledding.

How far back does the data go where this "history" is being used - what was the first year data was collected?

I am sure there are unnatural things happening that create side affects, silly to suggest otherwise, but exactly how much of it is to blame for the drastic patterns we are seeing.....the more these groups can blame on us, the more financial gain they will see.

Not suggesting that we turn a blind eye and be completely careless to mother earth either....

21 minutes ago, stoney said:

How far back does the data go where this "history" is being used - what was the first year data was collected?

I am sure there are unnatural things happening that create side affects, silly to suggest otherwise, but exactly how much of it is to blame for the drastic patterns we are seeing.....the more these groups can blame on us, the more financial gain they will see.

Not suggesting that we turn a blind eye and be completely careless to mother earth either....

It goes back as far as carbon dating goes back, so as long as there is a relic from that time they can determine the carbon density in the atmosphere for that era.

6 minutes ago, ChrisSleds said:

It goes back as far as carbon dating goes back, so as long as there is a relic from that time they can determine the carbon density in the atmosphere for that era.

and you also know carbon dating isn't 100% accurate as well

51 minutes ago, ChrisSleds said:

Are you seriously naïve enough to think that man has a lot of influence over the weather. We may contribute to global warming, climate change, extreme weather but in a very small way. Cycles in nature are far more than what man perceives as a long time.

Where was man's influence when Toronto and points south were covered with more than 1.5 miles thick of ice and snow. I guess that global cooling was man's fault and the subsequent warming when the ice retreated creating the Great Lakes. Or perhaps the freezing of Antarctica was man's fault as well. Antarctica was once tropical based on the vegetation that has been found encased in the ice.

Global warming... the sky is falling. We are all going to be fried from the UV rays and the holes in the Ozone layer. OOOPS they don't know why but the ozone layer miraculously heeled itself. When's the last time we heard anything about that one. Or New York city being submerged. That was to happen.... what 18 years ago.

We can pollute less, no doubt but there isn't any way ever we are going to stop nature from doing whatever it wants just like the retreat of the last ice age we didn't have any influence on. That's right LAST ice age. There have been at least 5 major ice ages in the history of the earth.  The end of each of those must have been marked by global warming that must have been caused by man.

7 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Are you seriously naïve enough to think that man has a lot of influence over the weather. We may contribute to global warming, climate change, extreme weather but in a very small way. Cycles in nature are far more than what man perceives as a long time.

Where was man's influence when Toronto and points south were covered with more than 1.5 miles thick of ice and snow. I guess that global cooling was man's fault and the subsequent warming when the ice retreated creating the Great Lakes. Or perhaps the freezing of Antarctica was man's fault as well. Antarctica was once tropical based on the vegetation that has been found encased in the ice.

Global warming... the sky is falling. We are all going to be fried from the UV rays and the holes in the Ozone layer. OOOPS they don't know why but the ozone layer miraculously heeled itself. When's the last time we heard anything about that one. Or New York city being submerged. That was to happen.... what 18 years ago.

We can pollute less, no doubt but there isn't any way ever we are going to stop nature from doing whatever it wants just like the retreat of the last ice age we didn't have any influence on. That's right LAST ice age. There have been at least 5 major ice ages in the history of the earth.  The end of each of those must have been marked by global warming that must have been caused by man.

Sigh... there is no getting through to people like you. The fact that you think 7 billion people cannot have an influence on a planet pains me. People much smarter than you or I think otherwise but we'll leave the fate of the earth up to what 02Sleds "feels". I'll let you think you won this with your long and irrelevant post. Goodbye.

Ok boys take it down a notch.

If I remember correctly we had this debate last year with nobody the clear winner.

Get off your computer's and go sledding

11 minutes ago, ChrisSleds said:

Sigh... there is no getting through to people like you. The fact that you think 7 billion people cannot have an influence on a planet pains me. People much smarter than you or I think otherwise but we'll leave the fate of the earth up to what 02Sleds "feels". I'll let you think you won this with your long and irrelevant post. Goodbye.

My opinion is just as relevant as yours. See ya....

5 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

My opinion is just as relevant as yours. See ya....

Mine is not an opinion it is backed by hard evidence. Do us all a favor and read this. https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/ I know you will just deny it and reference some BS theory from some right-wing propaganda source as your evidence but maybe, just maybe it will get through to you and the world will be a slightly better place.

