Why is it a 190 bucks already

ToSlow

42 minutes ago, ToSlow said:

i thought the permits was 150 till tomorrow

190 is for the regular full season permit 

the 150 is for sleds 1999 model year or older until Dec 1

It went up by $10.  Last year the Early, early was $180.  Plus of course the $7.50 admin charge.  

I wish they would just set the price at $195 or $200 and bury the admin fee.  It's as bad as a car dealership and their "Admin" fee.  Not that the OFSC is using the admin fee for a new vacation home in the Bahamas like a car dealer does.

Trail permit, in spite of being the most affordable / biggest bang for the buck part of your snowmobiling experience, the most bitched about. Yes the admin fee rubs me the wrong was as well, yes please on bury it in the price.

JMHO

I blow more than the permit fee on preseason checkup of my 3 sleds. Hell I got more than that on my brand new 15 MXz and it has 600km on it, with the 2 older sleds to go over yet .... there's always something to work on or add.

You'll not soon be hearing me whining about permit fees :)

18 minutes ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

It's just one hell of a bang for the buck. Even though it costs a fair bit more, think the same about the Quebec permit.

The permit is one of the least expensive items of snowmobiling. If you break it down to a daily cost for a weekend only rider in a normal season.... January to March - perhaps 15 weekends of riding X 2 days each weekend. $190.00 / 30 = $6.33 per day of riding. I can't even get lunch at McDonalds for that. On a typical weekend for my wife and I; 4 fuel fill ups, 2, breakfast, 4 lunch and 2 dinners, hotel/motel accommodation perhaps a total of $350 to $400 per weekend. Trail permit.... :rotflmao::rotflmao: negligible in the grand scheme.

On 11/2/2017 at 8:55 AM, Domino said:

It's as bad as a car dealership and their "Admin" fee. 

Ya but you can negotiate that away, not so much luck with OFSC.

53 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

The permit is one of the least expensive items of snowmobiling. 

For sure.. I averaged 1000km a year when I had my GSX. That's less then 20 cents a klick. Oil cost per km was more then that.

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:55 AM, Domino said:

It went up by $10.  Last year the Early, early was $180.  Plus of course the $7.50 admin charge.  

I wish they would just set the price at $195 or $200 and bury the admin fee.  It's as bad as a car dealership and their "Admin" fee.  Not that the OFSC is using the admin fee for a new vacation home in the Bahamas like a car dealer does.

I am surprised there is still dealers charging Admin fees, OMVIC has very strict rules against that and can result in major deep trouble with them.

On 03/11/2017 at 2:50 PM, Nunz said:

I am surprised there is still dealers charging Admin fees, OMVIC has very strict rules against that and can result in major deep trouble with them.

OMVIC supports dealer admin fees by allowing them.  They only state that they must apply a set amount to all if they choose to have it.  They still range as high as $1200.  

OMVIC is there to protect the dealers, not the consumer.  Even when they state they are there for the Customer, it is really to protect their own industry against government regulations.  OMVIC is mostly smoke and mirrors IMO.  (Note:  My family has been in the Automotive industry all of my life and I have been a Licensed dealer in my professional career history).

I think my issue with the OFSC Admin fee is that it's not an OFSC fee that is going to the trails.  I know it costs money to provide the online/Credit card/administration.  Just bury the fee and advertise the true price of the permit.  

Adding the admin fee leaves the perception of deception and it really is an honest fee, unlike Car dealers...

On November-03-17 at 1:12 PM, 02Sled said:

The permit is one of the least expensive items of snowmobiling. If you break it down to a daily cost for a weekend only rider in a normal season.... January to March - perhaps 15 weekends of riding X 2 days each weekend. $190.00 / 30 = $6.33 per day of riding. I can't even get lunch at McDonalds for that. On a typical weekend for my wife and I; 4 fuel fill ups, 2, breakfast, 4 lunch and 2 dinners, hotel/motel accommodation perhaps a total of $350 to $400 per weekend. Trail permit.... :rotflmao::rotflmao: negligible in the grand scheme.

man let me know where on an average season you are riding 15 weekends....lol...

8 hours ago, Diceman said:

man let me know where on an average season you are riding 15 weekends....lol...

Have done lots of times in the past. Early start in mid to late December or late finish in early April. The past couple of years snow or lack thereof have been challenging but if you notice I did say Perhaps. From Saturday Dec 30 to Sunday April 8 is 15 weekends. There have been lots of times when the trails in our area have been done but there has still been good riding on Georgian Bay as well. You can also extend the season by traveling a bit north to where there is still snow. I still maintain that the trail permit is the cheapest component of snowmobiling and a great value.

nice incentive to buy a permit, instead of freeloading. my suggestion for Ontario would be a 500.00 fine, that would go to the club/district that caught the freeloader, AND  they have to buy a full price seasonal permit on the spot! no one would try to ride without a permit then. Ski

Rules without any enforcement are just a noise to be ignored by those who don't quite "get" society and how it works. 

Take a drive down almost any road in my neck of the woods to get the 3-D experience. It's like a hockey game with no ref these days. I can go WEEKS without seeing a cruiser, and peoples driving habits reflect this. 

Last year I rode 3k+ KM on Ontario trails, and never encountered any kind of patrol, or trailside check. This was through at least 6 club areas, mostly evenings and weekends. The year before, I was stopped once, at a speed trap, where the trail bottlenecked virtually all area traffic alongside a busy urban 4 lane thoroughfare. 

I rode in Quebec 2 days last year, (3 if you count the ride that lasted until ~3AM....) and 750KM. I was stopped twice by club volunteers, and twice by uniformed LEOs, and neither was at a road crossing, or similar easily accessible spot, it was always in the middle of nowhere, it seemed. This didn't include the people inspecting sleds in parking area and outside popular trailside establishments.

Please don't see this as anything other than what it is, an observation by a relative "newbie" to sledding in the last couple of years.

48 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Here is a post from our neighbouring Quebec Club.

Make special notice of cost if you are caught Freeloading.

This needs to happen in Ontario with Club enforcement.

I would love to see a fine like that given here in Ontario.

31 minutes ago, gobills said:

I would love to see a fine like that given here in Ontario.

Actually it seems that the $560 cost is structured as not being a “Fine” but rather the cost of buying the Permit on the trail if you are caught without one.

Their Trail Wardens can also issue Infraction Notices for various items and they submit them to their QPP office who then process and mail out the ticket.

Their Trail Wardens are much more numerous than ours and are assigned a schedule.

They are effective for many reasons not the almost useless Trail Patrol in Ontario.

This needs change to the MSVA by our Ontario Government.

2 hours ago, skidooboy said:

nice incentive to buy a permit, instead of freeloading. my suggestion for Ontario would be a 500.00 fine, that would go to the club/district that caught the freeloader, AND  they have to buy a full price seasonal permit on the spot! no one would try to ride without a permit then. Ski

Permits cannot be sold on the spot in Ontario. On line sales only unfortunately.

Archived