OC group ride

gobills

On 10/21/2017 at 6:16 PM, slomo said:

Just blue skying here.....

One of the best ones was centered around raising money for the Kelly Shire's charity - the Jolly Roger motel(as it was known then) provided a nice central spot to stay with good access to the many trails in district 10. Not suggesting a repeat of this, (the women have pretty well got their own ride going) but certainly the type of location and setting was ideal. There were 3 different types of rides so your personal riding style could be accomodated. It took a pile of organizing though - former forum member Maple had a big part in it and I think Giddy Up? There were rides previous to this along the same lines, but this one had a banquet, maybe dance,  not sure what else.

South Seguin and Six Star usually organize some kind of poker run in the same vicinity - perhaps piggy backing on this event might work.

Our departed doonut organized a Muskoka Lakes tour in 2008(?) which was well attended but was only a day long thing.

Yes!  We had such a great time with our "OC Ride for Kelly"  - It was a great venue for our "OC get together" and raise some funds for a great charity and include both men and women in the ride.  It was always a challenge to find a venue that was close to or on the trail - with adequate accommodation for all involved as well.  There were two locations we booked.  One being the Quality Inn in Parry Sound - great location for most.  Good trail access, lots of rooms for accommodations, rates were also good and restaurant/banquet facilities as well.  The other was The Riverside in Bracebridge.  FYI the 18tg Annual Kelly Shires Snow Run is scheduled for February 2nd - 4th out of Hidden Valley Resort in Huntsville again - in case any of our lady members would like to join us this year :D   Good luck with the planning - I look forward to seeing what is arranged and perhaps be able to participate once again in an OC Ride with some great folks!  GIDDY UP and bring on the SNOW! 

Not to try to hijack the thread or idea but if D12 (Yes Sudbury area) is a destination of choice I would be more than happy to set up a few days of rides, possibly with an overnight ride to the northern edge of D12

I'd be up for this as well with hotel close, since I trailer pretty much everywhere. 

3 hours ago, Giddy UP said:

Yes!  We had such a great time with our "OC Ride for Kelly"  - It was a great venue for our "OC get together" and raise some funds for a great charity and include both men and women in the ride.  It was always a challenge to find a venue that was close to or on the trail - with adequate accommodation for all involved as well.  There were two locations we booked.  One being the Quality Inn in Parry Sound - great location for most.  Good trail access, lots of rooms for accommodations, rates were also good and restaurant/banquet facilities as well.  The other was The Riverside in Bracebridge.  FYI the 18tg Annual Kelly Shires Snow Run is scheduled for February 2nd - 4th out of Hidden Valley Resort in Huntsville again - in case any of our lady members would like to join us this year :D   Good luck with the planning - I look forward to seeing what is arranged and perhaps be able to participate once again in an OC Ride with some great folks!  GIDDY UP and bring on the SNOW! 

I would vote for the Quality Inn Parry Sound... lots of rooms, park the sled at the door and right on the trail. Proximity to a larger number of people may draw a larger participation.

Does the QI (or whatever it is called now) still have a restaurant that does not serve dinner, or closes early (can't remember which). AFAIK, the restaurant service was very limited which is why I haven't visited that facility for a few years for sledding.

Hopefully, some locals will chime in as to whether, or not, this location is of the quality and service that it was when we had the OC ride there.

1 hour ago, Wildbill said:

tappatoo would be my choice 

Pricey, lowest price at this point $169.00 per night in February, plus taxes, 15% compulsory gratuity for large groups in restaurant, BUT could get a good deal per person (check the website) if somebody was going to get married and we were all invited.

Parking pretty bad as I remember at the Prostate Cancer thing a few year's ago, but may have improved. Did not realize they had 53 rooms - larger than I remember.

Super 8 - formerly Quality Inn - formerly Jolly Roger is $105 per night. -mixed reviews about this place and have no doubt Wild Bill is being kind by not mentioning some of the things he knows.

What I'm thinking is riding out of the sportsman.

Yes it's a bit out there but I'm sure I could talk George Into a group $$ 

Let's pick a weekend and get some kind of a head count.

Have to start somewhere.

13 minutes ago, soupkids said:

What I'm thinking is riding out of the sportsman.

Yes it's a bit out there but I'm sure I could talk George Into a group $$ 

Let's pick a weekend and get some kind of a head count.

Have to start somewhere.

Good spot, Soup

Should I start some prelim planning ??

I may be in, depending on when.

9 minutes ago, 14 snow said:

I may be in, depending on when.

Same here.

Hi guys girls,

Im thinking of Orilla/Muskoka/Haliburton area for a weekend type thing, but i want this to be a pole type thing where we can get the most of us together at once for a great ride. I feel that this is a good area as most of us can travel a few hours from any direction.  Also I'm thinking if a weekend thing is too much for some people maybe we can swing a nice ride around for the day.  We have some great people on here that can give advice on good day rides.  I realize that some will be travelling and overnight is probably the best idea and head out on a Saturday.  

Ill be bringing both the kids so anyone else that has kids bring them along.

Im thinking the 1st weekend in Feb or the second weekend.

So here we go! poll

Weekend 

Day ride

First weekend (Feb 3/4) is "Try Our Trails" free weekend:hyper:

Don't think we want to do it that weekend!

Day ride on a weekend.

I applaud gobills for starting this thread, but it's a bit like trying to herd cats. We should probably be trying to organize multiple group rides rather than "a" group ride. The plans will develop as conditions and individual availability allow.

This site has members from all over Ontario and beyond. Each season there are several rides in various parts of the province involving multiple OCers; some of us ride only through the week, and others only on weekends; some folks ride with families and some with the speedy high milers. Some prefer overnight trips and some prefer day trips.

W/ the way my riding has suffered the last few years I wouldn't mind hitting both a day type ride lets say in the Muskoka or Parry Sound areas (mid week) or a weekend type gathering in D11 or D12. 

To try and describe an area the ideal for me and likely my wife would be D7 D8 and D10. I know she won't do a 4 hour drive just to get there. Date wise I can at this point do any date. As for type... We ride at what could be called a family pace. High speed get from a to b as fast as you can isn't what we do.

Archived