Trail Permit Purchase Screwup

revrnd

6 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I don't anticipate they are in India. Managed services is big business here at home in Toronto and Payment Card Industry audits would be conducted here. They also capture personal information which means they have to be PIPEDA compliant. They may have redundant servers with mirrored data bases and still have capacity challenges. Multiple servers can provide load balancing but you can still overburden that with a massive surge,

Apparently things have been back up and running for a quite a few hours now.

Whats that mean in english ? 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I don't anticipate they are in India. Managed services is big business here at home in Toronto and Payment Card Industry audits would be conducted here. They also capture personal information which means they have to be PIPEDA compliant. They may have redundant servers with mirrored data bases and still have capacity challenges. Multiple servers can provide load balancing but you can still overburden that with a massive surge,

Apparently things have been back up and running for a quite a few hours now.

No still down from what I can tell. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 8.23.29 PM.png

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

Whats that mean in english ? 

The servers would be here in Ontario especially since the process is tied to a provincial government document and they must comply with PIPEDA personal information protection electronic data act. They would not be in the OFSC office. There isn't enough protection of the data available in the OFSC office to be compliant. 

If if you collect and store credit card information you also are subject to a Payment Card Industry standards audit. They can remove your ability to collect and process credit cards. Doing this online is far different than the retail store with a credit card machine as for the trail permit the data is stored on a server. 

Basically this data would be on servers in a highly secure 3rd party data centre. Not one sitting on a desk or in India as someone suggested

Just tried and must be down again, no luck. Oh well if I can't get it tomorrow I won't bother.  Not much you can do about it. 

You know its bad when the PTS system returns a 404. Ouch.

Wow, you guys sound like a bunch of old hens, always bitching. Can tell there is no snow yet. The system is what it is, maybe not the best, maybe your area is not the best groomed but usually you can snowmobile somewhere in Ontario. Some things you accept because of the love and support for the the sport. if you live in Ontario and own a sled buy the permit and support. you never know things might improve and if not, there was likely snow somewhere in Ontario and you had the opportunity to ride.

I ordered mine 2 weeks ago .sounds like OFSC cheaped out on this and the new map .will just have to follow the sun to get around this winter 

IMHO the OFSC needs to publish more frequent updates on the Permit situation.

It has been more than 24 hours since their first and only post yesterday.

Obviously the timing is hugely unfortunate being that today is the final day of the Early, Early Bird Sale period.

No matter what happens regarding an extension, this is a PR nightmare.

It is not the first year of this system, so they have plenty of experience knowing what the demands on their server will be as the deadline approaches.

I signed up for the OFSC newsletter long ago and got an email about the situation yesterday

1 hour ago, Yamatario said:

Wow, you guys sound like a bunch of old hens, always bitching. Can tell there is no snow yet. The system is what it is, maybe not the best, maybe your area is not the best groomed but usually you can snowmobile somewhere in Ontario. Some things you accept because of the love and support for the the sport. if you live in Ontario and own a sled buy the permit and support. you never know things might improve and if not, there was likely snow somewhere in Ontario and you had the opportunity to ride.

This service was contracted out several years ago.  They have had plenty of experience knowing what the last-minute demands are on their server, if indeed that was the reason for the crash.

The OFSC is culpable in that they are not posting frequent enough updates.

From Facebook post, if it plays out this way, peeps are gonna go nutz.  

Just off the phone this morning with them, if they don't have the website fixed in time today and the Ministry doesn't let them extend the deadline and you don't have your permits yet, your paying more! I guess that's what I get for leaving it to the day before.....

The OFSC just posted the Ministry of Transportation has approved an extension to the deadline by the same amount of time that the system was down.  Seems fair.  They are asking people to stop trying to access the system until they get it resolved.

The Ethernet cord must be unplugged in there somewhere!

ethernet 2.jpg

19 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Ordered mine about the 10th of October. Everything went great and had the permit in hand a week later. I agree about the costly default for the tracking. Not what I would expect from the OFSC. I didn't take the tracking option, I believe the problems are stemming from too many people leaving it too close to the deadline to order their permits. Hopefully it bodes well for total permit sales numbers.

The wait until the last minute is typical and more importantly, expected behaviour.

It would be like believing that all of the OC members would be posting and browsing all year rather than expecting and knowing that you all show up when summer is over and then more show up after the first snow fall and then we get pummeled once trails start to open.   The system that OC runs on must be provisioned for the peak, not the average.

And we don't even charge a permit fee to be here  ;)

That said, there could be a reason besides volume that has caused the issues.  I have my doubts though.

35 minutes ago, grover_yyz said:

The Ethernet cord must be unplugged in there somewhere!

ethernet 2.jpg

You may laugh but there are far too many data centres like that. Amateurs....

1 hour ago, Old Sledder said:

Well over 400 comments on  Facebook. Most of it negative, too bad it's the bad issues that cause some of the highest amount of pub for our sport. 

I know it's sad.   So much negativity.    Today I replied to a post on facebook,  It was to give information to everyone that had commented, it was a good normal reply almost like what a PR guy would do for a company and this dude goes nuts on me.  I was like WTF?    

5 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

You may laugh but there are far too many data centres like that. Amateurs....

I see them almost everyday and i shake my head in disappointment.

3 minutes ago, The Groomer Guy said:

I know it's sad.   So much negativity.    Today I replied to a post on facebook,  It was to give information to everyone that had commented, it was a good normal reply almost like what a PR guy would do for a company and this dude goes nuts on me.  I was like WTF?    

Too often it is the messenger that gets shot....

b17919ebfc4751001df15ddf74ce6fc0--grumpy-cat-meme-grumpy-kitty.jpg

Archived