Trail Permit Purchase Screwup

revrnd

I bought my permits Sun' night w/ no issues. Tonight I went to purchase a permit for a friend who isn't computer savvy. A labouriously slow process tonight. Went thru the steps and after entering his credit card info & hitting next, the site timed out & I got an error message. WTF!

Does anyone know what I should do now? I've emailed the OFSC, but not sure how prompt they will be in responding.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check the account.  It should tell you if the sled has a permit assigned or not.  If the permit went through, it should show here.  If not, you should be good to retry.

Check the credit card for transactions being processed. As soon as I pay for anything with my credit card I can go online to the bank and see the transaction as pending awaiting a settlement transaction from the vendors 

50 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Check the account.  It should tell you if the sled has a permit assigned or not.  If the permit went through, it should show here.  If not, you should be good to retry.

I went back @ the time & the profile page says there is no permit available. I checked his email & there is no confirmation email of the purchase.

11 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Check the credit card for transactions being processed. As soon as I pay for anything with my credit card I can go online to the bank and see the transaction as pending awaiting a settlement transaction from the vendors 

I didn't know he had a credit card, so it'll be interesting to check tomorrow about a transaction.

I've heard the system may work better at non-peak times.

Just do it again.worst case he will get 2 and be able to sell one next week.

I see that you can't get to anything permit related as of 10 AM.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that leave things to the last minute. Even though your open to buy on your credit card is updated immediately it typically takes a couple of days to be actually posted and then you have about a month to actually pay for it depending on your billing date.

O2 the worse thing about my situation is Im dealing w/ a friend that is barelt above Amish when itcomes to tech & Im the 1 trying to do the transaction.

Checked his Visa card this morning & they have a record of the transaction. 

I have been trying off-and-on all morning to purchase a permit.  I have had mixed feelings about getting an Ontario permit this year (short season, heavy traffic, useless on-line trail map), and finally decided that I would buy one. 

Now the web-site is down - I have wasted over an hour grappling with it.  OFSC web-site can't even post a message to this effect, and I'm the only person in the world not on facebook I guess. 

Well, the decision has been made for me - I'll get a Quebec permit, and do without an Ontario permit - first time in at least 25 years, but this is just too frustrating.  

FYI - It's not an OFSC server that would be causing the problem. The permits are processed by a 3rd party. It would be their server(s) that have the problems. Or perhaps but less likely the network connectivity. It's not an uncommon challenge faced by business processors. 95% of the time server usage hovers around 20% - 25% of capacity. Then there are those sudden surges where they hope they have enough processing capacity to handle the demand. When the traffic surges they will see a lot of time outs and possibly server processing getting hung. In terms of the network they may simply not have enough total band width to handle all the communications traffic. It's a real roll the dice and hope for the best based on historic volumes used to predict load. There are systems running virtual servers with things like VMWARE. They have one very large processor broken down to virtual servers with a specific amount of capacity allocated to each processing system. With those you can shift capacity from one below capacity program to another over capacity program.

I suspect and am optimistic that they anticipated traffic based on last years numbers and that the traffic has exceeded their forecast significantly enough to cause the system problems which would mean there are a lot more people buying permits than anticipated OR perhaps there are a lot more that waited to the last minute to decide.  

Still down. I have been sitting on the fence as well and tried to buy two permits this afternoon, but still down. If I can't get it to work before tomorrow night's deadline, I will just buy a few daily passes this season. Works out about the same for me anyway's.

I imagine if the system is down and people can't buy before the deadline they would extend the deadline by the amount of time the system was not available.  It's not our fault it crashed, and we shouldn't be penalized for it.

8 minutes ago, paulslund said:

I imagine if the system is down and people can't buy before the deadline they would extend the deadline by the amount of time the system was not available.  It's not our fault it crashed, and we shouldn't be penalized for it.

Looks like it has till before Nov 2nd. 

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that leave things to the last minute. Even though your open to buy on your credit card is updated immediately it typically takes a couple of days to be actually posted and then you have about a month to actually pay for it depending on your billing date.

