New restaurant/brewery looking to attract sledders

MartinCooks

Hey everyone. 

Martin here.  Formally of Iron Skillet in Kearney. As some of you may know, I had moved to Edgewater Park Lodge after closing down the business. After almost 3 years with Edgewater I was approached by, what used to be a regular customer at the skillet.  He and his friends had started a new business venture in craft beer. 

Long story short... They are finally Brewing some really tasty beers, and wanted me to open up a restaurant with them. 

I'm will be relocating much further south than Kearney, and was hoping to get some of you guys through the doors. I will be talking with the team about sponsorship with the forums.  

I am currently looking to figure out which trails run through here, but it sounds like a few do.  

We are in Torrance between gravenhurst and bala on hwy 169. I'm currently in the works of building a menu.  It's a somewhat smaller room for the time being, roughly 40 seats. But there is gas just up the street, and we are looking very forward to making this area a nice stop on the trails, that you guys all look forward to hitting up. 

Any feedback or trail location for the rest of the boys and girls would be much appreciated.  This owner also owns the "Pie Woodfired pizza joint" building which is directly in front of the brewery.  Unfortunately the pizza joint closes for the winter, because the building isnt insulated. 

Cheers guys. 

Martin

It took me a moment to figure out where Torrance is - just east of Bala. Basically, the road (hwy. 169) between Bala and Gravenhurst, but way closer to Bala. Trail info to follow.  Looks to be a GREAT lunch spot for us folks in the Six Mile Lake, Port Severn, Coldwater area. Prime spot, if trails pan out.

Reach out to Admins. for sponsorship on this site. 

My son and I have great memories of the Iron Skillet. Good luck in the new venture.

What's the craft beer name(s) produced by the brew house?

Clear Lake Brewing Company. 

So far we have 3 core beers.  A session ale, an IPA, and a cranberry raddler (using bala cranberries).  Also have an amber ale in the tanks as we speak, as well as a nice rich stout.  From what I understand, the boys have a cream ale in the works as well. 

Thanks for the kind words.  Looking forward to a good season. 

Martin

C101D is the closest OFSC trail (about a mile of road-running when conditions allow). The road-running from the end of Trail 9 is a slightly longer distance, on a less active road.

You can be reached with less road-running via an unofficial route known to a few locals, but this path will be difficult to convey to the masses. It involves an unstaked lake crossing.  There is also an abandoned OFSC trail that would be handy if it could be reopened. Contact the MLSTA club. The thirsty Torrance and Bala boys will soon sniff you out. 

Here are the two road routes, but I hesitate to post the routes that involve unstaked lakes or abandoned trails.

torrance3.jpg

Here is a pic of the new place

Thought i would throw you a plug Martin as we are working around the corner

20171020_083856.jpg

Thanks for the mapping Blake. 

Martin, you and/or the others at Clear Lake would do well to petition the club to reopen the trail.  And be willing to assist $$ with the reopening.  Should be the proverbial win/win.  

1 hour ago, SlowTouringGuy said:

Thanks for the mapping Blake. 

Martin, you and/or the others at Clear Lake would do well to petition the club to reopen the trail.  And be willing to assist $$ with the reopening.  Should be the proverbial win/win.  

West of the Southwood Road crossing there's been an OFSC "trail closed" sign on the north side of C101D for at least five or six years - - and it seems to head in the general direction of Torrance - - but I'm too much of a newbie to know the trail's destination. Someone a littler older and wiser might know the route....

On 19/10/2017 at 8:58 PM, MartinCooks said:

Clear Lake Brewing Company. 

So far we have 3 core beers.  A session ale, an IPA, and a cranberry raddler (using bala cranberries).  Also have an amber ale in the tanks as we speak, as well as a nice rich stout.  From what I understand, the boys have a cream ale in the works as well. 

Thanks for the kind words.  Looking forward to a good season. 

Martin

Awesome news Martin!! I am happy for you in a new adventure. Ive often wondered as I drive by there alot going to and from work in gravenhurst from parry sound about your place, but now i know! ill have to try out pie sometime while they are still open. 

I do echo Blakes remarks and definitely contact the local club which im sure is MLSTA.... They should be right on board and try their best at getting a trail to your establishment or see into reopening up that one trail. Lots of possibilities here :)  Do keep me in the loop as i'll try any contacts I have in the area in the club about this... 

That would be amazing. 

I'm meating with the team on Thursday, and I'll touch base with them regarding all of this.  I'll contact the club shortly afterwards.  Just want to make sure Im not forgetting anything before I do.  Anyone who has info or direct contacts that I could use, feel free to send them to me via private message.   

Thanks again everyone. 

Martin

Also, if any of you guys would like to chime in with some trail grub favorites let me know.  Much like the old skillet, I will be doing a lot of chalk board features, along side a menu of our everyday things. 

Fire away. 

9 minutes ago, MartinCooks said:

Anyone who has info or direct contacts that I could use, feel free to send them to me via private message.   

Thanks again everyone. 

Martin

Done

3 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Done

Thanks Blake.  I'll try my best to get some butter tarts in house for ya!

3 hours ago, MartinCooks said:

Thanks Blake.  I'll try my best to get some butter tarts in house for ya!

I'll echo the same... buttertarts!!!!!! Gotta have raisins though.

3 hours ago, MartinCooks said:

Also, if any of you guys would like to chime in with some trail grub favorites let me know.  Much like the old skillet, I will be doing a lot of chalk board features, along side a menu of our everyday things. 

Fire away. 

clubhouse and soup

a staple is a good bowl of chile

7 hours ago, MartinCooks said:

Fire away. 

All righty then.....

Venison stew....(from Mad Musher in Whitney)...make it your own.....

venison.jpg.2241ea0f678f60849a559edc0c9f5168.jpg

This perfect lunch has stayed in memory for years - filling, yet not so much you needed a nap. No real gas problem as I recall either.

Also had raspberry sauce on back ribs once - from the road side place next to Leatherdale Marine in Orillia - hasn't been on the menu for years though - won a ribs contest with it in Barrie one year they say. Come to think of it, we had a great venison with raspberry sauce in a Collingwood restaurant one time. Guess you could substitute cranberries...add sugar....

Can't beat a good meal of weiner schnitzel ....use veal, or pork....both are good (stuck that in for Dave K) chicken even works well and you can brag it's organic....

schnitzel.jpg.6807832a635bfc639ff50b3f38736599.jpg

A perogy cabbage roll combo....

59ee8d08244ac_perogiescabbagerolls.thumb.jpg.74c8ccf8ee68814ea782d12d5f91bdff.jpg

Or maybe some omega 3 brain food - pickeral fillets and home fries......(walleye fillets sounds damn stupid doesn't it?)

59ee8d14e8068_pickeralfillets.thumb.JPG.307ad2552c984c1b53eb3c4fd576e901.JPG

Next trip by, will drop in a try some of that cranberry radler...grapefruit radler is going down pretty well.

Picked up a few tins of the Cran Radler on the way to the camp.....pretty good! Should be healthy too....isn't cranberry juice supposed to be good for the urine stream? Have to google it....

Some very interestingly shaped (large)  glass beer bottles if you have to convince someone that "I thought the bottle would look good next to the fire place holding some flowers...." 

Archived