10 minutes ago, ChrisSleds said:

Mine is not an opinion it is backed by hard evidence. Do us all a favor and read this. https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/ I know you will just deny it and reference some BS theory from some right-wing propaganda source as your evidence but maybe, just maybe it will get through to you and the world will be a slightly better place.

I've seen it before. It goes back 400,000 years

Scientists have calculated that Earth is 4.54 billion years old, with an error range of 50 million years. Pretty sizable error range so the science isn't fool proof. 400,000 years could be just one climate cycle in the history of the planet. Especially when you're looking at something with 4.5B years to look back on.

6 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I've seen it before. It goes back 400,000 years

Scientists have calculated that Earth is 4.54 billion years old, with an error range of 50 million years. Pretty sizable error range so the science isn't fool proof. 400,000 years could be just one climate cycle in the history of the planet. Especially when you're looking at something with 4.5B years to look back on.

It goes back further, this is the scale they chose for this specific article. Those are all individual cycles and our carbon parts per million is increasing at an exponential rate. And it is in no means a coincidence that around 1850 you can see the climate is getting ready to decrease again as would suggest by the previous cycles only to rapidly shift to an extremely steep increase right around the same time the industrial revolution occurred and humans began burning fossil fuels for industry. Anyways, you can believe what you want, lets take this thread back to snowmobiling. Something we can all agree on.

11 minutes ago, ChrisSleds said:

It goes back further, this is the scale they chose for this specific article. Those are all individual cycles and our carbon parts per million is increasing at an exponential rate. And it is in no means a coincidence that around 1850 you can see the climate is getting ready to decrease again as would suggest by the previous cycles only to rapidly shift to an extremely steep increase right around the same time the industrial revolution occurred and humans began burning fossil fuels for industry. Anyways, you can believe what you want, lets take this thread back to snowmobiling. Something we can all agree on.

Good call, even agreeing on snowmobiling is debatable at times !!

5 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Good call, even agreeing on snowmobiling is debatable at times !!

we can all agree winter snow = good

1 hour ago, ChrisSleds said:

Do you think taxing carbon will stop the climate change? 

36 minutes ago, zoso said:

Do you think taxing carbon will stop the climate change? 

Nope just a tax money grab for government. If we could get all countries to agree on same issues such as phasing out coal, that would help. China has added more coal capacity in last year, then what we phased out. 

4 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Nope just a tax money grab for government. If we could get all countries to agree on same issues such as phasing out coal, that would help. China has added more coal capacity in last year, then what we phased out. 

I would not mind taxation, IF, it was all dedicated to researching and building infrastructure designed to allow us to adapt to the changing climate. I believe with 100% certainty, that we cannot stop any changes or control how they present themselves. We will have no choice but to adapt to our climate, so why not be prepared to do so.

Back on topic. Went for a shorty. E105 is groomed, limited, but nice. Cop stopped me at a road crossing. he saw the sled about 300 meters down from the road, jammed on hois brakes skidded to a stop and reversed to block the trail head. Papers?? Nice enough guy, and no issues, but i still find it odd that they stop every single sled they see. it is as is we are being profiled....

I have no problem with the paper check.  Although when i get stopped on the same trail 3 times in a day lol it wears out.  As some have said there are fake permits out there so hopefully they catch them.

31 minutes ago, gobills said:

I have no problem with the paper check.  Although when i get stopped on the same trail 3 times in a day lol it wears out.  As some have said there are fake permits out there so hopefully they catch them.

Well this stop my permit paperwork was not asked, nor is there a law to carry it, so not sure how my dl ins and ownership could help on that front. I do like the cops being out there nailing the freeloaders. cops are the ones that can nail their ass to the wall, and should.

Honestly don't know the last time I was stopped around home.

4 minutes ago, soupkids said:

Honestly don't know the last time I was stopped around home.

Me either. guess I need to accept the hassle down here in the south. Got pretty used to riding 300 km mid week and not seeing another sled or cop.

7 minutes ago, zoso said:

Me either. guess I need to accept the hassle down here in the south. Got pretty used to riding 300 km mid week and not seeing another sled or cop.

That's me now.

Archived