I was waiting for SNOW!

After the reminder email that I received last night, I thought that maybe I should buy a permit.  I have been hesitant as last year I was not impressed with the grooming in my area.  When I say "Not Impressed" I mean...

There have been changes and people trying to make it right this year.  So let's hope I can get somewhere, even just once would be an improvement from last year.  The weather had a lot to do with it, the Club was accountable for the rest of the lost season.

So I hopped on to the permit site, error, error, error....   Finally got in, loaded my cart, checked out.  Made an error in the drop down for the year of my CC expiry.  CRASH!!  No reason given.  Took me a minute to catch the $10 cash grab for tracking.  It doesn't show in the cart until your checkout, but you have to deselect it on the prior screen.  Nice try!  

An hour and a half  later, I have spouted expletives that would make a trucker blush.   

Finally completed with confirmation email at 11:56PM....

This is the 3rd? year of mandatory (Feels like it) online purchasing and they still failed miserably.  

36 minutes ago, Domino said:

After the reminder email that I received last night, I thought that maybe I should buy a permit.  I have been hesitant as last year I was not impressed with the grooming in my area.  When I say "Not Impressed" I mean...

There have been changes and people trying to make it right this year.  So let's hope I can get somewhere, even just once would be an improvement from last year.  The weather had a lot to do with it, the Club was accountable for the rest of the lost season.

So I hopped on to the permit site, error, error, error....   Finally got in, loaded my cart, checked out.  Made an error in the drop down for the year of my CC expiry.  CRASH!!  No reason given.  Took me a minute to catch the $10 cash grab for tracking.  It doesn't show in the cart until your checkout, but you have to deselect it on the prior screen.  Nice try!  

An hour and a half  later, I have spouted expletives that would make a trucker blush.   

Finally completed with confirmation email at 11:56PM....

This is the 3rd? year of mandatory (Feels like it) online purchasing and they still failed miserably.  

Ordered mine about the 10th of October. Everything went great and had the permit in hand a week later. I agree about the costly default for the tracking. Not what I would expect from the OFSC. I didn't take the tracking option, I believe the problems are stemming from too many people leaving it too close to the deadline to order their permits. Hopefully it bodes well for total permit sales numbers.

6 hours ago, 02Sled said:

FYI - It's not an OFSC server that would be causing the problem. The permits are processed by a 3rd party. It would be their server(s) that have the problems. Or perhaps but less likely the network connectivity. It's not an uncommon challenge faced by business processors. 95% of the time server usage hovers around 20% - 25% of capacity. Then there are those sudden surges where they hope they have enough processing capacity to handle the demand. When the traffic surges they will see a lot of time outs and possibly server processing getting hung. In terms of the network they may simply not have enough total band width to handle all the communications traffic. It's a real roll the dice and hope for the best based on historic volumes used to predict load. There are systems running virtual servers with things like VMWARE. They have one very large processor broken down to virtual servers with a specific amount of capacity allocated to each processing system. With those you can shift capacity from one below capacity program to another over capacity program.

I suspect and am optimistic that they anticipated traffic based on last years numbers and that the traffic has exceeded their forecast significantly enough to cause the system problems which would mean there are a lot more people buying permits than anticipated OR perhaps there are a lot more that waited to the last minute to decide.  

So to sum all this up - they should have rented TWO servers in India? :icon_munching:

Should see a increase of people riding without a permit AGAIN this year .they are just hanging themselves .

34 minutes ago, slomo said:

So to sum all this up - they should have rented TWO servers in India? :icon_munching:

I don't anticipate they are in India. Managed services is big business here at home in Toronto and Payment Card Industry audits would be conducted here. They also capture personal information which means they have to be PIPEDA compliant. They may have redundant servers with mirrored data bases and still have capacity challenges. Multiple servers can provide load balancing but you can still overburden that with a massive surge,

Apparently things have been back up and running for a quite a few hours now.

Archived