2018 Haliburton Trail and Snow Conditions

On 12/21/2017 at 12:16 PM, 02Sled said:

Actually right now is ideal for a good solid season coming. It's best to get lots of cold before the snow arrives. As an insulator snow only delays the opening of trails. A couple of feet of snow on top of soft marshy ground and wet spots doesn't firm up quickly like it would without the snow. Likewise a couple of feet of snow on top of a thin layer of ice on a lake hinders the thickening of the ice.

Patience.. if anyone can ride in December it's a bonus. Just think how much better it will be if we have solidly frozen ground and a foot of ice on the lakes before the snow arrives in significant amounts.

True, I do know this. As you know it's so hard to have patience when you wait all year. I'm looking forward to a good year of riding. Hopefully, we get a nice snowfall in the next week or two.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rail Trail by my house looks good. Lots of sled tracks and good and packed. KLSA and HCSA both did one pass and the sleds have done the rest. Tomorrow will be the last day to go again for a few days as the groomers around here don't go Christmas eve or day. Everyone needs some time with their families, still snowing right now and has been on and off all week. Won't be long until we at least get some limited trails.

Livin'

18 minutes ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Rail Trail by my house looks good. Lots of sled tracks and good and packed. KLSA and HCSA both did one pass and the sleds have done the rest. Tomorrow will be the last day to go again for a few days as the groomers around here don't go Christmas eve or day. Everyone needs some time with their families, still snowing right now and has been on and off all week. Won't be long until we at least get some limited trails.

Livin'

I see the rail trail from Lindsy to Kinmount has gone yellow.

See!! I was right! We got one part of the Rail Trail Limited. Usually less snow south of Kinmount than North, so let's see what HCSA does now. I'm going for a rip south and have a look.

Livin'

16 minutes ago, livin' on the b103 said:

See!! I was right! We got one part of the Rail Trail Limited. Usually less snow south of Kinmount than North, so let's see what HCSA does now. I'm going for a rip south and have a look.

Livin'

Let us know how it is. Going up in morning if still yellow. Thanks.

1 hour ago, livin' on the b103 said:

Livin'

Save some for the rest of us will ya!

From HCSA:

"A request from Dysart et al and the HCSA.

We have been approached by the Municipality of Dysart (Haliburton Village) about snowmobiles in the business section o...f town.

Riding sidewalks is prohibited under the Motorised Snowmobile Act and Dysart et al Bylaws. The HCSA knows riding sidewalks is not cool. Please Stay off of ALL sidewalks.

We have also been advised snowmobiles are not allowed on any portion of Head Lake and Rotary Parks (the large park north of the business area) or at Sam Slick Park (across from the jet and locomotive)? Please DO NOT ride in these areas.

Dysart and the HCSA ask that all snowmobiles be parked in the Head Lake Parking lot but not past the orange caboose.

Overnight parking for all vehicles, cars, trucks, trailers and sleds is not allowed.

The HCSA is committed to being a good neighbour. This post is extremely important for the safety of everyone, pedestrians, motorists, and sledders alike.

The HCSA appreciates your cooperation. Please share this important message."

17 minutes ago, Blake G said:
From HCSA:

"A request from Dysart et al and the HCSA.

We have been approached by the Municipality of Dysart (Haliburton Village) about snowmobiles in the business section o...f town.

Riding sidewalks is prohibited under the Motorised Snowmobile Act and Dysart et al Bylaws. The HCSA knows riding sidewalks is not cool. Please Stay off of ALL sidewalks.

We have also been advised snowmobiles are not allowed on any portion of Head Lake PARK and Rotary Parks (the large park north of the business area) or at Sam Slick Park (across from the jet and locomotive)? Please DO NOT ride in these areas.

Dysart and the HCSA ask that all snowmobiles be parked in the Head Lake Parking lot but not past the orange caboose.

Overnight parking for all vehicles, cars, trucks, trailers and sleds is not allowed.

The HCSA is committed to being a good neighbour. This post is extremely important for the safety of everyone, pedestrians, motorists, and sledders alike.

The HCSA appreciates your cooperation. Please share this important message."

just put the park in there for you.

Torches, just got back. Kinda, put the sleds back in the garage and had a couple of beers. I'll post the conditions of our ride on your Rail Trail thread as it relates to that.

Yukon, we just rode it bare don't bother! Just kidding see above, it's worth waiting for!

Blake, the town had HCSA address this issue and that of riding on sidewalks etc. last year as well. I am going to guess this is from HCSA Facebook site, but is a non-starter if their trails are not open this weekend.

Gobills, you getting up over the holidays? We need to meet up for a ride.

Livin' 

54 minutes ago, gobills said:

just put the park in there for you.

Good eye, Jeff! I noticed that error too, but quoted the message as provided.

that will be a long haul ( in snow boots) to Mckeck's, probably hurt their business....

19 hours ago, gobills said:

Going to be tough parking on weekends there at lunch time.  That grass area at the end of the lakes always ramed with sleds.  Lets just hope people obey the rules.

Lots of people ride thru park and across the little bridge when lake isn't safe. They salt and plow road so much how are you suppose to get over to park street area of town. One time I came down park street to get on lake by new condo's someone put docks in the way preventing lake access. Only option is to ride thru park and get on lake after the river. Like they don't want snowmobiles riding thru the area in winter. 

Rail line south of Kinmount is now green.  I would assume North of Kinmount has to be close. 

2 hours ago, mgooding said:

Rail line south of Kinmount is now green.  I would assume North of Kinmount has to be close. 

Not enough snow north in HCSA territory, cough cough. . Maybe in new year. Sounds like hail-bump is back and time to avoid area again. 

And so it begins.

Now that we are on the other side of the Christmas Holiday, with lots more snow, we should be seeing lots of activity ( panning at least ) on the trail system and lots of updated, current info on the HCSA website and Facebook page - which have been very sparse on info so far this year. Trying to remain upbeat for this season... 

The rail trail is GREEN up to Kinmount. I'm green with envy and red with questions.

VR700, you should get that cough looked at!! LOL!! KSLA now green, good news.All we can do is wait. They were posting on Facebook almost every day, mostly telling us want we shouldn't do!! Now nothing. Go to trails on website sends you to facebook?

Livin'

18 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Not enough snow north in HCSA territory, cough cough. . Maybe in new year. Sounds like hail-bump is back and time to avoid area again. 

I am not going to dump on the new group.  I don’t volunteer (live 3 hours from the area), but I know there is a lot of work that goes into it.  

I cant expect them to be grooming over Christmas.  Sure KLSC has been out, but other then them, it’s pretty RED across the Ontario map.  

Hopefully it’s good to go this weekend and we all have a fantastic New Years!

8 minutes ago, mgooding said:

I am not going to dump on the new group.  I don’t volunteer (live 3 hours from the area), but I know there is a lot of work that goes into it.  

I cant expect them to be grooming over Christmas.  Sure KLSC has been out, but other then them, it’s pretty RED across the Ontario map.  

Hopefully it’s good to go this weekend and we all have a fantastic New Years!

You'd be surprised at the number of people that do expect them to "get out and do their JOB" even if it is Christmas day.

Love the -20c to -30c temperatures.

Hopefully the lakes (especially Kushog) are safe soon. Last year we didn't feel comfortable riding them until forth week of January due to mild temperatures and heavy snow cover. We appreciate all the HCSA volunteers! 

Thanks HCSA for the efforts in getting the rail trail open to Haliburton. The first step to a great sledding season !

I'll be home in a half hour, I'll let you know it looks. Was pretty beat.

Livin'

• teener unpinned this topic

Archived