Big Pussy

I am looking for reviews on Sudbury hotels in the area of the Wolf and Moose loops.  I am particularly interested in hearing about the Moonlight Inn and Chateau Guay Motel.

Quality of the rooms and beds.

Quality of the restaurant.

Truck/trailer parking.

Distance to other eating establishments.

PM me if you don't want to broadcast it.

BP

Restaurant at Chateau Guay is good home cooked meals.  Sunday morning gets very busy with locals after church.

I prefer the quality of the rooms at Chateau Guay, but the Moonlight is clean and comfortable.  Moonlight is a little more 'dated'.  Also, Moonlight has some housekeeping rooms which are handy if you are looking for that type of room.

The only hesitation that I would have with staying either place is that the trail in can be a little iffy depending on weather.  It crosses some swampy areas and can have more limited snow, it seems.  Check ahead with either STP or the locals on here before you go.

We’ve stayed at the Moonlight a couple times and like SJ’s review they are a little dated but clean and the owners were very friendly to us. I quite the restaurant at the chateau Guay, nothing fancy but good food.  The Sportsman’s lodge might be an alternative but I found it a little expensive for what he offers. 

BP,

I recall that you rolled thru Dinner Bell in Bonfield. Chateau Guay' s a lot like that ( without emphasis on dessert; butter tarts). I've stayed at Chateau half dozen times. Visited folks at Moonlight. Sledjunk's summary is bang on- both are motel style, roadside motels. Once parked, you're not near any activity ( get up, ride, return, dine at Chateau Guay' diner, breakfast as well, repeat). I keep returning for the trails. Apart from the 2  loops you mentioned, you can also run a day trip to the bridges and back ( French River and Pickerel River) as well as further south to Manitoulin Island. 

Both hotels are great hubs.

Soupkids provides great local info... I've PM'd him and his info is timely and accurate.

Thanks for the feedback.  The place must have been re-modeled from the last report I had.  Now I just need lots of cold and snow to get through the swamp.

BP

Chateau and moonlight are both typical motels other than the chateaux has really good food.

Keep in mind the direct route ( thru garson) is closed this year but the trail thru coniston not much longer (better riding IMO).

Pm me when the time comes and will fully update you on the conditions.

So does that mean trail 72 through Garson is closed or the connector trail across Garson Lake is closed or both ?

This makes doing the Cartier Loop a lot longer and a gas challenge for my T-Cat to go clockwise to Windy Lake.

BP

I think it's C trail from the swamp to garson.

Don't have a map and pretty drunk right now.

ITG SGOD SHOW IT.

Archived