Let's see some pictures of snow!!

Baylaker

21 hours ago, Denis007 said:

23632438_1545587998843929_64526696206839

BTW Zoso, we had that exact same camper .... :D 

Denis007, is this a groomed trail or a perfectly plowed and packed driveway/access road?  Looks to good to be true!

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Turbo Burgo said:

Denis007, is this a groomed trail or a perfectly plowed and packed driveway/access road?  Looks to good to be true!

Plowed forest access road, not sure if there is a camp back there or just the stocked lakes.  Based on the snow we are getting now packing/grooming should start for us this weekend.  

1 hour ago, Turbo Burgo said:

Yup.  It was only groomed for about 1/8 to 1/4 mile, wide open after that.  Like Matt said, they may clean the openings of access roads for sportsmen to park safely off the highway when going fishing.

Where we had parked about 20km North of this road, is usually open but wasn't that day.  It was at the limit of passable to turn around with the sled trailer in tow.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, next week looks like the temp drops 

3 minutes ago, Baylaker said:

Nice, next week looks like the temp drops 

Here is hoping that they do.

I recall last year, and the year before, the long range forecast was always showing the normal temps & precipitation for winter, but sure enough when the long range was now into the 7 day window, those temps were warmer and only got warmer as the days counted down.

I am optimistic about a good winter ahead of us, but also have some reservations.....especially when all everyone keeps saying it is going to a snowier & colder winter than normal, which usually the opposite is what happens when the long range forecast is presented.

Keep the faith... we aren't quite into December yet. A lot can change in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Keep the faith... we aren't quite into December yet. A lot can change in a few weeks.

Only usually ride a few hundred km's in December anyways. Last year snow came early and then all melted. Rather have a few more nice weeks, then have it all disappear again. Hopefully cold will stay once it arrives. 

I do not think we are going to get a colder than normal winter, but will get more snow. Lets just hope the days it breaks plus 3 we do not have precipitation. The evil January thaw seems to be a regular happening now and I have no reason to think it will skip us this year.

IF we get what is forecasted, there is no doubt we will still see the drastic swing in temp's....it is just the norm now a days.

The damage done by the warm ups will just depend how far north it reaches and for how long....plus how much of a base there is/was to loose.

The really crap part about this is, it completely destroys any road running....and with the amount of re-routes and closed trails, road running re-routes are on the rise & will continue to be......:banghead:

1 hour ago, stoney said:

IF we get what is forecasted, there is no doubt we will still see the drastic swing in temp's....it is just the norm now a days.

The damage done by the warm ups will just depend how far north it reaches and for how long....plus how much of a base there is/was to loose.

The really crap part about this is, it completely destroys any road running....and with the amount of re-routes and closed trails, road running re-routes are on the rise & will continue to be......:banghead:

Hey pessimist, relax. We will survive a January thaw as long as we get 3 weeks of cold and snow.

Weekly long-range update looking cold in the East

SHARE THIS

December 01, 2017; 9:28 AM

Below is may latest interpretation of the European weekly long-range output. I also take into account the current pattern, teleconnections and the CFSv2.

The strengthening west coast ridge will turn the West much drier and milder while directing waves of Arctic air southward through the eastern Prairies and into Ontario and Quebec.

The key will be trying to figure out where the East Coast storm track sets up. Should see opportunities for snow between the storm track and the cold air.

590x449_12011419_dec1a.png

590x449_12011420_dec1b.png

590x449_12011421_dec1c.png

The views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of AccuWeather, Inc. or AccuWeather.com

1 hour ago, reevester said:

Hey pessimist, relax. We will survive a January thaw as long as we get 3 weeks of cold and snow.

Weekly long-range update looking cold in the East

SHARE THIS

December 01, 2017; 9:28 AM

Below is may latest interpretation of the European weekly long-range output. I also take into account the current pattern, teleconnections and the CFSv2.

The strengthening west coast ridge will turn the West much drier and milder while directing waves of Arctic air southward through the eastern Prairies and into Ontario and Quebec.

The key will be trying to figure out where the East Coast storm track sets up. Should see opportunities for snow between the storm track and the cold air.

590x449_12011419_dec1a.png

590x449_12011420_dec1b.png

590x449_12011421_dec1c.png

The views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of AccuWeather, Inc. or AccuWeather.com

:icon_lolsign:....ya, I know. 

Things are looking good though and I am hopeful for a good winter......however the swing in weather pattern I think is here to stay, does not matter which season it is, just seems to be a norm now.

You have that kitty of yours all shined up and ready too go?

If it is a warm winter head north and they will have good trails with warmer riding temps. If it Is a normal winter can ride local. Either way I will ride some where, when I have time off as usual. I seen a snow owl yesterday which is a sign north is getting cold. Managed a few short videos too. 

6 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

If it is a warm winter head north and they will have good trails with warmer riding temps. If it Is a normal winter can ride local. Either way I will ride some where, when I have time off as usual. I seen a snow owl yesterday which is a sign north is getting cold. Managed a few short videos too. 

Co-worker said he saw one too the other week.

1 hour ago, stoney said:

:icon_lolsign:....ya, I know. 

Things are looking good though and I am hopeful for a good winter......however the swing in weather pattern I think is here to stay, does not matter which season it is, just seems to be a norm now.

You have that kitty of yours all shined up and ready too go?

Just need to change the chaincase oil.

2 hours ago, reevester said:

Just need to change the chaincase oil.

Taking mine in Tuesday for a fall tune up (plugs, suspension, etc) and some warranty work. 

2 hours ago, soupkids said:

Taking mine in Tuesday for a fall tune up (plugs, suspension, etc) and some warranty work. 

Sounds like a Polaris.... See you this winter for a ride. Maybe we will try and get up there this time. :cheers:

1 hour ago, reevester said:

Sounds like a Polaris.... See you this winter for a ride. Maybe we will try and get up there this time. :cheers:

Due to mobility issues I am not as able to do my own wrenching as I have done in the past.

I would be more than happy to ride a few days in the area if you up here.

https://runningmagazine.ca/paul-robinson-417-mile-antarctica/

And people say riding railbeds is boring. The sledding down below looks worse.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:29 AM, stoney said:

No doubt, losing access and forcing us onto roads is brutal. I really wish people would wake up, stop using loud cans, stop speeding through areas where pedestrians may be on trail, and stop trespassing. Is it really that hard to do? there are so many areas where you can go off trail on crown land, or speed that will never effect our trail access. if only people would take ten minutes and find the crown land, then make sure that is where they ride off trail, we would be much better off. Where we have no moved there is zero crown land and where I lived prior there was a million hectares just down the trail, now I know I cannot ride anywhere but on trail. It took me all of ten minutes to research and find I live where it is all private land. are people really this lazy, stupid, or is it that they simply do not give a crap about the rest of us?   Rant over.

A small percentage of people have no regard for other people. Some research suggests it may be around 4 percent. If this is correct, one out of 25 sledders will make their decisions based almost solely on personal pleasure vs personal pain. Not much will change how these people think about others.

Sadly, more than the typical number of such sociopaths are drawn to adrenaline sports. 

Without effective enforcement of existing rules, the outcome is bleak.

Lots of snow on the way! Get those cameras ready fellas!

Archived