Soucy Track Groomers

signfan

Looking for first hand experience from anyone that owns and runs one of these units.  How do they do in the hills?  On ice?  Is studding them a worthwhile endeavour?  How heavy of a drag are you pulling?  In comparing them to a Sur Trac do you find they are a better unit or not?  What's holding up well on them and what keeps breaking?

we had/ have a number of them in what was the Golden Triangle Snowmobile Association part of District 5. I was always told by some of the groomer captains and some operators that they didn't do well on steep slippery hills such as the one going west from the St. Clements clubhouse. Those units didn't have the studded tracks. The track kits were new with each tractor so we didn't have many issues with them. I think they still prefer the tractor / Soucey units because of the number of tractor dealers that makes for easy to get service in this area. The area has a lot of trail on farm fields/ hydro right of way and railbed with some bush but not alot.

• 2 weeks later...

They will climb as long as there is a base and its not icy, they are niceer to drive then a 2 track unit.......they use 2/3 more fuel then a TS110 with the suretrac. This is with a Case Puma 140 pulling a sledgehammer. 

Our 2 track Massey got replaced with a Deere with Soucy tracks part way through the season so we'll see how it works starting from scratch.

But it worked very well, no issues with traction. We are on the western edge of D1, while we do have flat farm land, we also have half our trails in hilly forested areas (small ski hill nearby but far from  mountainous) that has a couple of hills that the Massey didn't like, even with the base set up.

It is also a LOT more thirsty than the Massey, drag is the same. Maybe will get better after fully broke-in??

Interesting.  Wonder why the fuel issue?  Just larger motors in the tractors with a heavier drag also?  Or is the track setup causing the increase in consumption?   I'm glad to hear you guys like the setup.  Looks like that's where we're going.   Gonna try without studs first and see how things fair.

20 hours ago, signfan said:

Interesting.  Wonder why the fuel issue?  Just larger motors in the tractors with a heavier drag also?  Or is the track setup causing the increase in consumption?   I'm glad to hear you guys like the setup.  Looks like that's where we're going.   Gonna try without studs first and see how things fair.

Should be harder on fuel than a twin track tractor. Just look at it. One rotation of the axle on the twin track will get you further than one rotation of the axle of the 4 track tractor.  

I am hoping some of the extra fuel usage is related to break-in period. Some will definitely be due to having a usable front blade. The Massey only had a simple 2way blade best described as a bumper. The new Deere has a 6 way blade so it is used a lot. 

The tractor is geared down some, as top speed is down compared to regular farm tractors, but I don't think that should change fuel economy as engine rpm wouldn't change much and grooming speeds never come close to highway speeds. 

The only way fuel consumption will get better is to put a programmer on it, they are all that way,  it takes allot of power to turn those tracks, lots of resistance. The final gear ratio is not far off  what the production tractor is.

Archived